Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Technical issue not pertaining to the new version  (Read 412 times)

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Technical issue not pertaining to the new version
« on: October 31, 2007, 03:33:00 pm »

Dwarf Fortress runs at 25 FPS.

I just got a new laptop shortly before the current version came out, so I wasn't aware of this issue, but after getting a copy of the old version running, it too runs at 25 FPS. Exactly 25 FPS or less, no more- and no, the cap is still 100 in the settings.

What makes me think this is a technical issue and not just a lousy laptop is A) I was playing Civ 4 and Portal just fine, despite being games that I imagine are relatively CPU intensive and B) it's even 25 FPS on the title screen. Surely my computer isn't so bad as to be bogged down on the title screen...

However there are other questionable phenomenon that make me doubt it's just some odd cap imposed by some magic computer stuff- it does slow down quite a bit when running so that when the game isn't paused I get 19 FPS tops, usually around 15- underground it's as low as 9 when a lot of stuff is happening (when it's paused and above ground it's still just 25).

I have Vista, with which I am unfamiliar and hostile towards, and there was a sticker on my computer that said "Dual Core" which I've heard doesn't work with Dwarf Fortress... If you need any other technical specifications to diagnose the issue you'll have to tell me how to find them, as I am not a computer person at all...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Just fiddling around- lowering the G-FPS to around 20 shot my FPS up to near the 100 cap... Issue resolved, but I'm not entirely sure how I fixed or what was wrong... Oh well.

[ October 31, 2007: Message edited by: Eiba ]