Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.28.181.39f Released  (Read 26789 times)

Hundsstern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.28.181.39f Released
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2008, 10:12:24 pm »

Quote from: Tigershark13
(and werewolves...everyone loves werewolves)
its all opinion

Yeah. Bloodmoon was great. It was the best part of morrowind. The whole island with all on it.
And yes. Its all opinion. Subjectivity,relativity...whatever...long live individuality.

Quote from: zagibu
Oblivion is a good framework for a game

Quote from: Yolan
it is the game I'm spending the most time on at the mo.  ;D

I would lie if i say that i had no fun with Oblivion.
I installed some mods too (20?). But not the overhaul. The markers were gone.
I was travelling with my mercenary group to dungeons and caves and build up a camp in front of them. I had to eat, drink and sleep. There were horses. It was fun. But not for long. Zagibu allready mentioned some of the later problems. Maybe i've lost all my energy for games like that when i played morrowind very intensive. Oblivion was just a repetition with better graphics but no great progress in gameplay development. Maybe it's just me but this repetition-crap also happening with music, movies and television. So boring. Few bright spots. At least one big star at the moment.

@adventure

I don't like this "funny" comic adventures like 'edna & harvey breaks out' or the 'sam and max series'.
Don't know if that's what you looking for but the last 'good' and 'serious' adventure i remember was "overclocked".

Now...that was offtopic again.
Freedom and individuality!

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2008, 01:51:08 am »

Have anyone seen a good adventure game latly. One that isn't focused of hard core action 75<->90% of the time.
I think the number of games that fit this category for the last 8 years are less then 10. And then i mean adventure and point and click games that arent just trying to steal quick money with poor gameplay (the new sam and max series, may you burn!!!)

The one I can count are.

Run away: a road adventure.
Zak and Wiki.
? ? ?
? ? ?
? ? ?

I liked Dreamfall. Its only flaw was lack of length, I finished it in a couple of days. One of very few proper adventure games I can think of that did 3D well. Hopefully I won't have to wait another 10 years for a sequel...

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2008, 04:21:05 am »

[...]

I liked Dreamfall. Its only flaw was lack of length, I finished it in a couple of days. One of very few proper adventure games I can think of that did 3D well. Hopefully I won't have to wait another 10 years for a sequel...

Well now they got Age of Conan, I wouldn't bet money that they spend resources on a singleplayer game for quite some time.

And yes, it was ok, but to short.
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

Neskiairti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Trust me, dont look.
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2008, 04:46:34 pm »

oh god.  please, spoiler tags or thumbnails or something.  (or a png) that was half a meg of image that could be about 100kb in png form, and I pay for my internet by the megabyte :(

just a belated comment.. I wanted to direct erendor to a browser called links :P
The New Moo!

GlennS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2008, 01:21:03 am »

It's funny, I remember the bulk of old games as being overly complex without actually having deep gameplay, and that the bulk of the challenge was often in overcoming the UI.  Not fun.

Now obviously there were plenty of gems in there, and there are some lost genres which I mourn with the rest of you and games I worry we may never see the like of again: X-Com*, Master of Magic, Magic Carpet, Tribes, Dungeon Keeper.  However, I think in general memory is selective, and I'm glad to be rid of big clunky menus taking up most of the view, graphics you had to squint at, fiddling with autoexec.bat, and cassette-tape loading screens.

First heresy: Terror From the Deep was better than the original.  Well it was the same, but harder and scarier with lobstermen, which makes it better.  Hmm, does Dwarf Fortress have lobstermen yet?  Gillmen?  Aquatoids? ;D

Talking of lost genres, consider Elite as an illustration of my prior point.  The space-trading subgenre is all but lost.  However, there is one pretender: the X series from Egosoft.  And damnit it's too complex.  The first three Elite games had plenty to do, sure, but they were definitely far simpler and the result was more interesting choices and more fun.

Second heresy: Civilization 4 is the best turn-based strategy game ever.  The game mechanics are elegant and fit together beautifully.  Seriously, I mean it: better than MoM, better than Alpha Centauri, better than chess.

[/controversy]

Dwarf Fortress is deep and complex and fun.  I think perhaps because a lot of the complexity is not fiddliness for the player, but just fun detail in the game's system that produces chaos and variety.  For example, I'm not really involved in which part of the body my dwarves are attacking beyond a general decision about what weapons to give them, but it's still cool when limbs get hacked off.

Dr_Dungeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2008, 01:31:20 am »

...I worry we may never see the like of again: X-Com*...
You should try UFO: AI - http://ufoai.sourceforge.net/.It's still work in progress, but looks promising.
- Dis is turnink into vun of DOSE plans... Hyu know - de kind vere ve keel everybody dot notices dot ve's killin'people. And how do dose alvays end?
- De dirigible iz in flames, everyboddyz dead an'ive lost my hat.
- Dot's right. Und any plan vere you lose your hat iz?
- A bad plan?
- Right again!

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2008, 05:43:21 am »

Now obviously there were plenty of gems in there, and there are some lost genres which I mourn with the rest of you and games I worry we may never see the like of again: X-Com*, Master of Magic, Magic Carpet, Tribes, Dungeon Keeper.  However, I think in general memory is selective, and I'm glad to be rid of big clunky menus taking up most of the view, graphics you had to squint at, fiddling with autoexec.bat, and cassette-tape loading screens.

Actually, X-Com still works perfectly. You can download it and play it again right away. I do it every 2-3 years, actually, to see if the old classics still work and to compare the gameplay experience to current games.

First heresy: Terror From the Deep was better than the original.  Well it was the same, but harder and scarier with lobstermen, which makes it better.  Hmm, does Dwarf Fortress have lobstermen yet?  Gillmen?  Aquatoids? ;D

I feel the same way. I always mention the original, though, because it was the first one of it's kind, and innovation is important to acknowledge. BTW: Ship attacked by Lobstermen early on in the game = TEH HORROR!
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Neskiairti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Trust me, dont look.
« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2008, 05:22:52 pm »

well as to games like elite.. which was just traveller in videogame format... I love em..

though I played X3.. (it actually runs on my PC >.> though X2 doesnt) it is horribly complex and the 'depth' isnt there.. they made the economy too complex and it fell flat.. and for such a beautiful game, you would think they could get some better actor models X.x claymation is not for video games!

I played Privateer and Privateer 2.. fun games.. fairly simple interface.. There is also Vegastrike (open source space game of similar variety) but it wont be finished before we elect a black lesbian comunist woman of muslim faith. >.>

there is also the dead game Diaspora, horribly simple.. too simple though, and it fell apart to cheating... but it was addictive fun.

I'm actually trying to learn to program to make a game of a similar nature to these.. vast complex universe.. simple standard interaction and UI.. though at my rate... vegastrike will be done first :P
The New Moo!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]