Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Programmers  (Read 9657 times)

Angry Lawyer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angry-Lawyer.com
Re: Programmers
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2008, 04:55:56 am »

We'd all strangle each other over commenting styles.

-Angry Lawyer

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2008, 04:57:48 am »

i am studying informatic too ...
but make something for DF is hard i don't realy beliv it is a code i thing it is something new that evolving by himself and Toady is an AI hows personality it is using for caverage :D
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2008, 05:15:02 am »

C++ Game developer, some SQL. Currently working for a company that make MMOs and MMO middleware.

Give me any API that works with C++ and I can probably use it.

Working together could work during the following critera, we find something that all the programs can comunicate by. We plan and structure in detail what data should be sent between components.
Everyone works on their own component where noone is allowed to complain whats going on as long as the component gives the data specified. ^^

And no, I still wouldn't be intreseted. But that could work. ^^
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

Angry Lawyer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angry-Lawyer.com
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2008, 05:51:40 am »

But then you'd get the "Why" issue.  Why would a program that imports heightmaps need to communicate with one that simplifies sticking bodyparts together?

-Angry Lawyer

ChJees

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2008, 06:01:13 am »

All in one app?

Or why not just make a huge package of separate Applications and one "Launcher" application :P?

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2008, 06:07:14 am »

I know ruby, VB.NET, C#.NET. I'm going to a programming school next year.
So far, my favourite part is to build up AI, and DF literally made me fall in love with emergent gameplay ;D

baczek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2008, 06:09:35 am »

* baczek too

I'd love to see toady open up the game a bit more, so all this potential doesn't have to get wasted by searching for memory addresses ;p I'm not saying "open source", more like GUI API - see WoW e.g.
volve or face extinction

jellyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2008, 06:29:03 am »

I do data analysis in a large corporation - I do some coding in SQL and some scripting/ visual basic for applications (MS Access), and database development, macros.

I don't consider myself a 'real' programmer, but I certainly no a few things.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2008, 07:12:48 am »

I tried to teach myself Python at some point but I just don't have the patience for it.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2008, 07:52:11 am »

I know enough FreeBasic to be comfortable with learning more, if that makes sense. Right now I'm waiting for them to improve their OOP support before continuing a project I'm writing in it.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2008, 07:55:27 am »

Electrical engineer here, but I do code as a hobby and a tad for work. I'm one of those terrifying hardware-guys-that-knows-just-enough-code-to-screw-everything-up. I favor Python and Java on my own time, and use bog-standard C for work.

And yeah, a real API for apps would be awesome, because I think there are far more of us that would be able to code something with an API that are a little out of our depth when we have to do the memory address hunt and peck.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2008, 10:41:20 am »

Interesting :).

I wonder what would be if all of the programmers here would team up and do a Dwarf Fortress Tool\Utility :P.

Quote Zen Programming: http://www.canonical.org/~kragen/tao-of-programming.html
A manager went to the master programmer and showed him the requirements document for a new application. The manager asked the master: ``How long will it take to design this system if I assign five programmers to it?''

``It will take one year,'' said the master promptly.

``But we need this system immediately or even sooner! How long will it take if I assign ten programmers to it?''

The master programmer frowned. ``In that case, it will take two years.''

``And what if I assign a hundred programmers to it?''

The master programmer shrugged. ``Then the design will never be completed,'' he said.

LShadow

• Bay Watcher
  • The moon's on fire!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2008, 11:40:15 am »

I've been programming professionally for fifteen years. I do C# almost exclusively anymore (and all the bits and pieces that go with it). Of that, ninety percent is probably designing rules and prediction systems.
What is hydrogen? It's a substance which, if you leave enough of it sitting around long enough, completely unsupervised, becomes life that eventually evolves into something complicated enough to ask the question 'What is hydrogen?'

Ter13

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wait... Dwarves like food, don't they?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2008, 11:53:55 am »

I've been programming unprofessionally for the last eleven years. I recently got a job working on a commercial MMO, but due to my non-disclosure agreement, I'm not allowed to say which... =P

I'm versed in C/C++, Java, PHP, Python, Ruby, DM, JScript, HS, and a bunch more languages I don't even care to mention.

I think this game attracts people of an intellectual nature, and not just that aspect keeps us around, I believe it's the urge to create that really draws people to this game.

There are really two types of gamers, those that love destruction, and those that love creation. The latter seem to be much less common, which is why DF is such a Niche game.
Murderhold - A story about a fortress closed off from the world, attempting to survive a zombie-infested wilderness.
Murderhold Discussion thread

Frobozz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2008, 01:09:58 pm »

I'm mostly self-taught having learned C++ and C# on my own but having also taken two one-semester courses in program design consisting of a little of everything from the basics up to threading. For the most part I've stuck with C++ however I'm trying to learn C# with the goal of getting into XNA 3.0 when it is released at the end of the year.

Quote from: Ter13
I recently got a job working on a commercial MMO, but due to my non-disclosure agreement, I'm not allowed to say which.
If the MMO is Flyff, say hello to Deadlydata and SilentX when they next hack your servers. I hear they've been doing that a number of times in the past few weeks. ;D
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 01:12:14 pm by Frobozz »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11