Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress + 3d = Hinterlands?  (Read 10559 times)

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress + 3d = Hinterlands?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2008, 01:05:58 am »

I like how the developer says, "We're keenly aware that this is an innovative game" like the prick that he is.
Have you looked at the screenshots? The graphics suck hard compared to DF.  ;D

Idles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2008, 01:08:04 am »

I have found a connection!

One of the characters in a screenshot has a strangely familiar name...

http://media.pc.gamespy.com/media/142/14265968/img_5809184.html

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2008, 01:13:47 am »

Nice find haha.

A not so subtle nod perhaps.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2008, 01:15:52 am »

Nice find haha.

A not so subtle nod perhaps.

I was expecting Urist... This isn't quite as random, as Tarn is a real name, is it not?

Glutton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2008, 02:31:43 am »

Oh. Dont be afraid of Hinterland. It should be very different game. It will not replace DF. It cant:
1) It is mailny RPG game. Building vilage is secondary job. You will improve your base, you will get better equipmnt to the next dungeon. You are not able to buld huge projects like unegoud waterfalls, golden statues,...
2) The game have a end. One game will take about 6 hours. Then it will end.
3) World is randomly generated, but not persistent.
4) You are not controling world. But just one character all the time. So if you are int he dungeon, you can not manage the city. If you are at one end of the city. You can not build on the other side..

Only similar part is that you will taking care of vilage with few peasants - but just few. It will not reach the hundreds like in the DF. And there should not be the depth like nobles etc...

Its just too much different. It is short avatars game. Like Diablo where you can spend few coins to upgrade main city. Im looking forward to it. i hope it will be great game. But it is too different drom DF to replace it or stand in its way.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2008, 04:41:53 am »

"The thousand nations of the mainstream game community descend upon you! Our code will blot out the sun?"

"Then we Shall fight in the shade"
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2008, 04:46:18 am »

I wouldn't really call it a role-playing game game.  Because that's redundant. 

It's more of an ARPG with some strong city (well, vilage) building element from what I've read.  Really not much like DF.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

ArdentPenguin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2008, 07:11:01 am »

Even if it was like DF - so? One of the nice things about computer games is that two games in the same genre aren't quite in direct competition, in the traditional sense. If you really like shooters, for example, and there are two shooters on the market, no reason you won't end up with both (unless they really are exactly the same). In fact the success of one can get people into others; imagine people buying this game, being like "wow I like this sort of base-building / RPG combination" and then discovering Dwarf Fortress while looking for more. I guess the exception is MMORGPs, since you have to pay a monthly fee for those.

Wow, that just gave me a horrifying idea. Dwarf Fortress Online... everyone plays a dwarf in adventure mode, but you can use all the civilian professions, like mining or what have you. We'd either end up with some of the most amazing fortresses ever, or a world covered waste-deep in dwarf chunks.

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2008, 08:18:04 am »

Someone else actually KNOWS of Evil Genius outside of Evil Planet?! :OOO

I still play that game today!
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

ChJees

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2008, 08:20:20 am »

Wow, that just gave me a horrifying idea. Dwarf Fortress Online... everyone plays a dwarf in adventure mode, but you can use all the civilian professions, like mining or what have you. We'd either end up with some of the most amazing fortresses ever, or a world covered waste-deep in dwarf chunks.

The database will be a nightmare to maintain. Not to even tell about the Server coding :o.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2008, 08:26:36 am »

I wouldn't really call it a role-playing game game.  Because that's redundant.

PIN number!  PIN number!

Reminds me of a WoW quote, "I DPSed him to death."
DPS?  Ok, I know that stands for "damage per second" but that's not a verb.  I asked if there was any other possible way to kill anything in WoW that would not result in the phrase "I DPSed him" and there wasn't (not even "I DOTed him to death" as anyone who uses Damage Over Time still says "I DPSed").  All kills are DPS kills, so what was the point?

And then I stopped caring, because it was WoW.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2008, 08:46:09 am »

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/hinterland/897378p1.html

Interesting little game comming out, and surprisingly it seems to be sort of taking after the DF model. There's a city-builder portion of the game, though its a small city, small enough where every citizen has unique stats and so forth. Then you can also flip to adventure mode, drafting several citizens to go fight goblins and such.

Sounds quite similar to DF, almost as if you could draft Urist McPotash, Urist McSoap, and Urist McCheese as spearcatchers to go on adventure mode, then return to the fortress with the loots.

I'd be absolutely astounded if Hinterlands has even 10% the depth and complexity of DF, but it does look interesting.

I think Dungeon Keeper, DF, Evil Genius, and possibly Hinterlands are about the only 4 games in this entire genre.

This genre of games is way too small.   :(

Not at all, the game is much more similar to Majesty at first look.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2008, 10:31:53 am »

Ewww!  Majesty.  What a terrible game.  They put so much effort into having 4 maps for every mission (just so that if you failed/redid it it wouldn't be the same) so there were all of 8 missions TOTAL.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2008, 11:07:27 am »

Ewww!  Majesty.  What a terrible game.  They put so much effort into having 4 maps for every mission (just so that if you failed/redid it it wouldn't be the same) so there were all of 8 missions TOTAL.

Actually it was quite original and decent game imo. :) .. but we are quite subjective eh?  ;)
..also Majesty 2. is in development.

Bask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2008, 11:19:35 am »

Are we talking about the same Majesty?

Because the Majesty I played had more than 8 missions, maps were semirandom (buildings defined, placement randomized, terrain randomized) and it was a nice, relaxed, fairly original RTS.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4