Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress MU* Discussion  (Read 44478 times)

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress MU* Discussion
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2008, 06:57:20 pm »

Makes sense. I used the hub only because it was so much work to link it all up. Now that we have the zones, even though most people can't place them, it should be easier.

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2008, 07:17:42 pm »

What about eating and drinking? Will it be required to survive? I've never played a MUD that required it (note: I have played very few of them) but I think it would be in the spirit of DF... of course, the main problem is that we could start having people dying because they weren't able to log in to their account for whatever reason and start dying of dehydration if they don't have any booze in their inventory.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2008, 08:37:08 pm »

What about eating and drinking? Will it be required to survive? I've never played a MUD that required it (note: I have played very few of them) but I think it would be in the spirit of DF... of course, the main problem is that we could start having people dying because they weren't able to log in to their account for whatever reason and start dying of dehydration if they don't have any booze in their inventory.

I've played MUD's that tracked drink and food and it was annoying as hell.  Of course, that was a MUD and this doesn't have to work the same way.  Obviously the first point there would be that logged off characters don't get hungry/thirsty, like any sane MUD.  Having a system like that would help the DFness of the game, but any complaints will have to be addressed quickly.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2008, 11:33:39 pm »

I don't think we're going to leave eating/drinking coded in, at least not to start. It's kind of a complex thing to do, and even more complex to do right. I think I'd rather just leave it as something that can be roleplayed.

We're getting closer and closer to launching the actual game, but feel free to come in and poke around. If I'm online, I can give you a few lessons on building, though that link I posted at the top should get you started.

EDIT:Grah! Did it just go down?
EDIT2:Guess not. Something funny is happening, though.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 11:39:28 pm by Tahin »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2008, 11:41:54 pm »

The top left one is my idea.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2008, 12:42:31 am »

We have exactly one official policy decision. All exits are to be named in the manner of: North;N or South;S. This will display North as the name, but accept N as a command, as well. Any exits not adhering to this code of conduct, at least in the final game, are subject to be changed without warning. Also, when creating a new room inside the fortress that is not a private room, please type @set here=chown_ok and then notify me or whoever is handling new constructions so that we I may come by and make it public, so that others can edit it as they need to.

Also, once we start building the actual fortress, please abide by the blueprints we will have set up. You have room to be creative in the descriptions, but we want the layout to be as uniform as possible.

EDIT: Notice that the above room exit rule has one exception; if you are making a bedroom or a similar room, please make the exit something like: "Tahin's Bedroom;TB" Unless TB is already taken by another exit in the same "hub" room. It is worth noting that I have been informed that eventually the room exits will be displayed in the format of "Name<FirstAlias>" Such that the above example would appear as "Tahin's Bedroom<TB>."

Also, the fortress layout is ICly debatable. Feel that we need a second dining room to match the second bedroom cluster? Ask your resident noble about it, and we'll see about changing the plans.

This is all just planning for the near future, of course, and everything is likely to change.
Please just get used to building with the "North;N" exit style, as otherwise it will be annoying and immersion breaking to move between rooms written by different players, as the exit styles might all be different.

Also, about the setting; This is not supposed to be strictly based on Dwarf Fortress. It's all right to make the occasional DF in-joke, but please don't make characters completely revolving around the flaws in the AI, and such. A joke is only funny the first few thousand times, although much of the internet doesn't seem to understand this.

Tahin sighs.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 12:22:59 pm by Tahin »

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2008, 12:52:16 pm »

Considering running a kobold babysnatched by elves and sold to the dwarves...

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2008, 01:16:42 pm »

A question about map detail; on this scale, where do we want to fall, assuming the clearing is a good-sized meadow about 80 feet across.

0- You are in the forest. There is a big tree, a stream with a pond, a clearing, and a road here.
1- You are in the southwestern forest. There is a clearing, a stream, and a road here.
2- You are in the clearing; there is a road east from here, and a stream to the north.
3- You are in the northern end of the clearing. You could go south, or into the forest.
4- You are in the north-central clearing. You could go into the forest, or south into the center of the clearing, or wander around the edges to the east and west.
5- You are 40 feet from the center of the clearing. You can go n,ne,e,se,s,sw,w,nw.

In 0, the approximate size of the room is 400 feet squared; but a better metric is "the entire local area"
In 1, the size is more like half of that and is something like "everywhere within a five-minute walk of the center"
in 2, the size is "everywhere you can see from the center"
in 3, "everywhere you can see clearly enough to read"
in 4, "everywhere within three paces"
in 5, "a room for every tile in DF"

Personally, I think 3 is best because it gives you a very clear scale for a room.

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2008, 01:24:16 pm »

Is anyone allowed to join the MU? I wont mess anything up.
how would a Fortress based curse work?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Sans context.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2008, 01:26:26 pm »

Is anyone allowed to join the MU? I wont mess anything up.

Absolutely!

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2008, 01:41:24 pm »

Well, my first try was met with disaster...  :-\

Sans context.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2008, 05:10:26 pm »

Nevermind.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2008, 01:18:57 am »

We currently have two other topics related to this MUX:
A poll on how big an area each outdoor room should represent by PTTG, and
A contest to decide who can generate the best world to use for a history and worldmap, by me.

Please visit these two topics, as we need your input.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2008, 05:43:38 pm »

UPDATES
==================

I just want to let everyone know about some of the features that have been added so far:

Time/date/weather: This is the newest addition. Type +today in the game to see the current time/date/weather/moon phase. There are +help files available for the time system's use and how to use it while building to create time- and season-flexible room descriptions.

Time currently moves at a 4:1 ratio.

+Help System: As of yet there's not a whole yet here, but keep checking back for more. Eventually this command will contain documentation for all of the major in-game commands available to players.

Global Bulletin Board: The global bulletin board can be viewed with the +bbread command. For further instructions on how to read and post entries, see +help.

Game Appearance: I'm working on adding a lot of pizazz to the visual aspects of the MUX (at least, as far as text-only coding will allow). If you haven't check in for a while things are likely to look radically different.

Short Descriptions: Players can use the command: '&shortdesc me=<text>' to change their short descriptions. Short descriptions are snippets of information about what a player's character is currently doing that can be seen by looking at the room. These are eventually intended to function as a roleplaying aid. Players can also add &shortdescs to objects that will show up in the room.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 05:48:45 pm by Lord Dullard »

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2008, 11:46:23 am »

I'm still working on the wiki/tutorial. Once tahts up, I'll post the link on this board as well.

Sans context.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14