Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress MU* Discussion  (Read 44666 times)

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress MU* Discussion
« Reply #165 on: January 25, 2009, 03:54:26 pm »

I'm actually happy to teach anyone who's willing to learn. I myself am pretty much a dabbling programmer, but I'm getting it.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #166 on: January 25, 2009, 04:34:36 pm »

Partial room solution: The decsription is ONLY a function, with no text. The function can check the whole room for interesting changes each time.
Eh?
Eh!

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 25, 2009, 06:19:51 pm »

Fenrir says, "Thanks again for the wolf costume, Tahin."
Fenrir smiles happily.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 26, 2009, 12:49:03 am »

In response to Qwertyuiopas, I can overwrite the GetLong() and such functions of the various objects, which would allow me to keep it updated without constantly updating it. The issue is that I'd also have to copy most of the GetLong() code over to a new function, as I think the inventory display and whatnot is in there, too. That doesn't sound too complicated, actually.

I'm not going to get started on the code just yet. I think I'll work on learning the system better by making small, asthetic changes, swapping out useless OOC commands like "shout" and "tell" for commands that make more sense in an IC context. Also, it should tell you which direction someone enters from.

To Fenrir, you're welcome. Tell me if you want a different description; I can do it in a few seconds.

Also, I need to figure out a way to stop someone from moving around while they're crafting or digging. I think "paralyzing" them is the simplest answer, but I don't know yet if that is linked to stamina or not, and whether or not it will force them to fall down. Maybe I can copy over some existing code, or something.

Also, I need to figure out how to add things to the "stop" command so you don't get stuck digging while a goblin hacks your legs off.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 12:51:23 am by Tahin »

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 26, 2009, 07:44:30 am »

In-string functions. you know, the "(:function:)".
Eh?
Eh!

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 26, 2009, 11:17:41 am »

Oh, those. I haven't really gotten into those yet, but they look promising. That's actually a good idea. Hm.

I'll try that.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 01, 2009, 12:28:29 am »

Update:
I have the following changes completed thus far:
*Shout and yell are now synonyms, no mudwide in-character communication.
*Shout/Yell now tell you the direction which they come from, rather than just being from a distance. This was a huge pain in the ass, but I now understand how it's all set up a lot better.
*OOC command to speak out-of-character. Works exactly like say except bypasses the language code.
*I may have a host lined up. We'll see.

A few things that haven't changed:
*I still need help. Badly. Just someone with a decent understanding of programming who can be on occasionally. I can't pay you.
*I'll have it done eventually. Progress is slow because I'm still learning the system.

Things that will be done soon:
*I hope to have some preliminary digging/crafting code in place soon so people can come in and try it break it.
*Now that I have yell directions figured out, I'll tackle entrances. Currently it just says "<name> enters" which isn't very descriptive. It should be simple if I can figure out where in the code the actual message is sent, which can be difficult.

Things that will be done eventually:
*The wilderness map
*The digging/crafting/woodcutting/farming/etc. code.
*I'll need to figure out a way to let people install doors. It might be a bit tricky, but overall simpler than the digging code will be.
*Levelless/Classes skill-based experience system

Sorry about the triple post. I feel that this should be bumped. Maybe I should make a new thread in the other games forum, as that seems to be the place for this kind of thing...

I guess I should mention that the reason I haven't taken up the person who offered to host it or asked for a host here was because I'm cautious about letting someone with an "interest" in the MUD host it. I'd just rather have a quasi-professional relationship with my host.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 12:34:52 am by Tahin »

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 01, 2009, 12:36:56 am »

*Now that I have yell directions figured out, I'll tackle entrances. Currently it just says "<name> enters" which isn't very descriptive. It should be simple if I can figure out where in the code the actual message is sent, which can be difficult.

I may be off track, but are you talking about ./lib/lib/messages.c? It's got what appears to be the enter/leave text right at the top.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 01, 2009, 01:29:30 am »

Yeah, but I need to write code that looks at the direction you went and formats it properly and all that.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 01, 2009, 11:48:37 am »

lib/lib/living.c, morre than halfway down.
Code: [Select]
varargs int eventMoveLiving(mixed dest, string omsg, string imsg, mixed dir){
Eh?
Eh!

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 01, 2009, 02:44:26 pm »

Well, that's interesting... Thanks!

This system can be hard to navigate at times because of the way all those libs are entangled like that. Breaking talk.c causes about 5 other libs to fail to load; It's insane.

I'll see if I can get that working today, and then I'll look into the digging code, as it's going to be a lot more complicated than anything else.

I guess I should mention that if anyone tries to log on and it either logs you out immediately or throws up an error about "work being done right now" it probably means I'm screwing around with something and managed to generate a syntax error. Wait a few minutes and try again.

I just got around to looking at that function, and that's it! Thanks, Qwertyuiopas!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 03:13:29 pm by Tahin »

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 01, 2009, 10:52:49 pm »

I got it! Woo!

I've got movement announcing the direction one enters from, now, even with crawling and flying and such. If I could get a few people to come in and bug test it, that would be awesome. I think it mostly works, now.

I had to wipe all the players because I'll be damned if I have to go through each player file and update it for the new system. This is not the first time this will happen. All the creators are still there, however. Your playerfiles have been manually updated, so tell me if I screwed something up.

I've also added a "time" command, which is probably a bit buggy right now. Tell me if the time of day is off for the actual hour. It also doesn't round; it just takes the hour and gives you that as the time. I'll fix that eventually.

If I could get a few people to help me test these things out, that would be nice. They're small, but very prone to bugs.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 05, 2009, 01:56:21 am »

Too bad Lord Dullard isn't around anymore, else we could get him to put a link to a useful Mud Client(as well as the current address for the Mud) in the first post.

I was messing around yesterday, and discovered that I can chase beggars around town while brandishing a flashlight.  I therefore approve of this Mud's Engine.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 05, 2009, 05:00:18 pm »

Heh. I'm going to start a new thread in the "Other Games" forum once I have something interesting to show off other than a few minor tweaks. Also, the address and port is in my sig which is all throughout this thread anyway, but a list of decent mud clients would be nice to put up somewhere.

In other news... I'm going to see if I can get a basic digging system up and running using virtual rooms this weekend.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 05, 2009, 10:54:17 pm »

I'm interested in helping, though I'm pretty much a dabbling programmer myself.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14