Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40a] Bizarre Goat Behavior during Attempted Genocide  (Read 1473 times)

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40a] Bizarre Goat Behavior during Attempted Genocide
« on: August 20, 2008, 01:02:17 pm »

Pretty self explanatory, right?

I was trying to see if killing off the dwarves in adventure mode would result in the same situation as if they died off during worldgen- a fortress with no diplomatic contacts or immigrants- but it was taking me a while. There was only one mountain fortress, but it held 108 dwarves, and about a third of them knew how to use crossbows.

My strategy was to send in a dwarven adventurer with maxed out spear skills, stab a crossbowdwarf in the head, die in a hail of boltfire, and repeat.

About 20 or so adventurers in I began to notice something odd- there were a lot of combat reports involving goats mauling children. I thought this was unusual, but not that unlikely, until one of my adventurers spawned pretty far away from the fortress in the middle of a herd goats that stretched as far as the eye could see.

I also began to notice that with each subsequent adventurer the map took longer and longer to load- I thought this had been because of the increasing quantities of gear strewn about but far more likely it has something to do with the exponential increase in goats each time I visit.

Currently it takes about five minutes to load, and generates about a page of combat reports each step I take.

So basically, repeatedly setting out with an adventurer does something weird to the wildlife. Like it generates the usual five goats each time but saves all the old ones or something. (There were armies of Hoary Marmots too, but not anywhere near as many as there were goats.)

And while you're here, are dwarves whose civilization was wiped out in world gen really not supposed to have any diplomacy? I didn't get any human merchants or even kobold thieves in the several years that I played.

Psitticine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40a] Bizarre Goat Behavior during Attempted Genocide
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 01:50:20 pm »

One of my favorite things about this game is that not only will you come across posts with titles like this, but that they are also completely accurate and concise descriptions of in-game events.  :D

RPharazon

• Bay Watcher
  • [SEVERONBREAKS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 02:12:25 pm »

I got the same thing after genociding the humans. I went back to the main dwarven mountainhome to retire, and ended up on the other side of a chasm.

The chasm apparently spewed out /hundreds/ of creatures. I couldn't take a step without going through 3 pages of combat reports.

It was the most awesome thing I have ever seen in my DF career, but I never saw it to its end. It was only after finding about 40 ratmen, naked mole dogs, and gremlins in the middle of the inside of the fortress that I retired.

It was awesome.
<Zaratustra> DF -is- a complex version of the sims
<Zaratustra> except instead of purchasing new sofas
<Zaratustra> you die

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 06:01:18 pm »

And while you're here, are dwarves whose civilization was wiped out in world gen really not supposed to have any diplomacy? I didn't get any human merchants or even kobold thieves in the several years that I played.

It's much worse when your dwarves get wiped out during world gen and you're left with 7 dwarves and no migrants, nobles, or dwarven caravan, ever.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 07:04:25 pm »

I'll note down the animal accumulation problem.

On the diplomacy, yeah, the diplomacy states are probably deleted when the civ dies, though I haven't looked it.  There are several ways it could handle selecting a dead civ, but it doesn't really do anything to cover it right now.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Mustachio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 08:38:03 am »

i noticed the same thing. i drowned trying to loot my fortress, came back, got killed by a large group of batmen and such, came back, died again, again...not sure how many times, but each time the game seemed to have generated new monsters along side the old.
on a seperate occasion this happened with cave spiders... :'(