Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: DF invading other games  (Read 6677 times)

Tyrving

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Poster/Dabbling Troll
    • View Profile
Re: DF invading other games
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 07:42:00 am »

I did a free trial for EVE not too long ago, actually. It was alright. Had a learning curve nearly as steep as DF's, though. As far as MMOs go, I'm really anticipating Warhammer Online. I remember seeing something about one of the devs (I think) being a DFer, so, regarding the thread title, I wonder if we'll see any references in the dwarven areas? Maybe an NPC named Urist, or something of the like.

Tommy2U

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2008, 08:17:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Dasleah:
<STRONG>Oh, and everyone who plays (or wants to play) EVE should read this. One of the greatest stories ever told.</STRONG>

Yup, that's some good reading, even though some people claim that Nightfreeze's scam never actually happened. Anyway, it looks as a pretty unsofisticated advance fee fraud, at least in comparison to some RL scams which I witnessed when capitalism was unleashed in early 90's on gullible populations of the former Eastern Bloc.

I've been considering waiting for Warhammer online as well, as Conan has mixed reviews. Anyway, there's still the free trial for EVE. And the post office strikes might not end in two weeks which means that my credit card for online payments won't arrive from my bank by then.
Or I might come to senses on my own (working freelance and MMORPGs don't mix well  :).

That's Install Planetary Overlord, not Initial Public Offering.

Magnus Nordir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008, 08:23:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Ioric Kittencuddler:
<STRONG>It sounds like a combination of early Ultima Online and Star Wars Galaxies, in space.  Hm...  If I had an income I think I might actually like it.  You don't get to build things though do you?  I mean like structures.</STRONG>

Everyone can manufacture items like ammo, weapons, ship modules and ships out of materials they either buy or refine from ore they mined. Player-run corporations and alliances can make capital ships (dreadnoughts, carriers, motherships, titans), space stations and colonize moons.

Rollio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2008, 08:57:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Cthulhu:
<STRONG>I played it for a few days with a Trial Account.  It was pretty fun, but I've heard bad things about it.  Like it panders to the hardcore few, at the expense of casual gamers.</STRONG>

That's true in a way, The PvE is somewhat lacking though they're working on it, trying to PvP in a casual sense would land you in with the PvP for the lulz crowd which can be a very empty experience.
The conflicts between sovereign player organisations can last far longer than the average length of time an account is subscribed. The first and only war that I've been heavily involved with lasted over a year and a half.

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2008, 09:28:00 am »

Did the trial about a year ago. was decent albeit an insane timesucker. Not to mention like in all Moogs what you are realy doing is sucking up to somone bigger that you to get a job and in the end get paid which will allow you to do what you want.

I did not se the point in doing this on my freetime.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2008, 05:03:00 pm »

I liked it, it felt like I could come and go as I pleased... skill train the long stuff when I'm offline and the short stuff while I'm doing other things.  Ultimately I stuck with Final Fantasy 11, because I felt like I could reach "the top" quicker, and not have to get engrossed in a guild if I didn't want to.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2008, 05:22:00 pm »

Reading the Great Scam completely turned me off of EVE. I think Boatmurdered was a solid description of DF gameplay, and it actually made me want to play DF. So as majestic as it might seem, it's not fun to me to fly for hours and hours just to get somewhere to buy a ship. And if, as the author said, mining and trading are pointless, and PK is everywhere, um ... where is the fun at? So yeah, thanks, because for a while back in 2007 I was thinking EVE looked pretty hawt.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2008, 05:27:00 pm »

Played the trial for two weeks.  Started hearing about people who cut vacations and roadtrips short, so they could get back to EvE and start training their next skill faster.  (IE, seven days at Disneyland?  Yay!  Hey wait...I'm done training Battleship Piloting III in FIVE days...Uh...I guess I'd better come home early, so I can queue up the next one and not lose any time.)  I guess a laptop was somehow out of the question.

It was fun, but the older I get, the less time I'm willing to spend.  I could have played it in high school; it would have hurt my grades in college; now that I'm working, I just can't justify it.

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2008, 08:39:00 pm »

I played EVE on a free trial account. There were a lot of things I liked about the game. However, my biggest problem with EVE was how long it took to travel around. I spent more time watching my ship move from jumpgate to jumpgate than I did actually playing the game. It seemed like you needed to invest a lot of time in the game if you wanted to advance. Personally I don't like that kind of gaming anymore. I'd much rather sit down and play a game where I can have fun and quit when I want to without having to worry about progression.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2008, 11:31:00 pm »

EVE is an interesting idea, but IMO it has way too many flaws to be worth playing.

The skill system, for example, is very different. You train skills over time, based on your stats and so even when you are logged off you advance. Unfortunately, the downside is that there is nothing* you can do to to make them train faster, and so you quite literally can never catch up to the people who have been playing for years. That's right, they will always be better then you at everything and there is nothing you can do about it.

Or take the economy. Virtually everything is player made. This is great, and it actually works out decent enough... except combined with #1 there is little point in you, as a new player, making anything. The older players all have skills that make manufacturing more efficient so you are better of just selling the raw materials because you make more money.. except you don't even really get very much money from selling ore because older players have giant mining barges that can mine as much in 30 seconds as you can mine all day.

Then there is PvP. I'm not opposed to PvP, except in EVE PvP seems to equal assholes sitting at gates between systems ganking people before they even load, with no penalty. This is made twice as bad by the fact you lose your ship and money (from a clone to keep your skill points). There are also fleet battles and such I guess but good luck with that unless you join one of the uberguilds.

*Technically you CAN increase skill train rate with implants that boost your stats, but they are horribly expensive and rare and don't solve the core problem - that you can't actively gain more 'exp' or anything like that.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2008, 11:55:00 pm »

It really is a game that is best played with a pool of friends and associates. It's not really like WoW where you can be as anti-social and solitary as you want and still be able to do a fair amount. Hell, even I managed to get within spitting distance of 60 in WoW with no Guild and only pick-up groups.

Perhaps we should form a DF Gaming Guild or something like that so that playing games like these would be easier.

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Domini0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2008, 12:44:00 am »

Well that person is me!
You've finally given me a legitimate  reason to create a forum account. I'm tired of lurking anyway, It makes me feel unwelcome in this incredibly hospitable board.
I figure Urist is was a good stereotypical character name. I actually think Urist rather than Bob or Joe, its funny really. By the way, when are we going to go pirating. I can use a hauler for the loot  :D

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2008, 03:58:00 am »

I used to play EVE a bit, and while some complaints about the game may be justified, there are ways around the majority of the problems.

First off, Travel times and gate campers.  Sure, they both suck,, the reason being that warping to a gate puts you, what?  15 km out or so?  And then you fly in the rest of the way, taking your sweet time and being easy pickings.

Of course, you can also warp to way points.  Markers set by you in space.  And guess what, you also warp in somee 15 km away from them.  ... Hmm..  So the first time you get into a system you feel you may travel in again, head passed the gate oh say.. 15 km and set a way point.

*Bamf*  And the gate campers cannot stop you.  Heck, make waypionts from the belts right to the bases for your miners and all over the system.  Best part is, once you've laid the ground work, you can copy the waypoints and give them out to all your friends.

Secondly, PvP and the idea that you can't do much solo.  Yes pvp can be annoying, and running large PvE battle with friends can be fun, but you can work solo.  It just takes time and a bit of help to figure out how.  (You'd be suprised how  helpful and informative some of the pirates are.)  Yes, it is true that sometimes your running around hunting NPC pirates and someone in a bigger, shinier ship blows you up just because they can.  But you are not helpless.

I played pretty much solo the entire time I played, and when some guildie trashed my ship, I was guildless and all my friends worked in a completely different sector of space, so turned pirate on his entire guild and took it on alone.  And with that entire sector waypointed for my use I could work right out of the same bases they used and could get away even if they brought in a posse.

Granted, the guy who got me, and a few of the dedicated miners were too much for me to take on alone, but I did manage to get in a few kills and harrassed the guild for long enough that the within two weeks I'd become somewhat infamous.  The newbies in the sector were messaging me in hopes that I'd leave them alone and guild leader finally asked for a ceasefire and offered reperations.

Of course, after that I felt there was nothing left to do and haven't played since.

I'd say try the free trial before deciding that WoW or some other is a better MMO.  I really don't care for most MMO's but EVE managed to capture my attention for almost as long as Planetside did.

Is it a bad sign that I purposefully deface masterwork engravings because I understand the importance of the throwing skill?

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2008, 04:46:00 am »

Oh sweet juicy Planetside.  With your Galaxy air transports so large.  how I wish thee were not owned by SOE and thus made to suck...eth...

EVE does sound like it could be really cool.  Though I'd prefer to try the trial with someone I knew.

Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Tommy2U

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2008, 05:24:00 am »

OK, I've decided to try the trial. I'm downloading the client.
I'll post my character name late, when I set up the account, in case onyone would like to hang out with me in-game. I'm in Europe, GMT +2.
I can't commit full time to the game (have to make a living).
That's Install Planetary Overlord, not Initial Public Offering.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6