Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Breeding Unicorns?  (Read 2169 times)

Dr. Von Uristein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Breeding Unicorns?
« on: August 07, 2008, 03:12:46 pm »

So, in one of my forts I've managed to capture several unicorns in cage traps, and I decided that I'd like to breed them as a source of meat, leather, and bones.  Looking at various animals in the Wiki, it looks like I'll need to add the following tags: [CHILD:1][CHILDNAME:unicorn calf:unicorn calves] and [PET_EXOTIC] I could add [PET], but I'd like for my Dungeon Master to have some work to do.  I'm planning to keep the [BUTCHERABLE_NONSTANDARD] tag for the same reason.  Can anyone think of anything I'm missing before I start mucking around with the RAW's?
It puts the golden salve on it's skin...

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
Re: Breeding Unicorns?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 03:15:42 pm »

Maybe you could add trainable too, war unicorns would be pretty badass.  ;)
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 03:42:11 pm »

If you want to use them as a source of meat, bone, and leather, change them to standard in the butcherable tag.

Dr. Von Uristein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 04:07:30 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply.

If I leave the [BUTCHERABLE_NONSTANDARD] tag as is, I should be able to butcher them after they've been tamed right?  I'll make them butcherable standard if I have to, but It will feel a little too easy to me if there isn't some work involved in breeding and taming them.

Maybe I will add trainable.  The gobs on this map are extra annoying.

By the way, is it the ModValue tag that influences the value of items made from animals?

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 04:34:53 pm »

By the way, is it the ModValue tag that influences the value of items made from animals?

Affirmative. I once got it mixed up with petvalue so i ended up being able to embark with 1000+ war velociraptors.  :P
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 05:14:32 pm »

Uh, are you using 38c or something?  [BUTCHERABLE_NONSTANDARD] doesn't exist anymore.  I believe all that stuff is controlled by civ ethics now.

Dr. Von Uristein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 05:34:22 pm »

I'm using 39e, but this is my first modding attempt with DF.  I've been combing through the Wiki and the forums so I can at least attempt to ask semi-intelligent questions before I start breaking things  ;)  Well, I guess I'll do some more digging and then start breaking things.

Thanks again to everyone for the help.  I'll report back when I get some time to muck around with the relevant items.

-edited for completion
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 05:48:07 pm by Dr. Von Uristein »

mizipzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 03:15:53 am »

Dont forget to report back! Im quite curious as to how this turns out.  :D

Dr. Von Uristein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 10:08:19 pm »

I'm hoping to get all the testing done in the next few days.  I've only had time so far to test vanilla unicorns to get the base line.  Vanilla unicorns are huntable, and unicorns brought in by a hunter get butchered.  They are not trainable by animal trainers at the kennels.  This fort doesn't have a DM yet, so I'll start by adding the [Pet] tag.  I also still need to test if a colony of captured vanilla unicorns will breed.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 12:07:15 am »

I'm hoping to get all the testing done in the next few days.  I've only had time so far to test vanilla unicorns to get the base line.  Vanilla unicorns are huntable, and unicorns brought in by a hunter get butchered.  They are not trainable by animal trainers at the kennels.  This fort doesn't have a DM yet, so I'll start by adding the [Pet] tag.  I also still need to test if a colony of captured vanilla unicorns will breed.
Not while in cages.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Dr. Von Uristein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2008, 02:06:43 pm »

Yeah, I'm aware of the cage issue.  I'm going to set up a breeding pit soon.

Progress has been slow due to incesant golin ambushes.  6 ambushes in less than a year in a 25 dwarf fort is a bit much.  Apparently I embarked on a goblin ambusher convention.

Addition of [PET] tag is sufficient to make unicorns tameable, and they become butcherable in the stock menu once tamed.

Dr. Von Uristein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 12:11:19 pm »

Still working.

Massive goblin ambushes led to me finally having to give them the [AQUATIC] token.  I don't think they'll be much of a problem anymore.  I can finally experiment in peace  :P

I have some tame unicorns hanging out in a room in my fort.  I'll give them a year to breed before I start playing with more tokens

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 09:36:05 pm »

Hiya folks,

I began experimenting with this in my current fort and have successfully begun breeding tame unicorns.

To do this, I added the following tags:
[PET_EXOTIC]
[NATURAL]
[CHILD:1][CHILDNAME:unicorn foal:unicorn foals]

I caught some wild unicorns, tamed them and then pitted them. After roughly a year (after adding those tags) I got my first foal. :)
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.