Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: Programmers  (Read 9805 times)

Jifodus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress Projects
Re: Programmers
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2008, 01:28:02 pm »

And yeah, a real API for apps would be awesome, because I think there are far more of us that would be able to code something with an API that are a little out of our depth when we have to do the memory address hunt and peck.
I attempted that, see: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/User:Jifodus/Dwarf_Fortress_Utility_Framework

However, at the moment, it's currently on my backburner pending a working automatic address locator; since I learned that maintaining the complex structure format was a real pain. OTOH, it also was the most flexible, and an easy-to-use engine.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2008, 03:35:17 pm »

We'd all strangle each other over commenting styles.

...you comment your code?

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2008, 03:55:45 pm »

We'd all strangle each other over commenting styles.

...you comment your code?
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Cepheid

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity? What is this sanity you speak of?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2008, 04:55:22 pm »

Self-taught C, C++, PHP, Perl, all of which was expanded upon by currently attending College.  Thanks to school, I also know Javascript, HTML, CSS, and M68000 assembly.

I am also capable of adapting to and learning any language put in front of me within a few weeks at most.

Currently, in regards to APIs, I am mostly self-teaching myself the OpenGL API currently.  I am also looking into Linux software development and other more complex things.
Feel free to pester me via MSN and such.  I don't bite, and I'm always looking for new and interesting people to talk to.

Also, I'm crazy.  Like a FOX!

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2008, 05:55:04 pm »

C++ and Python, self taught and a bit of schooling.  Just finished making the Python UI for Civilization4: Colonization.  Would love to re-write this game UI from scratch.  The pages and pages of responses are rather clear that this game attracts a programmers like a moth to a flame (learned about it myself from another programmer as I suspect many others have).
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2008, 06:14:46 pm »

[...]
There are really two types of gamers, those that love destruction, and those that love creation. The latter seem to be much less common, which is why DF is such a Niche game.

I like to build things to blow them up. I actualy planed to make a game where you build a structure, then people and explosives are randomly placed, then you take responsibility for guiding a character trough the inferno to help survivers.
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

Nomadic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2008, 07:21:23 pm »

Self taught mishmash of web and application languages (no database languages yet though now that I am learning PHP I need to change that).

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2008, 08:22:28 pm »

Aspiring programmer here.

I've done things primarily with Java, I'm learning C++, C# and Python though. I also know a good bit of SQL.
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

ChJees

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2008, 05:13:12 am »

I myself is self taught :P.

I know PHP, C++ and some SQL.

ChaosFollowing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosfollowing.com
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2008, 06:32:43 am »

I've forgotten more about programming than I'll probably ever relearn.

That being said, I downloaded Visual Studio 2008 Express C++ and the DirectX SDK the other day, so maybe its time to test that theory.

Shakkara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2008, 08:36:47 am »

Mostly self-thought semi-professional Virtools programmer, and knowing the basics of of C++, C# and PHP.

And getting a Master's degree in Game Design this year.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2008, 08:58:07 am »

Java mainly, but also C++, C# and Delphi.

mattmoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2008, 10:53:05 am »

Not programming much at the moment, but I've been a programmer for 20 or so years, the last 10 in professional game development (N64, PS1-3, Xbox, 360). Primarily C++.

Vodalian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2008, 01:43:58 pm »

I'm a freelance programmer.

Naero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2008, 02:55:20 pm »

I program telemetry devices, mostly in Python.
Quote from: Toady One
# 03/17/2009: The broken-armed dwarf understood that he needed to run off to the hospital zone properly, but care never came, because I'm still working on that. Poor little buddy.
#  03/18/2009: He's now surrounded by many skilled medical professionals. They still aren't all that useful, but just their presence must be encouraging for him. Well, I guess that's not true either.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11