Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Rock Furnace  (Read 4255 times)

catpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rock Furnace
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008, 06:42:44 am »

The point is that it's certain KINDS of rock. You can't just grind up any old rock and get usable sand for glassmaking.

Additionally the dwarfs are unlikely to have the tech required to grind rocks.

However how reality near is the current DF implementation than a single square of sand will yield you an infinite supply of sand for all future...

Ascii Kid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is just a test
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2008, 07:03:16 am »

I didn't realise you could stack blocks, I thought they where just fancy chunks of rock.
Well, in that case; what if a) Your miners could be set to just pound the rock their mining into dust right there, on site through the use f some individual/globable switch, or have stackable rock/wood.
"...you'll have you live with your GRANDmother and pick beans!"
-Homer

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2008, 07:10:05 am »

Though modding I've sort of done this.

Random rocks can be prospected for metal. Its vastly less efficient than finding that particular metal ore, which is a 1:1 ratio of ore to bars, but random rocks are extremely plentiful, so a 10:1 ratio is still quite profitable and it cleans up the mess while also giving your metal industry a chance to get up and running without relying entirely on ore or goblins.

[REACTION:PROSPECT_ORE]
[NAME:prospect iron]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:10:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:NO_MATGLOSS]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:IRON]
[FUEL]

One possibility is to use the % for the production in the reaction to allow more random prospecting. For example, going off of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth#Chemical_composition, you could change the product line in this reaction to be:
[PRODUCT:32:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:IRON]

Thus, for each random stone you process you get 32% of an iron bar. The only problem with this is that most of the metals in the game are trace elements, and that every type of rock has a different composition. I was trying to use the average to reduce the number of reactions I'd have to write, though it would be possible to write a unique prospecting reaction for every type of rock. But again, by going this way aluminum would be one of the most common elements found from rocks (a very large chunk of the Earth's crust is made up of aluminum, but bound in such a way that it requires electricity to efficiently extract), and for most metals it'd be like a 1% gain from rocks, thus requiring 100 rocks to be processed for 1 bar of some metal.

Hmm...actually, on second thought, I might actually get around to try writing up prospecting reactions for all of the rock types. It'd allow the player to selectively remove certain kinds of rock while using other types of rock for building, such as eating up all of the worthless stone for prospecting and saving obsidian for the masons.

And apologies for the rambling nature of this post. I started writing it at 4:40am and insomnia sucks. :(

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2008, 08:25:31 am »

What, their teeth?  These are dwarfs, man!  They're not some sissy elves or humans.

catpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2008, 08:34:20 am »

What, their teeth?  These are dwarfs, man!  They're not some sissy elves or humans.

I'm already nosy on the job name...  "gnaw rocks into sand". (rock with SO2 that is)

SocietalEclipse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2008, 01:27:45 pm »

And then you could use up even more rock with Carve Rock Denturex30 runs. ::)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2008, 01:32:49 pm »

Stone teeth is a good idea, though so does any prostetic part... I can't wait for them to be implimented
Pages: 1 [2]