Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress + 3d = Hinterlands?  (Read 10560 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress + 3d = Hinterlands?
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2008, 11:34:49 am »

Yeah, we are.  I might be (under) exaggerating about the number of missions, but I know for a fact that the terrain wasn't randomized (I failed one map so many times I became quite aware of where everything was on all four maps), if it had been randomized I wouldn't have noticed the blatant patterns, "Oh, if that's where that tree is, then the closest monster den is....here!  DIE!  And then I'll get some monsters from...that one there...and then that one....ok, all ready to let them do their thing now that the immediate problems are addressed."

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2008, 11:36:04 am »

Nop, Majesty maps were all totally random IIRC.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2008, 12:03:17 pm »

Someone else actually KNOWS of Evil Genius outside of Evil Planet?! :OOO

I still play that game today!

I used to be very active on the modding forum there, I figured out a lot of the tricks for modding the game, but I've long since retired from the Evil Planet forum.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2008, 12:12:11 pm »

Couldn't have been, given my experience.  They may have been slightly random, but fixed locations (lairs, evil wizards tower, etc.) have very few locations they can show up (like I said, 4, your starting castle and outlaying buildings also have 4 possible arrangements, which were oddly tied to the wizards tower's location).

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2008, 02:22:09 pm »

Couldn't have been, given my experience.  They may have been slightly random, but fixed locations (lairs, evil wizards tower, etc.) have very few locations they can show up (like I said, 4, your starting castle and outlaying buildings also have 4 possible arrangements, which were oddly tied to the wizards tower's location).

Yeah the maps were quite small actually, so randomization wasnt very important in majesty. I guess Majesty 2. will be very different, prolly the maps will be quite big for example.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2008, 07:12:10 pm »

Anyway, Majesty had some good points and some bad points.  I don't know who paid for my copy, but I don't think it was worth it.  Got like 4 hours out of it and couldn't play a simple "pointless" game (you know, like a Play Now instead of Scenario in most RTS games).

Angellus

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2008, 06:28:24 pm »

"The thousand nations of the mainstream game community descend upon you! Our code will blot out the sun?"

"Then we Shall fight in the shade"
"The thousand nations of the mainstream game community descend upon you! Their flaming, will burn up the sun!"

"oooow, fireworks...' :D

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2008, 08:09:24 pm »

This game looks like it might be nifty, I guess.   Not really 'copying' DF in any way since DF, at heart, is more vast than can be imagined just by looking at it right now.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2008, 09:36:08 pm »

Heh, judging by the record of the creators of Hinterlands, they have great ideas but bad implementation. Haha, the creator of DF on the other hand, has weird ideas, but excellent implementation  :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2008, 10:35:30 pm »

[...]and couldn't play a simple "pointless" game (you know, like a Play Now instead of Scenario in most RTS games).

Wuh? I played Majesty + The Northern Expansion, and you definitely could. From all indications you could without the expansion, too. Infact, that's all I ever played; I never even finished a normal scenario.

That being said, yeah, the maps weren't very different. Random tree, random rock. Something to bump into, to give pathfinding a slight challenge. Otherwise it was all open, with differently colored terrain.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2008, 10:40:12 pm »

I wouldn't really call it a role-playing game game.  Because that's redundant.

PIN number!  PIN number!

Reminds me of a WoW quote, "I DPSed him to death."
DPS?  Ok, I know that stands for "damage per second" but that's not a verb.  I asked if there was any other possible way to kill anything in WoW that would not result in the phrase "I DPSed him" and there wasn't (not even "I DOTed him to death" as anyone who uses Damage Over Time still says "I DPSed").  All kills are DPS kills, so what was the point?

And then I stopped caring, because it was WoW.
Well, he was clarifying the degree to which he DPSed the monster.  You can DPS something part-way to death, after all.

Also, I think DF + 3d turns into Wurm online rather than Hinterlands. 

Thing is, in Wurm Online you have to do all the grinding yourself.  In Dwarf Fortress the dwarves can make three million -wooden spindles- for you, and you don't have to click twice a minute for three hours.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2008, 11:04:09 pm »

I wouldn't really call it a role-playing game game.  Because that's redundant.

PIN number!  PIN number!

Reminds me of a WoW quote, "I DPSed him to death."
DPS?  Ok, I know that stands for "damage per second" but that's not a verb.  I asked if there was any other possible way to kill anything in WoW that would not result in the phrase "I DPSed him" and there wasn't (not even "I DOTed him to death" as anyone who uses Damage Over Time still says "I DPSed").  All kills are DPS kills, so what was the point?

And then I stopped caring, because it was WoW.
Well, he was clarifying the degree to which he DPSed the monster.  You can DPS something part-way to death, after all.

My point was, why didn't he just say "I killed the monster."?

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2008, 11:05:45 pm »

Someone else actually KNOWS of Evil Genius outside of Evil Planet?! :OOO

I still play that game today!

Evil Genius rocks! :D

Yeah, totally off-topic, but I needed to jump in there.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Angellus

« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2008, 01:53:32 am »

Wow, that just gave me a horrifying idea. Dwarf Fortress Online... everyone plays a dwarf in adventure mode, but you can use all the civilian professions, like mining or what have you. We'd either end up with some of the most amazing fortresses ever, or a world covered waste-deep in dwarf chunks.

The database will be a nightmare to maintain. Not to even tell about the Server coding :o.
I'm sure it will happen, once toady's been dead for 100 years and his grandgrandchildren give DF to the community to work on.

Oh, and off course you can add 200 years to that to get a pc to run the server ^^

Riemann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2008, 12:24:47 pm »

I don't have much hope for it when it mentions the producers developed Children of the Nile, Caesar IV and SimCity Societies. These games weren't as good as their earlier games.

Caesar IV was a great addition to the series. In fact I would argue it was one of the best 2d -> 3d translations ever. It kept the same mechanics and gameplay that made its 2d predecessors great, added some pretty good 3d graphics and a few new gameplay refinements without messing things up.

If you jumped right from Caesar III to IV it would seem very different yes. However if you look at the whole series (Caesar III -> Pharaoh + Expansion -> Zeus + Expansion -> Emperor -> Caesar IV) it really is a logical progression along the same lines.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4