Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf combat behaviour selection :  (Read 2283 times)

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf combat behaviour selection :
« on: September 14, 2008, 03:02:38 pm »

I'm sorry if this has been suggested before or if it is allready in the game (I haven't found something similar to it though) , but I think this would be nice to add to the game.

It should be possible to select the general behaviour for each type of Dwarf in a combat situation , Ie Soldier / Worker such as :

*Flee when engaged by enemy.
*Do not target aquatic enemy (usefull when those pesky carp are targetting you).
*Flee when wounded (75% , 50% , 25% ).
*Agressive (follow enemy if he flees till he is dead or has escaped).
*Normal (follow enemy for a while if he flees).
*Defensive (holds designated position and will defend the zone designated).

Nethras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf combat behaviour selection :
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 03:22:12 pm »

Interesting ideas - which non-soldier dwarves would you want to set to NOT flee when engaged though?  Your original 7 until there's a chance of drawing something stronger than a kobold?

As for aggressive/normal/defensive, the squad settings already have a toggle for following opponents (the default, and basically your aggressive option) or staying near their post (somewhere between normal and defensive), though I can't swear to how well the second actually works.

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 04:14:44 pm »

Thanks.
I allready started a new map from my last Carp disaster at Blood river fortress and this time I could have used the flee setting.
On the way from the wagon the the new digsite the smart miners was passing a Volcano and yeah, a war dog and its owner stopped to look into the magma pit resulting in attracting a few firy imps attention.

The whole party was incinerated shortly afterwards...

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 05:44:48 pm »

This would require lot of AI coding I suppose, but I like it.  :)

Appelgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 12:08:15 pm »

I think such behaviours should be determined by the personality or history of the commander of each squad. So to make your military avoid aquatic enemies you should make Urist X the leader because she had a particularily bad run in with a carp.  Or choose Oddom Y because he is agressive and sure to order his dwarves to pursue enemies to the very edge of the earth.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 12:14:54 pm by Appelgren »

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 03:08:39 pm »

I think such behaviours should be determined by the personality or history of the commander of each squad. So to make your military avoid aquatic enemies you should make Urist X the leader because she had a particularily bad run in with a carp.  Or choose Oddom Y because he is agressive and sure to order his dwarves to pursue enemies to the very edge of the earth.

While what you are saying does make sense for soldiers, it doesnt in particular for Civs. Since it seems the default behaviour once attacked is pretty the same (dwarves keeps working on walls while elven archers shoot them to death for instance) it would be very usefull to be able to tell your dwarves what to do when they get attacked or frightened, this way instead of trying to avoid or dodge the enemy attacks they could just run for safety as fast as possible.