Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress MU* Discussion  (Read 44484 times)

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress MU* Discussion
« Reply #195 on: March 04, 2009, 11:22:33 am »

haha yeah... so far I've basically been moral support.  Hopefully once the mini-hell of today is over I'll be coding up the ground work for the crafting system, though.  That should be fun.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 04, 2009, 04:42:08 pm »

I have yet to see any of your code for that, if you even have some, but it sounds like you're figuring it out.

About the thing about full object oriented and real-time coding, that's what this codebase does. I've never used MOO before, but it sounds about the same. The code is an interpreted c-like language, and it uses .c and .h file just like C, but it's entirely realtime, no recompiling involved.

And Zyll/Bluerobin427, you've been pretty helpful thus far, actually. Even just having someone with a basic knowledge of the code around to help me with debugging is helpful, and you're learning quickly. In quite a few ways you're a better programmer than I am, which isn't really saying much.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 04, 2009, 05:16:46 pm »

Aww... *warmfuzzies*.

Anyway, time for crafting!
...after a brief WoW interlude.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 05, 2009, 01:32:21 am »

i downloaded one of the clients but it won't connect

new info please

:current download link
:server location
:login information

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 05, 2009, 01:48:07 am »

It's all in my sig, but I guess it doesn't hurt to post it again. Seriously, I'll start a new thread and have it in the first post once I don't feel like it would be overeager start one at this point.

Address: dfmud.no-ip.org
Port: 1050

To login, just type a character name and hit enter. This can be up to 20 characters not including punctuation (Spaces, apostrophes, dashes, and so on), and 25 including. Then you'll have to type a password twice and answer a bunch of annoying questions which I'll remove once I care enough to figure out how. Logging in after this is just a matter of typing your character name, hitting enter, then your password, and enter again, and you're in, assuming you typed it correctly.

I've been meaning to mention this for a while, and now is as good time as any, but this system doesn't include spaces and such when parsing character names. If you are faced with three characters, named Urist Axeblazes, Urist Sabrestorms, and Urist Handgods, the command "say to Urist Axeblazes Hello." will likely result in the output "You say to Urist Handgods, "Axeblazes Hello."" What you would want to type is "say to uristaxeblazes Hello." Which would target the proper character. Note that "look Urist Axeblazes" will still work properly, as it's not actively looking for a space in there, and "look first/second/third urist" should work as well.

Also, Zyll, check your mail.

EDIT: Oh, and I should really add: Sorry about the lag. It gets pretty bad sometimes. Of course, everything's currently under development anyway, so it's not like it would be playable without lag.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 01:56:27 am by Tahin »

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 05, 2009, 11:23:12 pm »

what if i would like to help code?

edit: mushclient is great for logging on

don't know what i would do now though
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 11:50:10 pm by eerr »

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 06, 2009, 02:44:41 am »

Welcome aboard. We'll see if this works out.

I've started a new thread at http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=31865.0 as this one was getting out of hand. Unfortunately I can't lock this one. Please let this monstrosity sink to the murky depths of the forum.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]