Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: 40a display update issues  (Read 7920 times)

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
40a display update issues
« on: August 18, 2008, 10:53:10 am »

This is the first release with the "dirty rectangle" code, so there are some cases where screen refreshes aren't handled properly.

The first one I notice is minimizing and restoring the screen.  That wipes it clear, you can get everything by pressing "?" "Space Bar".  The second I've noticed is in mining designations in new areas.  The yellow "X" won't clear off the unmined areas while moving it around.

Add yours here as you find them

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: 40a display update issues
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 01:11:16 pm »

When I tried fullscreen, at 1680x1050 with 104x65 grid, curses_square_16x16.bmp and [BLACK_SPACE:YES], the following issues arose:

1) On the embark screens, text appeared a little stretched, withouut black space at the edges; however, this could just be my inexperience with the 16x16 bitmap and not NOTICING enough black space...

2)...however, a more serious issue happened when I tried to alt-tab out of fullscreen. It did not draw the screen for another window, but kept Dwarf Fortress covering the whole screen, and I could neither see other windows nor interact with Dwarf Fortress. I tried to tab back into DF, but it would not re-focus on it. Most serious of all, I tried Ctrl-Alt-Del to try to bring up the Task Manager, and even that failed to display; I was forced to do a hard reset since I could neither regain control of Dwarf Fortress nor end it. There did appear to be some interactions in the background; every press of Ctrl-Alt-Del yielded a momentary hourglass on the cursor (which appeared when I first tabbed out). I am not 100% familiar with the Task Manager behavior of Windows XP, since I was used to Windows 2000 for more than a year when I switched to XP, so I would have not been able to End Task on Dwarf Fortress blind like that.

The issues all happened in the embark screen, specifically when trying to use the add-new-item menu. Specifically, I was trying to tab into the wiki because I'd forgotten whether bituminous coal or lignite yielded more fuel, having browsed into the stone menu after +ing my way to hundreds of tower-cap logs.
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Geekman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 03:29:21 pm »

i have a strange problem in full screen (and only full screen ) :

it looks like i'm seeing three or four frames at once and it flicker like crazy.
 ( X2 4400+ geforce 6800 GS drivers 6.14.11.6921 XP )

alphafalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My way to get completely rid of flicker
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 04:15:57 pm »

I've found a way to get the flicker after alt-tabbing out of fullscreen df.
After I alt-tab back to DF everything is flickering.
Then I hold down Alt, tap TAB once to open the alt-tab menu thing.
without releasing alt, hit esc to dismiss the alt-tab popup.
now only the area where the popup was is still flickering.
but after scrolling around a bit even that is gone.
Please try and see if it works for you.

btw, huuuuge speed increase (30 FPS ->100 FPS) with this release... DF on steroids, cant wait to see it on my desktop pc ;D
(@laptop right now)
Urist cancels write signature: Interrupted by DF Release

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: My way to get completely rid of flicker
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 04:51:53 pm »

btw, huuuuge speed increase (30 FPS ->100 FPS) with this release... DF on steroids, cant wait to see it on my desktop pc ;D
(@laptop right now)

Actually I think you see 100 FPS now, because there was some glitch in the old version. Youve seen G_FPS and not the actual FPS, now you see your real FPS. So I guess you have 30 G_FPS and FPS CAP 100.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 05:04:26 pm »

it looks like i'm seeing three or four frames at once and it flicker like crazy.

Same problem here. The alt-tabbing thing didn't work for me. Someone should probably tell epileptics to not play 40a in fullscreen.

EDIT: Looks like it has something to do with 800x600 as my windowed mode did a similar thing using
Code: [Select]
[WINDOWEDX:800]
[WINDOWEDY:600]
[FONT:curses_800x600.bmp]

This one only had flickering on the top and bottom, while the middle was using the default windowed size and proportions.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 05:08:27 pm by Neoskel »
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

alphafalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 05:23:08 pm »

Tormy:
I'm talking real FPS, I'm aware of the FPS-Meter-Bug.
But dwarves taking half a step in a second or 5 IS a difference ;)

@Topic:
Im using

[FULLSCREENX:1280]
[FULLSCREENY:800]
[FULLFONT:curses_640x300.bmp]
[GRID:160:66]
[BLACK_SPACE:YES]
[VSYNC:OFF]

on a
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2400
Urist cancels write signature: Interrupted by DF Release

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 06:30:45 pm »

I'm not getting any of them.  The mining cursor, movies, different resolutions, minimization, and alt+tab vs. fullscreen are all working fine.  It's either something else that I did, or trying to handle partial screen updates just isn't going to work for everyone the way I've got it set up.  I don't know enough about this stuff, so I'll just leave it as an init option for next time, defaulted to OFF, and hope that at least resolves the matters people are having, though your FPS trouble will come back if you were having that trouble and any of these issues and need to keep the option off.

I'll probably put up a new Kobold Quest with all of the new changes and we can go from there, though it'll take a little while since I have to move over things like creature tile support for KQ so that any OpenGL changes people propose are relevant for DF.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 07:43:08 pm »

I'm not getting this problem.  This is my comp spec
Athlon 64 3700+
DirectX 9.0c
64-bit XP service pack 2
nVidia Geforce 6800 GS
Driver: 6.14.11.6921

Okay.. this is weird.
The only different I see is that you got a different CPU from mine...
Are you using directx 10 on vista?

If it is, we can blame it on directx or just vista
[EDIT]
Oh, full screen...
Just checked, my full-screen is also working (including the world gen and such).
[EDIT2]
Ah, XP...
man, my brain is being gassy today...
I think the only difference now is in the CPU (are you running 64-bit XP or 32-bit?) and maybe directx.
[EDIT3]
Okay, further testing indicate that minimizing DF then bringing it back up will cause un-updated characters to not display (bring another windows in front of it doesn't seems to effect it in any way).

I'm not getting any of them.  The mining cursor, movies, different resolutions, minimization, and alt+tab vs. fullscreen are all working fine.  It's either something else that I did, or trying to handle partial screen updates just isn't going to work for everyone the way I've got it set up.  I don't know enough about this stuff, so I'll just leave it as an init option for next time, defaulted to OFF, and hope that at least resolves the matters people are having, though your FPS trouble will come back if you were having that trouble and any of these issues and need to keep the option off.

I'll probably put up a new Kobold Quest with all of the new changes and we can go from there, though it'll take a little while since I have to move over things like creature tile support for KQ so that any OpenGL changes people propose are relevant for DF.

It looks like the partial screen update didn't update the screen under certain conditions (minimizing/maximizing).
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 08:24:05 pm by sweitx »
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

VPellen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 09:21:13 pm »

I think this is the first time I've ever registered on a forum for the specific purpose of helping with bugs..

Here's a screenshot of the "Yellow X" problem:

When you drag the yellow X (such as when you're looking at stuff) around over empty tiles, it leaves an afterimage.

I see what's trying to happen, and the problem is pretty simple: The graphics don't update unless they have to. This is actually really great, and it'd work perfectly in most situations. When you move the cursor off of an occupied tile, it replaces that tile with whatever is underneath it. No problems! Seamless. The issue comes when you move off an unoccupied tile. This causes one of two things to happen (although I'm not sure which because I don't have access to the source):

A: The tile IS being updated, but it's being updated with a fully masked (see: transparent) tile.
B: The tile isn't being updated, because the code figures "Hey, there's nothing there, no reason to update the tile."

I don't know much about the other bug because I haven't actually encountered it yet, but I'll take a look and see if I can figure out what's going on.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 09:28:46 pm »

I understand the yellow X problem as it's described, but like I said, it's not happening here, because the black spaces are being printed for me.  The difference is going to come down to some weird video thing that I don't understand based on how some version of windows or some card or some other setting decides not to refresh or doesn't page flip the same way mine does, and I don't have an easy way of figuring out what the problem is.  My only idea was to turn partial refreshes off in an init option and update the KQ display code so that somebody else can look at it if they want to.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

VPellen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 09:42:10 pm »

it's not happening here, because the black spaces are being printed for me.

Somehow I doubt that.

As an experiment, I replaced all of DF's black-space characters with random symbols. Here's the result.

There are no tiles being drawn. Nothing is being drawn on those spaces.

dwarfed one

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 09:58:34 pm »

For me this problem even worse. In start game menu I can see part of movie, menu itself, aborted game generation. Pity, I couldn't capture it all on screen as it flickering as mad. It seems, it keep some buffer for every video sequence.

This bug present also in the game itself. I can see game screen with dwarfs, embark message, minimap and right ingame menu on top of it all at same time. As I try to capture it, only got cursor, dwarfs or any other refreshing symbols.

Every layer going active in rounds. For example, embark text flashing bright once in second and gray all the other time.

P.S. Only in fullscreen mode!

« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 10:43:49 pm by dwarfed one »

Griz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 12:34:40 am »

I noticed that the x only gets stuck on the black spaces - any visible tile or any of the random-character tiles in the obscured area will clear out properly.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 12:55:18 am »

Really big problem here - it looks like it's trying to double/triple buffer when the program is actually only updating one buffer.  Probably because my graphics card drivers doesn't even support single buffering, and automatically forces double buffering.  You laptop probably works fine because some old integrated graphics chipsets don't actually do double buffering in ogl properly, and so you see just the updated buffer.  In any case, single buffering is heavily deprecated, so you'll need to render to an offscreen buffer, then copy it to the backbuffer each frame in order for it to run properly on newer hardware.
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4