Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.28.181.39f Released  (Read 26793 times)

pickupsticks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.28.181.39f Released
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2008, 06:32:08 pm »

Wow - loving the view size changes!!
I knew it was going to be good, but it's SOOOO much better than I was expecting to be able to see everything.

Great, wonderful, superb.

Need to get more screens... or wire this hunk of junk up to my TV perhaps!

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2008, 07:47:55 pm »

A problem with the expanded view: The cursor stays near the top where the center of the screen used to be. So the view is actually entirely expanded south, not outward. Pretty annoying.
Sooo....
nobody else having this issue?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2008, 08:03:21 pm »

A problem with the expanded view: The cursor stays near the top where the center of the screen used to be. So the view is actually entirely expanded south, not outward. Pretty annoying.
Sooo....
nobody else having this issue?

I am at least, so it'll be fixed for next time.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2008, 11:44:53 pm »

Thanks for the larger view!

Problem: apart from the un-centered cursor, I noticed the mouse designation doesn't work outside of the old 80x25 limits.

EchoP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2008, 11:56:09 pm »

Has anyone got the expanded view working with Mike Mayday's set. Because it is already expanded, it is acting weird for me.  :(

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2008, 12:29:13 am »

or wire this hunk of junk up to my TV perhaps!

Ooh, theres a thought.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2008, 03:53:19 am »

Hey did you guys ever get the error or something that has magma forges and the like not show up on the list? It happened to me on e haven't tried this version yet. Or do you know what happened?
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2008, 09:45:13 am »

Congratulations to Toady One, another fine addition to the Dwarf Fortress legacy.

May you live to the age of 101, and keep programming until that very day.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2008, 10:01:33 am »

Cheers Toady!

It's a real pleasure to be able to watch a great game slowly take shape from week to week.

I've been an avid computer game player since I got my first computer back in '96, but as the years go on it gets so depressing to see the huge volume of absolute crap pumped out by the industry, with very little imagination or heart. I think you're dead right when you said somewhere on the site about how little has changed except for improved graphics.

I still haven't played a better "world sim" styled RPG since origin's The Black Gate.. and that was made in 1992! What the hell happened?? (Ok, the Black Isle team were great and all, but they are long gone.) If anything, graphics are styming depth, as so much of company budgets are piled into making the best eye candy possible. Take oblivion as a case in point...

Ok, this is getting off topic. Dwarf Fortress is not technically an RPG I guess. But it has freaking depth by the buckets. Thank you so much for this. I swear I'll make a donation in the not so distant future.

I haven't been this interested in following code releases since Exult.

-Yolan
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Frobozz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2008, 11:56:41 am »

Quote from: Yolan
If anything, graphics are styming depth, as so much of company budgets are piled into making the best eye candy possible.
To a degree I'd say yes, but the simple fact is that depth is stymied more by a company trying to push a game out as fast as possible to an audience that generally doesn't care anymore about quality gameplay. The problem I have is when people start thinking that 3D graphics automatically means fail for a game. With development teams numbering as high as, if not higher than, 100 people there simply isn't any reason why a game should be held back because they're focusing on graphical effects. No the real issue here is that the average gamer today simply doesn't know anything else or doesn't care, but continues to buy the game.

In effect, the game market has changed away from actual games to graphical demos. But I dislike seeing people blame graphics themselves as if they automatically kill a game. That simply isn't true. The true killer of games is the evil marketing department. ;D
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 12:41:07 pm by Frobozz »

Possessed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2008, 01:53:26 pm »

I CAN SEE FOREVER
*meep*

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2008, 01:59:57 pm »

I CAN SEE FOREVER
Time for a slightly related song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI4diOMNejM

In other news, the forum's option to embed files does not apply to youtube videos.

kyrieee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2008, 06:13:49 pm »

In effect, the game market has changed away from actual games to graphical demos.

Are you really that insular?
"the game market", well, well, isn't it nice to generalize?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2008, 06:20:56 pm »

I've noticed that very few games today have any depth. I think DF's depth and complexity easily surpasses that of your typical big budget game. Sure, the big budget games have fancy graphics and all that, but no real gameplay other than point and shoot.

Its not to say that good graphics automatically make a game become shallow and lame, but its that too many games are all about flashiness at the expense of substance.

Interestingly enough, this has long ago happened to movies. Most movies these days are all explosion, tits, CGI, and very little plot.

smeej

• Bay Watcher
  • The last thing you remember...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2008, 07:25:11 pm »

Let's say I was born without a brain and needed a step-by-step explanation of how to use the expanded sight/grid/whatever, where would I get that? I cannot for the life of me get anything but a squishy DF world. I fear I do not understand the instructions in the init. : /
IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5