Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Halo 3 or DF 3d?  (Read 1642 times)

Pizzasgood

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com
Re: Halo 3 or DF 3d?
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2007, 11:37:00 pm »

I liked Halo 2, but on the other hand,
A:  I don't own it, so I've only played occasionally when brother's friend brought it over
B:  Never touched story mode
C:  Have hardly played any FPS games, so about all I can compare it to are my brother's 007 games.  It's better in terms of multiplayer (probably not in terms of story).

I'd rather have DF, even if Halo 3 was free.  Partly because I don't suck at it as much as with FPS games  :D  And the ascii is pretty retro.  Besides, Halo is way too cliche at my university.

f possession is nine tenths of the law, my dwarves must be lawyers.

Sub-Actuality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2007, 11:56:00 pm »

Dwarf Fortress, absolutely Dwarf Fortress.  Even if Halo 3 were free.  And came with a $100 bill.
nib Kadolmonom, Philosopher, cancels Introspection: misplaced id.

Sylverone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://sylverone.deviantart.com
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2007, 12:26:00 am »

Is there a place in the wiki where forum quotes are stored? If not, I suggest one be made, because there are multiple quotes in this thread that could be used for the purpose of advertising DF... such as...

Quote from: DF fans
Dwarf Fortress, absolutely Dwarf Fortress. Even if Halo 3 were free. And came with a $100 bill.
I'd rather have DF, even if Halo 3 was free.
Mediocre console first person shooter with a cheesy cliché storyline? yawn. I can't for the life of me figure out why fanboys are so crazy about it[Halo 3].

So dwarf fortress 3d it is.
Haha, I just remembered... Last week, a friend of mine was all like "Oh come on, lets play some Civilization 4 over the internet", and I was "No way, I'm playing DF, it's much better. More fun even".
I played Halo 1 for a while when it was released.. I would rather play DF 3d i think before playing halo 3
Whichever I choose[Dwarf Fortress or Halo 3], I am guessing this will not be a productive week.

I mean, check out these stats!:
In the posts up to this point seven people have said that Dwarf Fortress wins out, and only one game any indication that their interest in Halo 3 might rival their interest in DF (and that's only until the hype dies down)!

DF: 7*     Halo 3: 1*          XD

*These numbers correspond to the amount of interest in each game so far.

My personal opinion: When you play Halo, it's the same game each time you play through; with Dwarf Fortress, it isn't. Which one do you think would hold my attention longer? (Of course that's assuming I was a Halo player to begin with, but alas...)

Jusal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2007, 01:49:00 am »

This is one strange question indeed.

Fortunately it is easy to answer: Dwarf Fortress.

4bh0r53n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?c=1&mforum=abhorsengames
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2007, 03:37:00 pm »

quote:
Dwarf Fortress, absolutely Dwarf Fortress. Even if Halo 3 were free. And came with a $100 bill.

i have to disagree here, i could take the $100 bill and then donate half to Toady, then get DF

.B.H.O.R.S.E.N.: Abhorrent, Bloodthirsty, Hitchhiker-Obliterating Ravager from the Sunless Enchanted Necropolis

I dont explode Cats, its way to hard to coax them into the microwave...

LSTAR

• Bay Watcher
  • Has Sprung From Ambush!
    • View Profile
    • Second Hand News
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2007, 04:01:00 pm »

Of course, my vote is with DF all the way, but it's only natural that most folks in this thread would say DF. This is the DF forum after all   :)
Start a thread like this on the Bungie site and I predict lots of,

quote:
"LOL! WTF IS THIS!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? WERE ARE THE GRAPHICs? HALO FTW!11!!!!

In any case, I'm going to have endless fun playing Dwarf Fortress... but equally great amounts of fun pointing out ways in which Halo 3 sucks and watching my 360-owning cohorts stewing in their own hype-induced juices   :)

"Slaves to Ciko Suppermuffin: Goddess of Food."

The man, the blog, the manblog.

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2007, 04:19:00 pm »

To be honest, I really don't like shooters. Especially ones that focus on multiplayer, like Halo. Get one with good atmosphere, a creative storyline, and fascinating creatures - then I'll enjoy it. I loved Half-Life (1&2), System Shock 2, STALKER, Prey, and DOOM 3, for isntance, because they felt like actual worlds where scary sh** was happening and your character just had to roll with the punches and figure out what the hell to do. Of course, after you finish you realize they were cliched and linear, but it's all about the experience. No replayablity whatsoever.

But mulitplayer ones, like Quake 3, Tribes, Halo, and Battlefield? I have zero interest. I like exploring a universe that an artist has created for my enjoyment - not fragging idiots.

DF wins because of depth and replayability. And soon we'll have random maps, which will make it truly infinitely replayable (I'm a bit sick of water-chasm-lava-DEATH).

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2007, 03:41:00 am »

Can't say that Prey or Doom 3 were anything spectacular to be honest. More like the opposite. The rest were good on the other hand.

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2007, 06:38:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by BurnedToast:
<STRONG>final fantasy series overrated.</STRONG>

Final Fantasy is fun.

Also, DF is fun and Halo isn't.

But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2007, 08:31:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Skyrage:
<STRONG>Can't say that Prey or Doom 3 were anything spectacular to be honest. More like the opposite. The rest were good on the other hand.</STRONG>

I liked Prey because of the fun with portals and gravity. It was also interesting to be able to astrally project out of your body, solve puzzles in otherwise inaccessable locations, and then return. That was a new thing for me.

DOOM3, I thought it was fun exploring the complex, reading audio logs, and piecing together the series of events that led up to the disaster. It also got an A+ for atmosphere... none of the monsters are really that tough (until you visit Hell), but you're still freaked out every single second you play, worried that something is hiding in the shadows or creeping up behind you. I could only play in 15 minute spurts, and my wife had trouble playing at all. I have to admit that being paranoid and scared gets kind of old after the first few hours of play, but there was enough story to keep me going even after that.

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2007, 09:27:00 am »

DOOM 3 felt DOOM 1 all over again but with more advanced graphics and set in completely dark environment. I remember asking myself if, in the future, humanity loses the ability to produce portable light sources. It also had some weak ripoffs of games with atmosphere, but on the whole, it was fun for ten minutes.

Prey was interesting, what with the gravity and portals. The indian theme got too much pretty fast though. On the whole I felt the same about that as with STALKER. Interesting engine, when will they write a game for it?

STALKER, by the way, had an amazing engine. I wish more shooters would dare put in realistic weapons. I guess they're afraid the CS kids won't play them then, but that's kinda what I'm hoping for.   :p

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Necro

• Bay Watcher
  • ...trunk with her iron battlaxe, bruising the fat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2007, 07:28:00 am »

I just completed the Halo 3 campaign.
It left me with a feeling of disappointment only new version of DF can fix.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2007, 01:48:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Name Lips:
<STRONG>
DOOM3, I thought it was fun exploring the complex, reading audio logs, and piecing together the series of events that led up to the disaster. It also got an A+ for atmosphere... none of the monsters are really that tough (until you visit Hell), but you're still freaked out every single second you play, worried that something is hiding in the shadows or creeping up behind you. I could only play in 15 minute spurts, and my wife had trouble playing at all. I have to admit that being paranoid and scared gets kind of old after the first few hours of play, but there was enough story to keep me going even after that.</STRONG>

I was freaked out by doom 3 for about 5 minutes. Then I realized every time you pick up any armor or ammo or anything it triggered a monster ambush and it became alot less scary. Then I realized most of the monster ambushes came from hidden, otherwise empty square rooms and it became laughable. After you get the shotgun it's not even a shred scary, because you kill almost everything in 1 hit.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Bien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2007, 04:18:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Asehujiko:
<STRONG>DF no doubt, my computer can't run halo anyway.</STRONG>

My computer can rn Halo and DF, guess I'm lucky

Bien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2007, 04:23:00 pm »

I like Halo (and I'm planning to get Halo 2) and DF, so maybe I could introduce Halo to DF and make a Halo ASCII mod.
Pages: 1 [2] 3