Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Injured cancels Rest: Interrupted by Attacker. x300 Bug?  (Read 7050 times)

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
Injured cancels Rest: Interrupted by Attacker. x300 Bug?
« on: August 13, 2008, 01:40:22 am »

I happened to have a bunch of immigrants show up right after a departing caravan ran into a goblin ambush.  The ambushers had scattered to chase fleeing merchants, and this happened to form a convenient net for trapping the immigrants.

The trouble is that people who got caught by goblins, but not immediately killed, announced constant rest cancellations.  Unpausing and immediately pausing again would add a considerable number of repetitions to the list.  Is this supposed to happen?  It seems like there ought to be a brief delay before the next cancellation.

Screenshot of announcements.

In the latter case, both the goblin and her victim, Ost, are unconscious.  The goblin is also winded; I'm hoping Ost got a chokehold on her before giving in, and she'll suffocate. :)
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Injured cancels Rest: Interrupted by Attacker. x300 Bug?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 08:29:35 pm »

Sounds like a generalization of Bug 957 ("resting dwarf spammed rest cancellation when confronted by a goblin in a cage").  I'll fold it into the original report.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

cecilkorik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 03:15:33 pm »

I've come across a similar but unrelated problem with the rest cancellations.

My hunter was out hunting, got severely wounded and fell unconscious. He cancelled his rest due to the attacker a few times, no spam, before he was rescued. I thought everything was well and he was carried back to a bed.

But as soon as he was dropped off at the bed, he cancelled his rest *again* due to the attacker, even though the attacker was miles away by this point. And then he proceeded to stand there on his bed, refusing to rest, with his job as "No job".

Strangely, he did start to heal (3 yellows down to 1), and the other dwarves did bring him food and water despite not being "Resting" or unconscious and he sat on his bed as a vegetable for a good long time before he finally became Drowsy, then Very Drowsy, then went stark raving mad. I've got a save about a month before he goes mad if you're interested in taking a look.

technophile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 07:38:45 pm »

I have a save similar to cecil's (posted about it here), although in my case the ranger is unconscious on the bed (and slowly healing). I'm hoping he doesn't go nuts at the end, though. Guess it's a good thing he's passed out in the barracks...

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 08:17:00 pm »

Does blowing up his bed and building him a new one work?  It did with the unconsciousness bug.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 10:05:53 pm »

I experienced this bug, but the spam ended after I killed the goblin that had wounded her and ended the siege that it came in with.

I call it a bug, but ironically it actually saved that dwarf.  If the rest job had gone through, she would have walked right in front of the remaining goblins.  As it was, she basically hid in the woods until it was safe.  It was actually pretty cool.

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have a recruit who I accidently sent out without weapons, along with several similarly fubar'd recruits, to fight snakemen. After a bit of a slaughter I risked sending a legendary miner and (I think) all the snakemen involved were killed. Rovod (the surviving recruit) was paralyzed after the fight but was rescued, and now he's in Extreme Pain in my barracks, telling me that his rest is interrupted due to snakeman about 30 times a second (about every 2 - 3 frames).

He's not paralyzed or anything anymore, and he never shows up as Resting because he instantly wakes up, though apparently he's trying to rest every microsecond. His right arm is red and his left lower arm is light grey (used to be bright yellow). I got rid of his bed and he was eventually placed in a different bed and that didn't solve the problem. Thankfully my fortress is pretty new and I only have 8 barracks beds total, so there's lots of ways I could solve this (that is, kill the whiny recruit Rovod).

Apparently from this thread they can eventually heal like normal, but a red wound -might- never heal so I just won't bother. update: I un-placed all the beds, and while I was getting my death-diving board ready and going to make sure that Rovod had nothing better to do than pull a lever forever that puts him in a bad place to be, I noticed he was Sleeping (just on the ground) and there was no spam. He hasn't had the problem since then. If the snakeman that hurt him was still alive, it hasn't been killed since, so that wasn't what unbugged me. What might've helped is that when there were no beds, my wounded dwarves stopped resting and began to move around again-- what this may have accomplished is that he became 'active' again and was able to realize the snakeman wasn't there and carry on with regular labors.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 05:37:05 am by Stromko »

technophile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 10:42:26 pm »

I tried it today, and removing all shared beds (briefly, you can re-place them once they're all gone) does fix the issue. He's no longer spamming messages about the goblin.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 11:44:24 am »

I pulled up this thread today because of the same bug.  I had a hunter who, before finally being rescued, had his rest interrupted 15,107 times by a long-absent camel.  No one was rescuing him.  I had only barracks beds.  I made a private bedroom and assigned it to the hunter.  He was rescued and the messages stopped.

Perhaps the few beds in the barracks had too many rest calls stacked up for them so that the game thought there was no where to place an injured Dwarf.  However, there still was no camel present where he lay.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 02:59:05 am »

Possibly another form of the same bug:

One of my fisherman just got stabbed by a goblin thief on his way out (he ran before he got anything/one, thankfully.), and as he went to go rest in his bed, my military chased the goblin back past the poor fisherman, frightening him once more. He kind of cancelled resting and ran off to drop things in stockpiles. He has a red lung-wound that isn't bleeding, and he seems to be randomly falling down unconscious and getting winded, but never going to rest! Why won't my dwarf rest?

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 12:04:18 pm »

Except that a red lung wound never heals, so dwarves don't try to rest it off.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 01:50:39 pm »

Except that a red lung wound never heals, so dwarves don't try to rest it off.

I think I saw one heal once.  But that guy was superdwarvenly tough and it still took like 10 game years.  Might not have been a lung though... I can't remember.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 02:10:19 pm »

Red lung wounds heal provided the other lung is still okay. The only wounds that do not heal to my knowledge are nervous tissue damage, and red heart wounds. Yes, it is possible to get a bruised heart, provided the damage comes through heat.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 06:51:59 pm »

Red lung wounds heal provided the other lung is still okay. The only wounds that do not heal to my knowledge are nervous tissue damage, and red heart wounds. Yes, it is possible to get a bruised heart, provided the damage comes through heat.
I've had some very tough dwarves go a very long time (10, 15 years +) with a red lung, and have never seen one heal.  They get winded occasionally, but are otherwise fine.

Maybe it can heal if they rest, but one red lung isn't enough to make them do that, causing a de facto perma-injury?  They'll rest for any other red wound I can think of, though; I always assumed that meant that it couldn't heal.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 07:55:41 pm »

Maybe it can heal if they rest, but one red lung isn't enough to make them do that, causing a de facto perma-injury?  They'll rest for any other red wound I can think of, though; I always assumed that meant that it couldn't heal.

Actually, I think you're right.  The red-lung-heals dwarf I mentioned also had a mangled arm or something, and that kept him in bed.  I think the lung healed first.