Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: DF invading other games  (Read 6679 times)

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
Re: DF invading other games
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2008, 07:15:00 am »

On Dungeons and Dragons Online, I named a dwarf fighter "Bomrek Thunderstone". ^_^
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2008, 12:19:00 pm »

I just want to say, I would get frustrated really fast with any game where you can lose several hours or even days' worth of progress due to the actions of another player in the same game. Reminds me too much of real life.
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Domini0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2008, 03:43:00 pm »

God I love planetside. I have character that should be a five year vet now, if only I could remember the name...

Robke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2008, 05:53:00 pm »

I am someone who has played eve-online quite a bit for about one-two years. I'm currently not playing, but thinking of starting again after my exams are finished. I think I may be able to shed more light on some of the downsides of eve-online, as I have some more experience than 'tried the trial, didnt like it'.

quote:
Originally posted by BurnedToast:
The skill system, for example, is very different. You train skills over time, based on your stats and so even when you are logged off you advance. Unfortunately, the downside is that there is nothing* you can do to to make them train faster, and so you quite literally can never catch up to the people who have been playing for years. That's right, they will always be better then you at everything and there is nothing you can do about it.

It's true that you will never gain more skill points than someone who has been playing for a longer time. It's not true that you will always be worse.

First point, skillpoints don't mean all that much. A well set-up ship will be able to kill a worse set-up ship. All ships are weak against other ships. I would even dare to say that in this game, new players are a lot stronger relatively than in other games. For example, I personally once killed a caldari navy raven (which was one of the most expensive ships back then, at about 1 000 000 000 isk) with 2 cruisers and an interceptor (approx. 10 000 000 each). Calculate modules (weapons, shield boosters etc.) and the difference is even greater.
The gain per skillpoint decreases exponentially. LVL 5 takes about 4 times as long as 1 to 4. You generally gain 20% bonus with lvl 4 and 25% with lvl 5. For the real specialization skills, this bonus often reduces to only 3% or 2% bonus per level.

Next point is that the amount of skillpoints you can use in one 'branch' of ships is limited. This means that a specialized newer player can be as good as a veteran player in a certain ship. A veteran player will have more different ships he can fly effectively. But this is not limited to them either, new players can get this diversity at the cost of not specializing as much.

quote:

Or take the economy. Virtually everything is player made. This is great, and it actually works out decent enough... except combined with #1 there is little point in you, as a new player, making anything. The older players all have skills that make manufacturing more efficient so you are better of just selling the raw materials because you make more money.. except you don't even really get very much money from selling ore because older players have giant mining barges that can mine as much in 30 seconds as you can mine all day.

It's true that mining is pretty useless for new players. However, you can build effectively as a new player. I believe the only skill that really improves industry much is one that reduces the mineral cost by 4% per level. You can get this to lvl 4 in a few days. Sure, you miss out on the 4% extra that the veterans have, but it will still make a profit.
Even new players can get large profits by trading. It doesn't need a lot of time, just a good trading spirit.

quote:

Then there is PvP. I'm not opposed to PvP, except in EVE PvP seems to equal assholes sitting at gates between systems ganking people before they even load, with no penalty. This is made twice as bad by the fact you lose your ship and money (from a clone to keep your skill points). There are also fleet battles and such I guess but good luck with that unless you join one of the uberguilds.

Here I am kind of divided. Let me start by saying you don't need to join an uber guild to get in fleet battles. However, when I last played really big fleet battles lagged pretty hard and weren't all that much fun (IMO!), as it is mainly fire primary, fire secondary, hope you don't get shot. The thing about this though is that you and your friends can really change the eve-universe by controlling large amounts of space and this is a great feeling.

I liked the small gang fights. Here, every ship fills a role and you can make a difference even in your little just-above-starter-ship. It is pretty fun, and the feeling you can really lose something makes it quite 'intense'.

Last pvp options as I see it is soloing, for this you don't nééd good skills (as in ingame skillpoints), but you need to be willing to try and get killed a few times before you get someone. The key here is target selection, and you need to know a bit about the game to know which targets you can kill.
To give some perspective, I killed my first other  player ship (larger and more expensive than mine at the time) before my trial was over.

I agree that gate camping happens a lot. However with this, as long as you stick to low-security and empire, are in a reasonably fast ship and don't afk you will not be killed by gate-camps. There is a 30 second cloaking time after jump during which you are invulnerable and if you are in a fast enough ship you will have time to go away before the campers have time to lock you down.

The major problem I had with this game is that it is pretty time intensive. I found it hard to find many targets to shoot at, and if you are on an op with your corp (ingame guild) it can take a couple of hours before anything really happens.
In return for this you get moments of the most exciting pvp I ever had in any mmorpg.

[ June 12, 2008: Message edited by: Robke ]

Thingy Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Disemboweld
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2008, 12:28:00 pm »

Has anyone mention the Guiding Hand Social Club infamous shakedown?

Direct link to it. http://eve.klaki.net/heist/

If someone has already posted this and I missed it just ignore me, I'm tired and posting. Not a good combo.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2008, 05:55:00 pm »

On the original topic of DF invading other games... Show of hands, who's going to try to make a GCS in Spore? *raises hand*
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2008, 08:39:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Ghost of a Flea:
<STRONG>

I've been playing for six days and already several of my skills will take nearly a week each to train to the next level. I imagine the top-tier skills will take even longer.

And it is in fact an insane time-sucker. I've probably already logged twenty-four hours of play.</STRONG>

Some of the really high end stuff can take months. Multiple months.

The depth, learning curve, economy, and sheer size of EVE means that it caters to the hardcore.

Not that casual play isn't possible of course. I have a character I just play with on occasion for fun. I let my account stay inactive, and when I feel like playing I just pay to reactivate for a month and spend time enjoying/training that one character.

Sure it's slow and I'm probably relegated to lowbie pursuits, but it's fun and doesn't get tedious.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2008, 10:40:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Alfador:
<STRONG>On the original topic of DF invading other games... Show of hands, who's going to try to make a GCS in Spore? *raises hand*</STRONG>

I feel bad for whoever gets THAT imported at the top of their food chain.

Player: Ha! With these new spears my warri-
Tribe cancels hunt: interrupted by Giant Cave Spider
Spore Tip: Weapons won't do any good on these monsters. Your only hope is to find another continent and launch into space as soon as you can to nuke the planet. It's the only way to save the universe.

When GCS's gain sentience: Gave over for everybody.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

MaxVance

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Internet User
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2008, 11:18:00 pm »

I'd like to give EVE a try but it won't run on MacBooks for whatever reason. Curiously, it runs on most other Intel Macs.

As for Spore, what about carp?

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2008, 11:42:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by MaxVance:
<STRONG>I'd like to give EVE a try but it won't run on MacBooks for whatever reason. Curiously, it runs on most other Intel Macs.

As for Spore, what about carp?</STRONG>

Not sure if aquatic creatures are still in.  You could make hovering or zombie carp, though.

[ June 14, 2008: Message edited by: Qmarx ]

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2008, 01:27:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Qmarx:
<STRONG>

Not sure if aquatic creatures are still in.  You could make hovering or zombie carp, though.

[ June 14, 2008: Message edited by: Qmarx ]</STRONG>

Even if they did remove them they'll probably allow you to add them back in by buying an expansion pack.

I think there already was a giant spider thing in one of the videos.

Hm... I wanna make a dwarf species now...

Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

frostedfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2008, 05:12:00 am »

I'm waiting for warhammer - bring some of my -<<iron>>-s (complete with spikes of gold) over too  ;)
the spinning bb round hits jack johnson, scumbag in the lower body!
it is pierced through entirely!
his right kidney has been poked out!
his liver has been mangled!

jack johnson, raider has been shot and killed.

The above (including bbcode) neatly weighs in at 255 characters. Fallout meets DF

Tommy2U

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2008, 06:14:00 am »

Hi.

I've started the trial for EVE, rolled a Gallente prospector named Aguerre and I've been doing some mining, pirate hunting and initial missions near Gallente starting space.
I can be found in Clellinon (tutorial missions) and nearby Luse (missions for a bank), so if anyone would like to team up for some newbie fun, seek me there.
I'll start a thread in other games as soon as the forum move is over.

[ June 14, 2008: Message edited by: Tommy2U ]

That's Install Planetary Overlord, not Initial Public Offering.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2008, 01:30:00 pm »

Do you actually roll up characters in that game?
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Tommy2U

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2008, 02:08:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Ioric Kittencuddler:
<STRONG>Do you actually roll up characters in that game?</STRONG>

No, it's a slang. You choose your background.

That's Install Planetary Overlord, not Initial Public Offering.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6