Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress + 3d = Hinterlands?  (Read 10558 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress + 3d = Hinterlands?
« on: August 08, 2008, 07:41:47 pm »

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/hinterland/897378p1.html

Interesting little game comming out, and surprisingly it seems to be sort of taking after the DF model. There's a city-builder portion of the game, though its a small city, small enough where every citizen has unique stats and so forth. Then you can also flip to adventure mode, drafting several citizens to go fight goblins and such.

Sounds quite similar to DF, almost as if you could draft Urist McPotash, Urist McSoap, and Urist McCheese as spearcatchers to go on adventure mode, then return to the fortress with the loots.

I'd be absolutely astounded if Hinterlands has even 10% the depth and complexity of DF, but it does look interesting.

I think Dungeon Keeper, DF, Evil Genius, and possibly Hinterlands are about the only 4 games in this entire genre.

This genre of games is way too small.   :(

Kalimar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress + 3d = Hinterlands?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 07:51:52 pm »

I don't have much hope for it when it mentions the producers developed Children of the Nile, Caesar IV and SimCity Societies. These games weren't as good as their earlier games.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 07:53:17 pm »

And toady finds a new income source....

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 08:13:17 pm »

Sounds like it's going to be similar to Rise & Fall and a single-player Savage, just with random maps.

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Ǵ̨̕o͘d͝d̡͢e̡̕s̷͟s̵͢ ͝of̴ ͡G͘͠a̧mi̶n̛͝g̨
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 08:31:43 pm »

This is good. The fight has started! The imitations will come... They will be belligerent and numerous... But we must stand tall! Stand proud! We are the followers of the One True Dwarf Fortress! To the fortifications!
If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

MULTI-THREADING - I'm talking about it!

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 08:35:16 pm »

This is good. The fight has started! The imitations will come... They will be belligerent and numerous... But we must stand tall! Stand proud! We are the followers of the One True Dwarf Fortress! To the fortifications!

Man your ballistas!

Anyway, I'm going to call it:

I say once Hinterland is released several unfortunate souls will find out about Dwarf Fortress and their first posts will be something like:

"So, like why is Dwarf Fortress copying off of Hinterland"

And then we release the war dogs.

Nomadic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 08:44:47 pm »

Man your ballistas!

Anyway, I'm going to call it:

I say once Hinterland is released several unfortunate souls will find out about Dwarf Fortress and their first posts will be something like:

"So, like why is Dwarf Fortress copying off of Hinterland"

And then we release the war dogs.

That would make for a cruel slaughter indeed. Perhaps we could make their painful deaths up to them by crafting them into crossbow bolts and totems.

Naze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 08:47:21 pm »

War dogs? Why waste them? Just let loose the war-goblins, you can replace them after the next siege.
Elf: Hmmm an ancient book...filled with spells?!
Fuma Amuisa, elf has been struck down.
Tzeentch doesn't like Elves, please don't teach your Elves to read.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 09:00:49 pm »

I don't have much hope for it when it mentions the producers developed Children of the Nile, Caesar IV and SimCity Societies. These games weren't as good as their earlier games.

Yup, Tilted Mill does very uneven games. They've done a few good games, but also a bunch of very lame games. Not the best studio in the world, but I give them props for at least attempting a game in this genre.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 09:05:16 pm »

To the fortifications!

OMG!

SOCK!

:o

*runs out into the field of battle*

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 09:09:35 pm »

War dogs? Why waste them? Just let loose the war-goblins, you can replace them after the next siege.

The war-goblins will just befriend them. :(

Weq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2008, 12:01:39 am »

Drown them in kittens ...

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2008, 12:02:29 am »

War-goblins - "Wait a damn second, we both want to get these bastards!, why are we fighting?"

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2008, 12:17:55 am »

How about modded War Snailmen!

"The gate is open! To War, my minions!"

"Uh...you guys going to get moving. I mean, they're already halfway across the field....what do you mean you're moving as fast as you can?"

"Well, I guess you can defend the front gate.."

"Damn...ok, um, Urist The Glory of Digging, why don't you go kill them all yourself. Yeah, like last time. Just make sure you clean off that artifact armor this time, will ya? Bomrek had a fit about you staining it after the last battle."
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

WillNZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2008, 12:38:35 am »

This "Hinterlands = Dwarf Fortress" thing is a little overblown. From what I can see, it's just a typical city-sim with some RPG elements thrown in. It doesn't make it a DF clone. "My Life as a King" already started that, and no one's comparing that to DF.

Put away your ballista bolts, you trigger-happy freaks  ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3 4