Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress + 3d = Hinterlands?  (Read 10556 times)

Riemann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress + 3d = Hinterlands?
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2008, 12:26:18 pm »

This "Hinterlands = Dwarf Fortress" thing is a little overblown. From what I can see, it's just a typical city-sim with some RPG elements thrown in. It doesn't make it a DF clone. "My Life as a King" already started that, and no one's comparing that to DF.

Put away your ballista bolts, you trigger-happy freaks  ;D

I totally agree. In fact I would say Hinterlands = Majesty is what Tilted Mill themselves are going for. Which is no bad thing. Majesty was a great game and ain't no shame in trying to emulate the best.

Goran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2008, 04:14:35 am »

When dinosaurs still roamed the Earth there was a game called Stronghold(not to be confused with that middle age RTS) where you built a fantasy kingdom in D&D universe...

As for Hinterlands I'd say its more likely to be a complete flop rather than a clone of Majesty, Dwarf Fortress or any other game merely due to the qualities (or lack there of) of the developer.

There is no concept or genre that Tilted Mill cannot ruin with ease.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2008, 08:57:11 am »

When dinosaurs still roamed the Earth there was a game called Stronghold(not to be confused with that middle age RTS) where you built a fantasy kingdom in D&D universe...

Hm this is it?
http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/642/Stronghold.html

wow, I havent seen this game so far, weird...Im going to try it out. Thanks for the hint.  ;D

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2008, 11:09:33 am »

I remember playing that quite a bit when it came out.  There are some tedious parts if I remember and it gets sort of repetitive, but as far as the concept goes it was a pretty high point as far as trying out new ideas goes, unless there are some predecessors I'm unaware of.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

DI7789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2008, 12:54:14 pm »

The graphics and gameplay seem rather reminiscient of The Guild 2 (Better known as Die Gilde 2) in the way that you have a village, get workers, form a military group (of differing sizes from small personal guard to your own private army) and attempt/fail to control the urge to fight
Gone on hiatus due to RL. Major apologies to all involved in LP thread.

Frobozz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2008, 01:16:22 pm »

Wow, that just gave me a horrifying idea. Dwarf Fortress Online... everyone plays a dwarf in adventure mode, but you can use all the civilian professions, like mining or what have you. We'd either end up with some of the most amazing fortresses ever, or a world covered waste-deep in dwarf chunks.

The database will be a nightmare to maintain. Not to even tell about the Server coding :o.
Hrm I don't think it'd be too bad really. Having it be just adventure mode would make things far easier than trying to give everyone a fortress for various reasons. I think rather this would work great if the server were to be small typically with only a handful of people playing it like the OpenTTD servers do.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2008, 01:51:30 pm »

Hrm I don't think it'd be too bad really. Having it be just adventure mode would make things far easier than trying to give everyone a fortress for various reasons. I think rather this would work great if the server were to be small typically with only a handful of people playing it like the OpenTTD servers do.

How many actions does a guy searching up his backpack use?
How long does a guy taking a swing at a goblin have to wait before he can swing again?

Riemann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2008, 02:19:17 pm »

As for Hinterlands I'd say its more likely to be a complete flop rather than a clone of Majesty, Dwarf Fortress or any other game merely due to the qualities (or lack there of) of the developer.

There is no concept or genre that Tilted Mill cannot ruin with ease.

This is just crazy. Sim City Societies was not at all bad for what they were going for. And Caesar IV was damn good. I seriously don't see how someone who had played the City Building series could call Caesar IV "ruined". It's the exact same concept from Caesar III, Pharoah, Zues and Emperor with some updated graphics and a few gameplay tweaks. The same bloody thing they did in every previous game in the series.

I should point out it was also extremely stable and "bug free" (ok, no software product is bug free ever, but as in relatively few bugs for the PC games industry) at release.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2008, 09:26:09 am »

New preview @  Gamesradar

As excited as everyone is by Diablo III, you find yourself wondering: what else could an RPG be? Is collecting loot, side-questing, selling to shopkeepers (and repeat) the only way to do it? Hinterland is built off the same fantasy ingredients we’re used to seeing in RPGs, and you can spot the inspiration - Diablo, Rogue-games, Dwarf Fortress city-builders - but we’ve never seen the ideas mashed up like this. “In making it, we kind of had this ‘why didn’t someone make this before?’ feeling,” says Jeff Fiske, co-designer.

You’re a lord, sent into the wild to explore and left-click any bad guys in your backyard. While you’re adventuring forth, your village grows. Acquired items secure different types of citizens, so recruiting new townsfolk will be your main goal. The idea stemmed from the dev’s earlier experiments in a medieval city-builder. “You don’t get bards unless you can find a magical instrument,” explains Mat Williams, senior producer. “You need ancient tomes to bring a wizard in. You can get a necromancer, but you’ve got to find a crypt.” Once settled, your lord can issue orders, setting the smith to construct swords or the priest to pray for healing - no more buying items off the populace you’re protecting. And if you decide the village can survive without a certain citizen, ask them to join your party and head off into the wilderness.

But don’t expect a medieval SimCity. Hinterland aims for manageable 10-to-20 villager towns, and a relatively small surrounding area that can be patrolled in a few hours (but won’t get old, we’re told). The game leans on randomly generated content to encourage replay and influence your village’s make-up. “If you find a game forest, you can build the hunter,” says Jeff, “but if you don’t... you don’t.” An achievement system will add some structure, but the main idea is roaming the game’s variable world, shaping your own quests along the way. “We talk about how silly it is when you play an RPG, you do some quest and the world doesn’t change,” says Jeff.

“Now, you sort of make your own quests. If you get a sword, and give it to your farmer, and the village gets attacked when you’re gone... you’ve changed the world by giving the farmer that sword. And if he stops making food, it has an actual effect on the world, whether he’s out adventuring with you, or he’s recovering from the injuries he’s sustained helping defend the town.” What could an RPG be? Anything, clearly.

Hopes/fears
+ Randomly generated encounters and overseeing your mini-community could mean a nice, dynamic balance of lootin’ and mayorin’.
 – It’s on a smaller scale, but will Hinterland have enough structure to lead players while they wander the wilderness?

schm0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2008, 06:33:24 am »

Tilted Mill has ruined my favorite franchise, SimCity.

The only thing I would suggest you do with this piece of trash is burn it.

Yes, I'm angry. :)
schm0
-------------
Nuk: lol schm0, u r da funnay
Nuk: i lik u

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2008, 09:29:48 am »

Because you know that Hinterlands will suck?  ::)
FYI these devs made Lords of Magic, and it was an excellent game actually.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2008, 07:37:51 pm »

Because you know that Hinterlands will suck?  ::)
FYI these devs made Lords of Magic, and it was an excellent game actually.

And Toady made Cross Stompers.  I wouldn't use past games as a baseline of future quality.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]