Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14

Author Topic: For the 2 Adams  (Read 9985 times)

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
Re: For the 2 Adams
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2008, 06:10:00 am »

quote:
If you put DF on the shelves, it would sell.

Technical question: doesn't it already sell? That's why donations are for. I doubt the standard way of distribution (paying for a copy) would be more effective.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2008, 08:20:00 am »

I guess next time when im trying to point out a specific part of a quote, ill just paint some flames around it in paint because bolding it doesn't seem to help.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2008, 08:28:00 am »

Subject, since you love mankind so much.  Come over here to Southern Ohio and take a spin as a bagger at the local grocery mart.  Before I did, I truly thought there might be a few smart people left in the non-internet.

A folly.

Shoes...

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2008, 08:28:00 am »

XD @ how this thread turned into a flame war. So silly.

Anyways, you know why DF hasn't be picked up by a publisher, and won't be for quite some time? It's the same reason why there is no other game out there like DF. I'm not one of those idiots who seem to think indie > funded games just because one happens to be away from "the man", but I can guarantee you, though gamers love DF, companies would not. Such is the fate of almost ever Roguelike out there. Games like DF are only possible BECAUSE of independent developers.

A publisher doesn't just shovel money into your lap. They control you. They tell you who can work for you now. They give you deadlines. They censor things, tell you to get rid of things, add things they think are marketable. They change everything, and they have you by the balls with that little check you cashed.

There's a reason companies like EA get so much hate. They're not in it for the product, just for the money. It's cliche, but true.

[ June 10, 2008: Message edited by: SirPenguin ]

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2008, 09:24:00 am »

Well, if DF is ever published, it should go through Steam.  Lots of indie games.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2008, 09:59:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Cthulhu:
<STRONG>Subject, since you love mankind so much.  Come over here to Southern Ohio and take a spin as a bagger at the local grocery mart.  Before I did, I truly thought there might be a few smart people left in the non-internet.

A folly.</STRONG>

I would just like to point out that if someone has to move from one place to another simply to prove a point when it hasn't been proven to them in their place of origin, it does not serve as any real evidence. Perspective is heavily dependant upon location, and moving to a different area works both ways.

Also, (as always) I think everyone is making just a LITTLE too much of a deal out of this, because I can't quite see any major company being willing to buy a game like DF, and I don't see Toady as willing to sell.

In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2008, 11:03:00 am »

I appreciate the DF community because it's one of the few communities that doesn't engage in flame wars exactly like this one. Come on guys, can't we just agree to disagree? It's all a matter of opinion; no one is right or wrong in this. Personally, I don't want to see DF picked up by EA, but I kind of doubt they would be interested. We'll just have to see how it plays out of the next few years.

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2008, 11:56:00 am »

RattyBoy has obviously just begun his journey in to the sheer awesome that is DF.  He just wants Toady and ThreeToe to get all of the money they so richly deserve.  He just happened to pick a very unpopular method with which to do that.

This game can not be subject to the standard development crunch, because it is being crafted with love by a true artisan.  Perhaps once Toady feels the game is complete he will look for a publisher.  Perhaps not.  It is not for us to say.

What it boils down to is this: If you love the game in progress, donate.  It's the donations that allow Toady to spend so much time with this project, rather than doing the 9-5 grind to which the rest of us are subject.

As for the apparent "flame war" in this thread, it seems to just be one person attempting to start trouble, so don't worry about it.  It just so happens that many of those who follow gaming and game development have very strong feelings in regards to EA in particular.

Rattyboy, I for one welcome you to Dwarf Fortress!  You seem to be having some measure of success with the game, which is fantastic for a newcomer.  I spent two weeks pouring over the forums and the wiki before I ever generated a world.  That being said, feel free to ask questions!  Despite what you may have seen in this thread, we're all friendly and happy to help.  Also, in case you haven't found it yet, here is a link to the DF Wiki.

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2008, 12:07:00 pm »

The only reason I don't want any publishing house to take DF is because the pressure they would put on the game would kill many of the features planned and remove a lot of what it has already been done. They would publish a half-assed product and we would have to pay for expansions that add meager features like new races and such but really no new gameplay features. Any new version would only provide nicer graphics and remove features that didn't prove to be popular. They would also simplify the game to expand the playerbase.

And no, this isn't an elitist statement. Not everyone likes everything and to have mass appeal you have to remove stuff that others don't like. And a lot of people hate DF's complexity. You can find comments of people who loved 2D DF but hated the addition of the z-axis and stopped playing. There's also people that hate how Toady is doing his work and wish him to stop adding features, close the game, and start fixing all the bugs left. That's clearly not my case since I keep adding suggestions.

[ June 10, 2008: Message edited by: Zemat ]

You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2008, 12:18:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Has SNH ever actually contributed to these forums?  Every time I see him he's just doing a troll impression.

Umiman, Boom Blox cannot erase the years upon years of torture, desecration and horror that EA has inflicted upon the gaming world.  But yes, Boom Blox is cool.</STRONG>

You contribute to forums just by posting, you don't have to make a million stories that noone will ever read to be a "contributer", this isn't Wikipedia it's an internets forums.

[ June 10, 2008: Message edited by: subject name here ]

Keizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Proving dwarven motorcycle gangs are yankees too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2008, 12:20:00 pm »

This was....quite the welcome for Rattyboy. A well-intentioned comment from a new player and we get raving madmen calling for a vendetta against EA. Not that I disagree with that. But let's all try and be more civil to newbies, hmmmmmmmmmm??
火族

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2008, 02:19:00 pm »

But, dude...  EA is evil.  We need to spread the word, regardless of where we spread it!

In any case, welcome to the forums.  Don't worry, we're not always this...  Well, irritable.

Okay, so maybe we are.  But we're not always this irritated.

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2008, 02:24:00 pm »

Anyone notice the OP hasnt responded to any of this?  Poor Lunatic.

also, thanks to all those in this thread I have now added to my:

**Always Ignore**

list of forum posters.  your helping to streamline my forum reading time!  thanks!

PS:  THANKS TO THE 2 ADAMS FOR THE WHOLE BUNCH OF AWESOMENESS_BEYOND QUALITY_WIN that is DWARF FORTRESS!

[ June 10, 2008: Message edited by: Gorjo MacGrymm of Clan MacGrymm ]

"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2008, 02:25:00 pm »

Read us the list!
Shoes...

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2008, 02:27:00 pm »

Shhhhh!  Dont wake up the trolls!
and yes, of course, moin/copx is the God of that list
:P

[ June 10, 2008: Message edited by: Gorjo MacGrymm of Clan MacGrymm ]

"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14