Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New Utility project: Random language generator  (Read 6169 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: New Utility project: Random language generator
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 09:42:37 am »

I've just remembered an idea I had and posted about it in Suggestions. I've been looking at the language_words file and it struck me - exactly the same thing, applied to "language_SPECIES" files, will achieve all the desired effects of the languages. You will have different word forms for different words, and different word placement rules for different species, maybe even different word lists. language_words will be reduced to a "general English translation" file, translating the different forms of different words into readable form for translated names.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: New Utility project: Random language generator
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2008, 10:23:25 am »

That would be pretty cool. Toady has on his list a revamp of the language system. It'll be interesting to see what he does with it. And, of course, I'll need to write a whole new script to handle the new changes.  :D

This is turning out to be a fun little project to work on. I still haven't gotten the odd ascii characters to work right. Not sure exactly where I'm screwing up yet, but when I get that in place I can probably release the first version of this.

Although, I suppose if people are happy making languages without the odd ascii stuff I could release what I've got.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 [2]