Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Don't Jump In Lava  (Read 20608 times)

rkyeun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Don't Jump In Lava
« on: August 17, 2008, 12:26:22 pm »

I understand that the dwarves are skillfully dodging, and the dogs are zealously pursuing...
But at some point a dwarf needs to decide taking a punch from a fire imp might be less painful than dodging that punch into the lava. Dodge a different way or just take the hit.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
Re: Don't Jump In Lava
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 01:05:51 pm »

There is no fence.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

unobtaniumman

• Bay Watcher
  • Stop squashing Mr. Saturn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 02:25:15 pm »

Yeah, just put up walls or vertical iron bars/grates. This will solve your fire imp infestation, too, cause they won't be able to get out.
Time Kitten: Brown oceans are typically blotched with red for no apparent reason. I say asthetics.

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 02:46:01 pm »

A "fix" involving extra player effort isn't a fix at all. Dwarves should know better than to jump into boiling magma.
This is not a signature.

BahamutZERO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 05:06:02 pm »

Or into a chasm, or into the carp-infested river, or etc.
There would still be the possibility of being knocked into such things from the way normal combat tends to knock bodies around.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 05:42:17 pm »

I was going to type something long, but i said "screw this" halfway through because it's just such a god damn retarded situation that your inexperience and complacency allowed to occur.

Your dwarves cannot be trusted to pay attention.
PAY ATTENTION OR PAY THE PRICE

[Complaining that your dwarf jumped into the magma because he dodged durring combat is like complaining that magma creatures attacked your unprotected metalsmiths.
1. USE MARKSDWARVES.
2. STATION THEM IN THE FORGES.
3. KEEP THEIR ASSES AWAY FROM THE MAGMA.
4. ???
5. OBTAIN LEGENDARY METAL SMITH]
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 05:45:38 pm by Mechanoid »
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 06:27:25 pm »

People getting attacked by creatures that feel threatened is logical.

People thinking 'I'll duck a light punch by hurling myself off a story or more drop' is not.

Fantasy world simulator, not lemming world simulator.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 08:22:04 pm »

They're too busy trying to defend themselves from the fire imps that they forget that they're standing next to a cliff and accidentally take a step too far.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 10:03:22 pm »

...seriously. You are bothered by magma creatures? Just get rid of them all at the beginning of the game.
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 07:40:03 am »

Of course they should be smart enough to realize where they're 'dodging'. Jumping off a 5-z-level cliff or a magma pipe *IS* unreasonable.

But, jumping off, say, a 1 or 2-z-level drop to get away is not. In fact, if they were willing to take a small fall to get away from the enemy then fort designs would have a new factor to consider. Dwarves should have jumping off a *SHORT* cliff as a viable option when fleeing from enemies.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 06:08:20 am »

It should be changed to accommodate the fact that sometimes the dwarf will be disorientated and have a small chance of dodging into lava. like a restricted square that dwarfs still use sometimes even if they are not supposed to. because sometimes its funny when a dwarf burns. sometimes.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 07:09:53 am »

I don't think them jumping five stories down is them doing the dumbest "Duck for cover" ever... I think it is supposed to represent them losing track of their possition. Why they don't crash into walls however is beyond me.

Ascii Kid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is just a test
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 07:11:35 am »

If you've ever been in a fist fight, you'd believe that people would leap into pools of lava to avoid a punch.  People in a fight rarely (if ever) pay attention to their surrounding, especially when a weapon is involved; their focus is on immediate danger, not the hypethical ones present around them. 
Take any given martial arts competition; one of the methods of scoring points is driving you ropponent out of the ring.  Why?  Because this represents pressing an opponent into an obsticle or hazard that changes the fight in a clear victory. 
I think it's fantastic when a dwarf dodges and rolls around and then, by mistake, dives into a magma pool or drowns ittself.  People die, stuff breaks. 
"...you'll have you live with your GRANDmother and pick beans!"
-Homer

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 07:28:56 am »

Yep and if you try to break up a fight in the ring... you run a serious risk of actually being attacked due to the pure concentration of these fighters... in fact they probably won't realise they hit you

catpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 07:34:48 am »

Actually in any movie when people fight at the edge of the a bridge /chasm / magma pot they are pretty well aware of that, they bend of he cliff. Try to toss the other into that cliff. But never ever one jumps backwards to dodge a blow to find himself in the deep chasm / magma pot / underwater drowning.
Pages: [1] 2 3