Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What was 2D like?  (Read 11267 times)

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
What was 2D like?
« on: August 16, 2008, 02:03:12 pm »

I have heard some disjointed stories of zombies and cave-ins and river floods and other wonders of the old version. Could some of you veterans list me all the things it had that are (at least temporarily) removed from the current version? Also, is the 2D game downloadable anywhere, and does it have any game-crippling bugs that make it nigh unplayaple?

Buckermann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What was 2D like?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 02:15:20 pm »

Scroll down in the download section. I think 0.23.130.23a was the last 2D version.
And no, there are not really any gamebreaking bugs as far as I remember.
Art reflects life, and then menaces with spikes.

Dasqoot

• Bay Watcher
  • He-wenching for the cause.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 02:21:12 pm »

Here's the archive of the old wiki:

http://archive.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Main_Page

Off the top of my head the biggest differences were the lack of a construction menu, and guaranteed metals, flux, cave river, magma and HFS. Forts could be very generic because there was always some of everything at every site.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 02:48:54 pm »

I started playing long before 3d came about.

Personally I found it a lot less complex. You head to the right and start digging into the cliff face, start unloading all your stuff and get prepared for your irrigation scheme (farming was much harder back then). The only real danger of messing up a fort was perma-flooding, the bane of 2d forts, which happened extremely frequently. Bear in mind there was no forbidding, no dumping designations; your dwarves would immediately rush out to grab a +pig tail sock+ in the middle of a 100-goblin invasion and there was nothing you could do except lock the doors.

Sheezy

• Bay Watcher
  • Jon Ban Jovi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 02:51:37 pm »

Downloaded version, keeps genning and rejecting.
halp
<Naze>   A baby crying in the cave!
<Naze>   Don't go in there woman!
<Naze>   Your not trained for mutant superbabies!

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 03:13:48 pm »

You head to the right and start digging into the cliff face, start unloading all your stuff and get prepared for your irrigation scheme (farming was much harder back then). The only real danger of messing up a fort was perma-flooding, the bane of 2d forts, which happened extremely frequently. Bear in mind there was no forbidding, no dumping designations; your dwarves would immediately rush out to grab a +pig tail sock+ in the middle of a 100-goblin invasion and there was nothing you could do except lock the doors.
Ah the good old days... None of this new fang dangled "re-walling" either. Unless you used a utility. Also surviving the first winter I remember was a lot harder.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 03:15:58 pm by Thendash »
Thendash's Livestream

This game could honestly give out hand jobs for free and people would still bitch.

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 03:16:57 pm »

Downloaded version, keeps genning and rejecting.
halp

The world generator has been sped up remarkably in the 3d versions. I rarely have to wait longer than 4 or 5 minutes, even on my crappy laptop. In the old 2D versions, a wait of up to 20 minutes was perfectly normal.
This is not a signature.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 03:23:28 pm »

Yep, I still have the 2D version on my computer. Actually, loaded it up and there was my lost save. The only successful 2D fort I ever had.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

tigger89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 05:39:58 pm »

I've been playing the 2d version on and off.  It has good points and bad points.  One of the things I really enjoyed was the more diverse nobles.  I don't like playing the military aspect of the game, and would love to be able to play in a 3d environment with the 2d nobles.  Does anyone know if there's plans for them to be added back in?  Or are we stuck with a smaller number of nobles?

BahamutZERO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008, 06:00:19 pm »

I've been playing the 2d version on and off.  It has good points and bad points.  One of the things I really enjoyed was the more diverse nobles.  I don't like playing the military aspect of the game, and would love to be able to play in a 3d environment with the 2d nobles.  Does anyone know if there's plans for them to be added back in?  Or are we stuck with a smaller number of nobles?
I think the plan with the nobles like the weapon cult guys is to make them generated procedurally with each civ rather than be representing the same fixed groups in every civ and world. The religion/deities stuff he added recently is related.

The old seperate baron/ess, count/ess, duke/duchess nobles were all rolled together into one noble that upgrades, and there's no longer the crowd of house/guild/cult representatives always demanding stuff.

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2008, 07:14:30 pm »

Carp were just as deadly as they were now. However, Elephants would form alliances with goblins, MURDER dwarves left and right, and if you got in the right biome there would be MILLIONS of them. Go read Boatmurdered for an example. The fortress there eventually died to a fire spiral, but they were seriously troubled by elephants. Nowadays they're pacified, but carp, giant eagles and unicorns are picking up the slack.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2008, 08:58:15 am »

I'm a newbie, so I haven't played the 2D version. And I have no desire to try it. But one thing I'd like to see brought back (if I've heard correctly) is the requirement to re-flood your farms each season. Either that or fertilize, say. It just seems more realistic, and farming is a bit TOO easy right now.

But that's just being picky, I know. :)

Bill

Khain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2008, 09:07:48 am »

Also surviving the first winter I remember was a lot harder.

Ah yes, winters were so much harder on small forts back then, farming stopped altogether and due to an increase in the stupidty of the dwarves and the hostility of nearby animals usually meant that hunting was a risky source of food during your first winter
Khain is a dubious worshipper of Stozu Oxtrararstruck Baxstutspen

KrataLightblade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2008, 11:33:59 am »

Carp were just as deadly as they were now. However, Elephants would form alliances with goblins, MURDER dwarves left and right, and if you got in the right biome there would be MILLIONS of them. Go read Boatmurdered for an example. The fortress there eventually died to a fire spiral, but they were seriously troubled by elephants. Nowadays they're pacified, but carp, giant eagles and unicorns are picking up the slack.

I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.
Noble corpses: the secret ingredient in machinery lubricant.

Flame11235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2008, 12:33:03 pm »

I've been playing the 2D version lately, and let me tell you, the beginning is a lot harder. You don't have the luxury of an extra 1000 points to spend on food and booze. I had to butcher some of the starting animals just to survive the first winter.
Pages: [1] 2