Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress MU* Discussion  (Read 44640 times)

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress MU* Discussion
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2008, 04:19:47 am »

Ahhh!! Confusing instructions, I really can't be bothered with this. It's to much effort.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2008, 04:21:57 am »

Download the program, install it. Run it. Create a new world, put Strike the Earth for the name, and the address and port as required, hit okay. Follow the instructions. But I am going to bed (seriously) and I can't stick around to help you get your bearings, and there isn't really anything to do at the moment, so it's kind of pointless until tomorrow when we can get some stuff up.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2008, 04:26:38 am »

O.K thanks, I think I got it sorted. My problem was that I didn't know what link to click on the download pages.

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2008, 03:41:53 pm »

If you're having problems, or are generally confused on how to connect to one of these games I've put together this package for GMud:

Download here

Everything is already entered for you, all you have to do is connect.

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2008, 04:00:56 pm »

Can we get a current feature list for those who can't connect yet? (I'll have to contact my network admin to get port 1050 open...)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2008, 04:04:02 pm »

Current feature list is Tahin, Dullard's OOC body, me as of a few minutes ago, and several sentences of descriptive text.  It needs a lot of grunt room building.  Tahin's going to show me how later, don't know what we should do yet.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2008, 04:11:11 pm »

The plan is to have a simple RP Mush built around a single fortress. We'll need a backstory, map, combat system, etc etc. It will be a lot of work.

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
  • My glasses split light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2008, 04:55:23 pm »

Thing is, MUDs are relatively easy to code, just a lot of busy work. You have to write room descriptions, command instructions... but usually nothing too impossible to actually code. The problem is that all the flavor has to be written by a few people, or it gets to be to varied in quality and feel.

If I were to make a MUD like this, it'd allow people to build their own forts, but to prevent ridiculous amounts of dug-out land, if no one "Cleans" the area for a couple days, everything in the room is destroyed, and it fills back in. Basically, people that quit playing are buried in the space of a few days.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2008, 05:27:53 pm »

Anyone care to post up a small tutorial on room building and other common world-expanding things? I often find myself with copious amounts of spare time and the need to distract myself from doing something constructive, so I'd be more than happy to help - if only I knew how ;)

And what's the theme? Are we building a fort for people to explore, or a whole world, or a mix of both?
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2008, 05:39:15 pm »

At the moment we need to figure out the engine and theme, and such, first. This is a useful tutorial on how to navigate and build and stuff. Feel free to come in and ask questions. You're welcome to try your hand at building a few rooms and items for practice, too.

The currently agreed-upon theme is a single, small, outpost fortress. Players would be free to grab a pick and dig out a few rooms, sit down in a craftsdwarf workshop and build any item they can imagine, or just sit down in the dining room and have a +felsite mug+ of plump helmet wine while telling tales, singing, and generally just be a dwarf. My hope is to eventually have a simple combat system which will allow for a military and the need for fortress defense to come up, but that might take a while. I don't intend to do any actual coding, at least for a while, so I can't really tell you what the more complicated stuff will take.

It is, however, worth noting, that absolutely none of this implemented. Feel free to come in, hang out, and try to figure out the system, but there isn't anything right now.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 05:48:54 pm by Tahin »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2008, 07:58:20 pm »

Hm... I wonder if we might see Toady One or Three Toe visiting our fortress from time to time...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2008, 08:06:29 pm »

That's what I was thinking, actually.... Could be interesting to see Toady's or Threetoe's take on roleplaying a dwarf.

One thing that I would like to see implimented: A wear command, but not in the usual sense. Rather than just wearing an item and it going into it's appropriate slot, you would type something like "wear sword = on belt" and it would then display in your inventory as "Sword (On Belt)." Or something. Just a thought, but I can't code yet so I can't do it myself.

I don't really want to see this turn into an interactive novel. I mean, that's what it will be in the end, but not in the sense of "EACH EMOTE AS TO BE A PAGE LONG AT LEAST OR YOU GET BANNED." I would like to see it be pretty loose, and things like this would help make it more accessible, as you wouldn't have to constantly emote about what you look like to keep people updated as to what you are wearing, and you wouldn't have to constantly change your description to match whether you are wearing a particular hat that day. Of course, for many items, simply having them in your inventory is enough to suggest that you're wearing it, but I'd like to see a bit more detail than that. And I doubt it would be that difficult to impliment. But I have yet to learn to code. I guess I should do so before I start making judgements about what may or may not be difficult.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 09:51:24 pm by Tahin »

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2008, 10:32:49 pm »

Thing is, MUDs are relatively easy to code, just a lot of busy work. You have to write room descriptions, command instructions... but usually nothing too impossible to actually code. The problem is that all the flavor has to be written by a few people, or it gets to be to varied in quality and feel.

If I were to make a MUD like this, it'd allow people to build their own forts, but to prevent ridiculous amounts of dug-out land, if no one "Cleans" the area for a couple days, everything in the room is destroyed, and it fills back in. Basically, people that quit playing are buried in the space of a few days.

You have this backwards (or, perhaps, a MUD is radically different from a MUX). Building and thematic compilation is a cakewalk, coding is rigorous, brain-breaking work. Or at least any coder would be able to tell you this.

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
  • My glasses split light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2008, 10:47:06 pm »

Hah, I code. When you get right down to it, RPG's are all equations and lists. Not exactly brain-busting work. Just alot of it, plus deciding how exactly how you want the equations to work, tweaking, updating, etc.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2008, 10:50:39 pm »

Hah, I code. When you get right down to it, RPG's are all equations and lists. Not exactly brain-busting work. Just alot of it, plus deciding how exactly how you want the equations to work, tweaking, updating, etc.

Let me show you the code for my virtual inventory program sometime...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14