Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 74

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress 2  (Read 66366 times)

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress 2
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2007, 07:14:00 am »

Also, can stairs only be built up or down on the same spot? Can you build stairs in the square adjacent and down one space from the space diagonally up? (if not, then maybe this is the true need for ladders?)

this would be the difference between the following two scenarios:

code:

Scenario 1   Scenario 2
                     Digging      Placing a ladder/stairs (H)
         Before      stairs       over the edge

###         ###          ###
Level+1   @..         ..>          ...H  
         ###         ###          ###

###.        ###.         ###.
Level 0   ###.        ##>@         ###H  
         ###.        ###.         ###@

[ September 22, 2007: Message edited by: Faces of Mu ]

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2007, 07:24:00 am »

And yet another question: How do we know if we are looking at the liquid in the space or looking at the surface of the liquid in the space below??

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2007, 08:58:00 am »

Liquid one z-level below will be represented by a colored period (".") I believe.

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2007, 09:19:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Faces of Mu:
<STRONG>Also, can stairs only be built up or down on the same spot? Can you build stairs in the square adjacent and down one space from the space diagonally up? (if not, then maybe this is the true need for ladders?)
</STRONG>

If I'm understanding you correctly, then your description of ladders is the way ramps work which are already in.
Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2007, 09:45:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Janus:
<STRONG>
If I'm understanding you correctly, then your description of ladders is the way ramps work which are already in.</STRONG>

Hmmm, not sure if you are. I'm talking sbout dwarves getting to the level below without digging. Is tha what ramps can do?

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2007, 10:42:00 am »

quote:
Recent Developments:
<STRONG> I have most of the backing in place, and after that's done it should be simple to get floating, completely unconnected components to drop. It should also be easy to handle a few of the more egregious abuses that are still connected, as well as ceilings that are made out of loose soil.</STRONG>

I have feeling it's about to get a lot more dangerous to go digging.

"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2007, 03:06:00 pm »

RESCURECTION:

Skeletal birds can't fly, nether can skeletal fish, skeletal birds can, however, swim, or at lest float, because their bones are filed whit air!  :o

Sorry if I'm of topic.  :roll:

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2007, 03:09:00 pm »

What about skeletal snails? :P

Imagine being attacked by an empty shell.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2007, 03:41:00 pm »

Sadly, skeletal snails have no joints, and therefore can not move...

However, maybe this should be an exception from realism, skeletal snail attack really would be awesome!

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2007, 03:46:00 pm »

I haven't decided on exactly what's going to collapse and what's not, aside from the floating components.  I've just got it collecting information about vertical columns of rock with rectangular bases with uniform base elevation, in the hopes that I can do something with architecture later.  I haven't decided exactly what I'm going to do with it because I haven't even seen how well it'll handle floating components at this point.  Hopefully it will be fast enough to stay.

With rewall, I think it still has issues with going straight up even if you use a scaffold, and it doesn't like to do things like rooftops even though the human towns have them.  I'll deal with it at some point.  I don't remember if you can build constructions from an angle above.  You can dig channels that way.  It'll be easy enough to allow what needs allowing at some point.  I'm not sure what I'll get to when I'm testing things out.

Liquids are bright if they are on the same level, and dark if you are one level above.  They are dots if you are two levels above.  You can see liquids from one level above in the blood flow movie.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2007, 04:48:00 pm »

I still think the best way to make a house is making a cube of rock and mining out the inside.   :)
Why don't you make scaffolding a type of rewall, in that it acts as both a wall and a ladder? That way you can build lots of scaffolding, rewall on top, and remove (or plain crash) the scaffolds. Domes were built that way in real life up until some time ago.

Since the old topic was left, this question wasn't answered, so I'll ask again.

Will water freeze if exposed to outside air, or if it simply leaves underground? Because in the former case there's a really nifty way to make ice houses - rewall a volume of rock, then hollow it out to the size of your house, then fill the empty space with water, then mine out the rock shell starting from the roof. The water will freeze, and a standing cube of ice will be made, free to be mined out into whatever form you need.

[ September 22, 2007: Message edited by: Sean Mirrsen ]

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2007, 08:26:00 pm »

Sean, I think your answer is here:

quote:
Originally quoted by Toady One, FotF p101: <STRONG> Right now if you run water outside from a cave river on a freezing map it will freeze (instantly...). The fact that it freezes instantly might make it difficult to really build something up out there. It would be possible to have water carry over the temperature of its previous square when it moves, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

</STRONG>

Did you miss it? Or are you referring to something else?

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2007, 08:33:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>
With rewall, I think it still has issues with going straight up even if you use a scaffold, and it doesn't like to do things like rooftops even though the human towns have them.</STRONG>

I wonder what the difference is between a rooftop and a raw wall top?

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>  I don't remember if you can build constructions from an angle above.  You can dig channels that way.  It'll be easy enough to allow what needs allowing at some point.  I'm not sure what I'll get to when I'm testing things out. </STRONG>

Oh crud, I think this was the main use ppl were finding rewalling a use for (otherwise, how can you get a rewall to attach to the side of another rewall and float over nothing?). I guess for the time being rewalling will literally only be reWALLing and no more.

Or at least, until we know how cave-ins work, I suppose we can build a rewall on top of a rewall and then remove the rewall below so long as there are adjacent walls it can 'attach' to.

I guess I'm trying to figure out what I would see if I were looking at a series of three rewalls in RL. Would they be one continuous wall, or three adjacent but unconnected constructions? Could one support another next to it?

Questions questions...

Thallone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2007, 11:07:00 am »

Perhaps this would be a good use for bridges? 'course the Toady one would have to allow bridges to have things built on them then, like workshops, stockpiles and doors, and there'd have to be a provision to destroy things on bridges when you remove or destroy the underlying bridge or when the bridge raises.

DrJonez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2007, 12:27:00 pm »

So it's cool that water freezes now (no pun intended  ;)), but can it be heated now too?

My idea was to build a small holding tank of water, and then find a way to heat it. Perhaps piping lava in to flow around the outside of the tank. Then once the water is nice and boiling hot, I pull a lever and it goes rushing down the hallway to boil any attackers alive  ;)

I realize you could just use lava, but now that it hardens into rock it's not exactly something you want to be flooding your hallways with.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 74