Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [39e] <name> cancels Releasing Small Creature: Need Empty Trap. spam  (Read 5355 times)

Aaron5367

• Bay Watcher
  • [X] Chasm All Animals
    • View Profile
    • http://www.aaron5367.com/

There was already a thread on this, but I decided not to bump, and to just start a new topic. Using the latest version of Dwarf Fortress, I am getting spammed about my removing my maggots from their cage. I'll update this as I figure out how to fix it. I don't know what they want from them, unless they want to eat them... They are tamed as well, you can find them on the level below the last level in a cage.

Screenshot:
http://images.aaron5367.com/aaron/dfbug.png

I was going to post a save, but to fix this, I assigned the maggots to their cage. I'm assuming the same bug/fix would work for other vermin.

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [39e] <name> cancels Releasing Small Creature: Need Empty Trap. spam
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 08:45:32 pm »

Vermin need to be kept in either a cage or an animal trap (make them at a carpenter's workshop, but you need the trapping skill, not the carpentry skill, to make them). A trap is also needed, as I recall, to tranfer them from one cage to another. (How about milking purring maggots? Does that require a trap to transport the maggots as well? I've never had any maggots before.)

The only exception to the be caged or trapped rule that I'm aware of is when the dwarves adopt one as a pet, unless that's been changed since the 2D version.
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 05:22:19 am »

Another exception is when the dwarves shove them in their backpacks as a snack for Ron.   ::)

I spent ages trying to locate "missing" vermin until I realised they were the Dwarven version of military rations.

Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

Aaron5367

• Bay Watcher
  • [X] Chasm All Animals
    • View Profile
    • http://www.aaron5367.com/
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 12:34:29 pm »

(How about milking purring maggots? Does that require a trap to transport the maggots as well? I've never had any maggots before.)
Yep

I've noticed that going to another cage, and accidently selecting and deselecting a maggot would start this spam too.
---
In my experience every time I catch a maggot, it gets munched on its way to the cage. If it does get there, after it is milked it gets munched. If you tame them, you can't seem to milk them either.

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 01:58:49 pm »

I've noticed that going to another cage, and accidently selecting and deselecting a maggot would start this spam too.

I think what happens in that case is that the vermin is no longer considered assigned to the first cage; thus the dwarves want to let it out, but they need a trap to do so. Going back to the first cage and reassigning the vermin should, hopefully, fix it (I think that's how I stopped the spam when I tried to let one out once). Otherwise, you'll just have to make an animal trap.

If it does get there, after it is milked it gets munched.

I think that milking creatures uses them up, sort of like how you lose the bar of metal and charcoal when you smith something, or lose the log when you make a barrel, etc. Maybe they're "milked" the same way a lemon is... :o

Back to the spam issue, I think a good fix to stop it would be to automatically reassigned the vermin to the cage that it's already in (or the last one it was in), if possible, but still spit out a job cancellation message. If it's not possible to reassign it to the cage (it's not tracked, can't be found out, etc.) then maybe just let it go free with a message indicating that a vermin escaped because of the lack of animal traps.
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 07:41:27 pm »

Okay, I'll note down the spam problem.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!