Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.28.181.40a Released  (Read 23605 times)

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.28.181.40a Released
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2008, 02:01:48 pm »

Toady: Earlier in the log you said
I had to generalize some of the item txt file handling for the embark profile files, so there will be the added benefit of allowing item corpses and the reaction raws to use more item types, from plants to bones to extracts etc. Corpses and their pieces as well as prepared food, being more complicated objects, are still not properly supported.
And I have to ask: Did the italics thing happen?
I assume it means we don't have to rely on that old material number trick for bones/leather/shell/other reactions, but I just can't figure it out...
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Nomadic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2008, 03:10:42 pm »

(*) you can save your embark settings for later use
(*) added forbid-on-death orders for your corpses, other non-hunted corpses, your items and other items

These two things are the two best epic recent updates in a history of epic updates.

foop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2008, 03:24:17 pm »

Is it my imagination, or has there been a remarkable FPS increase in the Mac version?  My old, badly-designed, cat-ridden fortress was crawling along in the previous version and is now remarkably sprightly.

Also, to echo previous posters, there is much win to be found in stack combination, embark saving and the forbidding of dead dorf's socks.

Azzmodan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2008, 03:35:24 pm »

Is it my imagination, or has there been a remarkable FPS increase in the Mac version?  My old, badly-designed, cat-ridden fortress was crawling along in the previous version and is now remarkably sprightly.
It's a lot faster for me as well, and I run Vista. It feels really smooth compared to previous version, so whatever caused that I'm happy for it.

Frobozz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2008, 04:00:57 pm »

From the way it behaves, which is obvious when I minimize and then restore the window and do stuff, I'm assuming he's updating only parts of the screen that need updating. I wouldn't have thought it would have sped things up that much seeing that he's not really rendering that much. I guess his renderer is just horribly inefficient. I do hope he replaces his with the one Baughn has made since that will speed up rendering considerably.

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2008, 04:20:46 pm »

Any improvement is a good improvement! Anyway, got to download the latest version - just got home from work and all....happy days and jubilation!

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2008, 04:24:05 pm »

Can you update from 39f by pasting just the init and the .exe or do you have to start over completely from scratch?

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2008, 04:48:30 pm »

Can you update from 39f by pasting just the init and the .exe or do you have to start over completely from scratch?
You can never update by putting the new stuff in the old folder.
Never.
You can put your old saves in the new version, but you cannot, under any circumstances, put the new version over the old version.
It just causes all sorts of wonkiness.
I've got nothing on plant/animal reactions anymore.
The old method using the materials with numbers from the item tokens wiki page no longer works.
Just using the animal/plant in the matgloss section didn't work either.
Gah, Toady, we need documentation.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 05:01:13 pm by jaybud4 »

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2008, 05:25:13 pm »

Aww, I was getting use to this fortress.

Oh well!

Gotta get with the times.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

jockmo42

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2008, 05:34:05 pm »

Wonderful. I've been waiting for the bin fix and the forbidding items stuff. This is excellent. I love small releases that fix major problems.  ;D

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2008, 05:44:01 pm »

Oh well!

You keep your save in new versions, you know.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2008, 05:47:27 pm »

Oh well!

You can never update by putting the new stuff in the old folder.
Never.
You can put your old saves in the new version, but you cannot, under any circumstances, put the new version over the old version.
It just causes all sorts of wonkiness.
I've got nothing on plant/animal reactions anymore.
The old method using the materials with numbers from the item tokens wiki page no longer works.
Just using the animal/plant in the matgloss section didn't work either.
Gah, Toady, we need documentation.
Oy.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2008, 06:00:37 pm »

It's a lot faster for me as well, and I run Vista. It feels really smooth compared to previous version, so whatever caused that I'm happy for it.
I'm running it at work on a core2 with 1.8 per processor, or so, on XP and I've also noticed a speedup on my 150+ dwarf fortress. It's going somewhat steady at 28-30 fps... version 39e, with the same saved game, is giving me 15-16 fps on average. I haven't used any of the custom viewport size. Even the goblins seem happy, they just started sieging me as soon as I started posting this.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2008, 06:31:27 pm »

I've notices that using k to look at things causes problems with rendering. You know how the cursor is a yellow X? And when an object moves, it's not so much moving as the graphics being painted in a new position and the oild graphic destroyed? It seems it won't destroy the old graphic, leaving a trail of yellow X's that disappear when you exit look mode.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2008, 06:32:43 pm »

We can keep track of the display issues over here.  I'm not having any of them, so it's not going to be a straightforward one day fix this time, aside from placing the new display changes as an init option and hoping that clears things up.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 06:34:52 pm by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4