Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [39e] Dwarf Caravan brings Dead animals that then return to life  (Read 1079 times)

bretrags

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I started my very first "cold" region game about a week ago.
I play vanilla DF, no mods, no pop caps, no 3rd party programs, sorta just learning (I've had lots of "fun") before I start chinging things around.

Anyway, I always asked the initial dwarf liason for cows,horses,cats and dogs at 200% value.

The second year that the caravan came, there were lots of cages, but no animals in them, so I didn't buy any, and repeated the request to the liason.

The third year, they brought even MORE cages, but still, no live animals (the elves and humans did though, in spring and summer I think).  So I bought the cages, and when I looked in them, they were not actually empty - they had "horse corpse" and "cow corpse" etc. And my butchers started to slaughter the corpses for the meat... still no problem.

Then I saved the game while the traders were still there and when I resumed playing that fort, lo and behold, all the previous "corpses" were live animals.

Is this something to do with the temperature? Or did the corpses sitting in the warm saved fort for about a week provide some sort of magic healing on them?

Again, elves and humans brought live animals in the warm months, dwarfs brought cages that they sold to me for cage values, and then when I re-opened the game, the dwarf cages that I had bought were full of live animals.

thanks in advance for all your help.  Unfortunately, I didn't have seasonal saving enabled for this fort, so I can't provide a save showing this effect.  :(

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: [39e] Dwarf Caravan brings Dead animals that then return to life
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 12:33:02 pm »

I don't know about the "resurrected" animals, could you provide a save? I mean, if you see it again. I'm very interested.
And we definitely need an indicator that shows that there're dead animals inside the cage (like little (o) - "occupied"). It's a pain to examine every cage and to look inside is there anything or not.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: [39e] Dwarf Caravan brings Dead animals that then return to life
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 07:35:28 pm »

Corpses are items and living creatures are not items, and there's no code that'll move a corpse item to a unit, so if the corpses were replaced by living creatures, I have no idea how that would happen.  If the living creatures were there in addition to the corpses it might make more sense as some sort of bug with the death flag.  Without a save I'm not going to be able to figure this one out.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!