Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Preserving valuable stone  (Read 19368 times)

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Preserving valuable stone
« on: August 07, 2008, 07:06:45 pm »

Req447, PRESERVING VALUABLE STONES, Completed: There should be a way to stop valuable stones like obsidian from being used in general stoneworking jobs.

Completed? How?
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Preserving valuable stone
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 08:17:13 pm »

Where exactly is the suggestion?

Tacroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 08:19:10 pm »

This belongs in Gameplay Questions. I think the original poster was just confused because it was from a feature list.

Anyway, it was completed with Stones in the z-menu. Hit z-right-right enter and you'll see.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 02:43:04 am »

Economic stone, yes, but there still is no way to preserve obsidian (apart from forbidding), which is explicitly mentioned. And it's in the suggestions forum because now I'd like to suggest to implement a similar standing order for all types of materials the player wants to preserve.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

pavlov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 03:09:28 am »

Agreed, this option should not be limited to so-called economic stones. Obsidian is more valuable than the 'economic' flux stones, and bauxite is necessary for magma-operating mechanisms, sometimes being rarer than adamantine (!)
This animal is waiting for conflict.
Ready for slaughter? (Y)

CrazyEyes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 03:13:19 am »

This would be nice to see.

Especially with bauxite, I can't count the number of times I'd intended to save up a certain type of stone I mined or traded for, only to discover that some mason was making cabinets or doors out of it.
I'm glad all the DF players are not living in one district. It'd be the most dangerous district for the whole world.
Actually, it'd be the most dangerous district in hundreds of thousands of worlds, starting with 'Xah Rabin' The Dimension of Omen. 

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 03:36:39 am »

Especially with bauxite, I can't count the number of times I'd intended to save up a certain type of stone I mined or traded for, only to discover that some mason was making cabinets or doors out of it.

A feature I'd like that would inherently solve this problem and some other ones besides would be to allow stoneworking tasks to be specified with particular types of stone, just like how metalworking jobs are specified with particular metals. So instead of ordering 'rock crafts' or a 'rock cabinet' you'd order 'microcline crafts' or a 'gypsum cabinet'. I don't think it would cause a significant increase in micromanagement since most fortresses only have two or three types of rock available in very large quantities. And it'd make the otherwise meaningless 'special' rocks somewhat more interesting, and make it easier to match dwarf preferences to materials (you can order up a set of cobaltite furniture specifically for a dwarf that likes cobaltite, for example, or if you're building a hidden back door in a talc cliff face you could order a talc door constructed for it).

Could perhaps extend this to types of wood too, but I've noticed there tends to be a much more diverse mix of logs produced at all the sites I've done much logging at so this might be more of a hassle.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 01:24:14 pm »

The really easy fix that can be inferred, but is not clearly stated here:

Add bauxite and obsidian to the economic stones category.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 09:22:27 pm »

I'd love a similar feature as with metalworking. "Make dolomite blocks" and such would allow crafting uniform types of stone stuff as well as preventing valuable stone from being accidentially used up.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 09:37:35 am »

I think he just added [SHARP] into the list of tags that define a stone's importance. Give that tag to bauxite, and you'll have that too. :)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 10:15:54 am »

I think he just added [SHARP] into the list of tags that define a stone's importance. Give that tag to bauxite, and you'll have that too. :)

Of course, if you restrict it as an economic stone in that way, it won't be usable in jobs other than making bauxite short swords.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 10:38:29 am »

Unless you unrestrict it, that is. :)

My hacky Manual Stone Selection has all stones listed as economic, and people liked even that...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 11:01:24 am »

I think Toady's going to have to create a "make magma-proof [floodgate/hatch cover/mechanism]" task and the tag [MAGMA-PROOF]. A bit clunky, but the only way I can see without going all the way and allowing people total control over which stone is used.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 11:05:58 am »

A feature I'd like that would inherently solve this problem and some other ones besides would be to allow stoneworking tasks to be specified with particular types of stone, just like how metalworking jobs are specified with particular metals. So instead of ordering 'rock crafts' or a 'rock cabinet' you'd order 'microcline crafts' or a 'gypsum cabinet'. I don't think it would cause a significant increase in micromanagement since most fortresses only have two or three types of rock available in very large quantities. And it'd make the otherwise meaningless 'special' rocks somewhat more interesting, and make it easier to match dwarf preferences to materials (you can order up a set of cobaltite furniture specifically for a dwarf that likes cobaltite, for example, or if you're building a hidden back door in a talc cliff face you could order a talc door constructed for it).

Could perhaps extend this to types of wood too, but I've noticed there tends to be a much more diverse mix of logs produced at all the sites I've done much logging at so this might be more of a hassle.

I'll go you one better--how about just two options: "Make rock crafts/whatever," and ">Make specified rock crafts/whatever." The latter would spawn the menu to select what type of rock, and for extra clever coding points could restrict the menu to only showing types of stone that exist at the site or have been imported. (Of course, this might lead to finding out you've got something hidden by seeing the menu, so that end might need to be scrapped. "Oh, I'll just make some microcline cabinets for that noble who li... wait... raw adamantine is listed?! WOOHOO! Dig! Dig!")

Economic stones could be listed and grayed out, to show that they exist but are unavailable for that task. Trying to select them would pop up a warning saying "you must deselect this stone as economic before you can make this craft from it. Would you like to do that now? Yes/No"
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 11:37:13 am »

Only list items for which the raw materials are available (as stones) and you've got gold.
Pages: [1] 2