Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Undermine fortress, the biggest cavein ever.  (Read 2675 times)

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
Re: Undermine fortress, the biggest cavein ever.
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2008, 09:53:00 am »

Please tell me you recorded this, and provide the link.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2008, 10:14:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Sheezy:
<STRONG>So that effectively removes vermin?</STRONG>

More or less. I bet when the map generates more, or however it works they will appear back on the ground.

I can try to take a video of it but the vanilla one level collapse isn't as interesting as something more complex. Sometime soon I'm going to try to collapse the cube into a pyramid. Ill record that.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2008, 11:55:00 am »

Save 3Dwarf images of it in mid collapse!
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Vercoln

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2008, 02:04:00 pm »

I'm actually working on a very similar project.  The map that I'm using is a desert (flat surface).  Currently, I'm saving the pre-collapse map.  It is already entirely gutted down to the 15th layer (leaving the top layer intact, of course).

I modded my dwarves to make the process go faster.  No sleeping, eating, drinking, or partying on my watch.  Plus I made them as fast as possible.

Good luck with your experiments!

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2008, 02:10:00 pm »

Next up on the plate. Digging into undermine fortress to make the rock into one big inverted pyramid shape. Post collapse this *should* turn into a pyramid right side up. Festooned with dead dwarves of course. Well see what happens.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2008, 05:03:00 pm »

So they're Aztec dwarves?
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2008, 05:15:00 pm »

My compliments on this Legendary experiment. Can't wait to see a movie / 3dwarf images
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2008, 12:31:00 am »

New results! Collapsing ice floors results in NO rubble cloud, but is otherwise identical to other collapses. Dwarves on top fall and are injured as normal. Everything under the falling floor tiles is crushed as if a bridge landed on them.

Kronos

• Bay Watcher
  • Diorite Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2008, 08:53:52 am »

Believe it or not, I, too, was working on something very similar to this, only I immediately sealed off all connections to the surface and was simply going to dig out a huge area, keep it up with supports and collapse it. Oh yeah, and there was a Goblin Tower on top.
Sadly, I won't be able to view the glorious results until we get some kind of cave-in system again.

anyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2008, 09:51:11 am »

So experimenting. What I have learned so far:<P>1. Floor tiles without solid rock beneath them collapse and vanish whether they are cut loose themselves or as part of a larger collapse.. Solid rock tiles fall until they hit solid ground where they stay.
2. All constructions such as statues bridges and trade depots become deconstructed. Stockpiles are deleted and the items are scattered all over the place.
3. A fall of one level is rarely injuring to an adult dwarf.
4. A fall of two levels can result in at least yellow wounds, usually to the lower body, legs (and presumably, the spine). Red injuries as well but are rare.
5. A fall of three levels is about 60% fatal. All survivors are seriously injured with multiple red wounds and TONS of less severe injuries.
6. Fall of 4 levels. Even more deadly. Couldn't find a single dwarf who didn't have less than 4 yellow wounds, or a dwarf who had less than 2 red wounds.
7. Ant hills levitate where solid ground used to be.
8. Vermin levitate as well, this is rather strange since most of them (lizards in this case) can not fly.<p>[ June 13, 2008: Message edited by: Tamren ]
I had a dwarf fall from 4 stories up (so, a fall of three stories) with only minor(no-rest) wounds... He was on a constructed (above-ground) building and fell to ground after deconstructing a floor which left a wall unconnected. Maybe because constructed walls are destroyed when falling, the dwarves take less damage?

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2008, 02:06:33 pm »

What does "There is a Dwarf hidden away here" mean?
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2008, 03:46:21 pm »

Looks good for a one time use trap. Put a bunch of presure plates under a lose ceiling and hook them up to a suport. Then when something steps on the suport, well let's say he's goig to have an intimate meeting with the ceiling.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2008, 04:12:59 pm »

What does this experiment to Aquifers?
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2008, 04:34:49 pm »

I'm eager to know what does "There is a dwarf hidden away here" mean too...
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 [2]