Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.28.181.40c Released  (Read 53660 times)

evktalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.28.181.40c Released
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2008, 11:07:47 am »

I have a flickering problem in 40c with partial print on. It seems it displays the previous frame and the current frame back and forth. For instance, if you press select another menu option in the start screen, the highlight flickers between two options. Same flickering between, say, the main game view and pressing 'a', 'u' or 'esc'. Turning off partial print makes the game work fine. I did not have this problem in 40a. edit: I tried setting the triple buffering off on my graphics driver, and changing the partial print number between 0-4. No help.

Edit2: I suspect that I had the potential two-wagons-tops traders realizing earlier today.. thanks for fixing that, my fortress needs it imported lumber. :)

--Eino
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 11:09:46 am by evktalo »

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.28.181.40b Released
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2008, 11:08:25 am »

Third post.

:D I love your sense of humor.

Thanks for the release!

Javewa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2008, 11:10:16 am »

Coffee is good for the toad!

Send him more! [/MANDATE]

Star Weaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2008, 11:40:07 am »

O_o Three version upgrades during the time it took me to personally massage the community modbase pack into place. (It started out with adding a few tweaks to megas for worldgen and now I have dragons that are megabeasts AND semimegabeasts and have kids and produce milk and are playable ... ^_-).

Hey, if you're looking for more things to add to the init file, how about a starting window position offset? Having it appear at 0,0 all the time is annoying when my taskbar at the top of the screen and the titlebar is completely under it. ^_^

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2008, 11:43:53 am »

I have a flickering problem in 40c with partial print on. It seems it displays the previous frame and the current frame back and forth. For instance, if you press select another menu option in the start screen, the highlight flickers between two options. Same flickering between, say, the main game view and pressing 'a', 'u' or 'esc'. Turning off partial print makes the game work fine. I did not have this problem in 40a. edit: I tried setting the triple buffering off on my graphics driver, and changing the partial print number between 0-4. No help.

Even with the number set at 4 (or 100) it still flashes between them?  That's really weird, since it's forcing a print for an entire second or two (depending on gfps) at a hundred and should be hitting whatever buffer cares to be around by then.  The number at 1+ should mimic the 40a behavior, but I guess there must be a difference somewhere.  Everything I do seems to cut somebody out and bring somebody in, so I think we'll have to wait for some of the changes people have been working on to come to fruition (which basically involves me getting to my email more than I've been able to the last few days...)  The partial print option probably isn't going to work for everybody, so it'll take faster OpenGL code.  Vista and/or nVidia seem to be crapping out here, since my middling ATI card can run the code without a problem, but that doesn't mean we can't just use faster code to pick up the slack where they seem to be goofing off these days.  Is this some kind of DIRECTX CONSPIRACY?!  Anyway, made it to the bank, the door was locked so I ended up talking to a guy that handles the business end of pearl farming who used to run a hotel in China.  The bank eventually opened.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 11:45:55 am by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

dyze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2008, 11:49:34 am »

Hey, if you're looking for more things to add to the init file, how about a starting window position offset? Having it appear at 0,0 all the time is annoying when my taskbar at the top of the screen and the titlebar is completely under it. ^_^

uh, hide the taskbar or move the window?

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2008, 12:01:40 pm »

I ended up talking to a guy that handles the business end of pearl farming who used to run a hotel in China.

Has dwarven pearl diving made it onto the to-do list then? :)

evktalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2008, 12:02:30 pm »

Even with the number set at 4 (or 100) it still flashes between them?

100 actually worked, and 11 seems to be the lowest number that works without any flickering. It's faster than turning the partial printing off. Thanks! I should've been more bold with the numbers. :)

--Eino

avari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2008, 12:07:28 pm »

I too get flickering in 40c with PARTIAL_PRINT=YES. In 40a there was no problem. The number setting seems to have a major effect.

With the default setting of 2, already the starting menu highlights flicker, and when playing all the menus and the game view immediately start flickering and displaying on top of each other, similarly as described by Eino above. With setting of 4, the start menu doesn't flicker but game menus etc. start flickering after some time. With setting of 8, nothing seems to flicker (or at least it takes much longer for it to start).

However as there is no flicker with PARTIAL_PRINT=NO and in my case there seems to be no discernible effect on FPS anyway (compared to 40e, with ~50 dwarfs), I think I'll settle for no partial print for now :)

I have both Vista and nVidia as outcrapping suspects by the way.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2008, 12:30:43 pm »

I ended up talking to a guy that handles the business end of pearl farming who used to run a hotel in China.

Has dwarven pearl diving made it onto the to-do list then? :)

Somebody has to do it some time...  the animals are in, the material is in, but there's no actual gathering.  China is also a PowerGoal via Romance of the Three Kingdoms, which my brother has read intermittently.

Even with the number set at 4 (or 100) it still flashes between them?

100 actually worked, and 11 seems to be the lowest number that works without any flickering. It's faster than turning the partial printing off. Thanks! I should've been more bold with the numbers. :)

I'm glad something worked!  Hopefully the (vaguely) upcoming stuff will eliminate the need to mess around with this sort of thing.

I too get flickering in 40c with PARTIAL_PRINT=YES. In 40a there was no problem. The number setting seems to have a major effect.

With the default setting of 2, already the starting menu highlights flicker, and when playing all the menus and the game view immediately start flickering and displaying on top of each other, similarly as described by Eino above. With setting of 4, the start menu doesn't flicker but game menus etc. start flickering after some time. With setting of 8, nothing seems to flicker (or at least it takes much longer for it to start).

However as there is no flicker with PARTIAL_PRINT=NO and in my case there seems to be no discernible effect on FPS anyway (compared to 40e, with ~50 dwarfs), I think I'll settle for no partial print for now :)

I have both Vista and nVidia as outcrapping suspects by the way.

Yeah, I've never had speed problems from the render (I can run a 200x150 grid with no lag, but I'm the primary machine being optimized for, so it's not really a surprise).  At the same time, some modern computers are choking on the title screen, so it'll have to be dealt with.  I was hoping to catch a few with the partial print, but the modern computers are apparently also the ones that partial print (the way I do it) is least likely to work for.  It should all sort itself over time though.  At least this version seems to be not as horrible as 40b, so I might be able to enter the end of the month without feeling pulled back to it.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2008, 12:50:52 pm »

40c with [PARTIAL_PRINT:YES:2] works fine for me with WinXP SP3 and an Nvidia Geforce 9800 GTX, no flickering or artifacting or any such.
Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2008, 01:37:37 pm »

40c with [PARTIAL_PRINT:YES:2] works fine for me with WinXP SP3 and an Nvidia Geforce 9800 GTX, no flickering or artifacting or any such.

Same here on WinXP SP2 ATI 1900XT...good work, Toady!
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

virus_found

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2008, 01:57:05 pm »

I'm quite new to the game and forums, so hello there everybody :)
I did a little testing about that flickering issue

I made a clear install of the 40c release
in init.txt we see:

Code: [Select]
[WINDOWED:PROMPT]
[FULLSCREENX:800]
[FULLSCREENY:600]
[FULLFONT:curses_800x600.bmp]
[BLACK_SPACE:NO]

[FULLGRID:80:25]

[PARTIAL_PRINT:NO:2]

game runs ok
alt-tab doesn't render it flickerable

I change them this way:

[WINDOWED:PROMPT] --> [WINDOWED:NO]
[PARTIAL_PRINT:NO:2] --> [PARTIAL_PRINT:YES:whatever]

game runs ok

then I do the testing in a "graphic mode", initially we have these options:

[GRAPHICS:NO]
[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENX:1280]
[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENY:800]
[GRAPHICS_FULLFONT:curses_square_16x16.bmp]
[GRAPHICS_BLACK_SPACE:YES]

[FULLGRID:80:25]

[PARTIAL_PRINT:NO:2]

game runs ok

I change them this way:

[GRAPHICS:NO] --> [GRAPHICS:YES]
[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENY:800] --> [GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENY:960]
[FULLGRID:80:25] --> [FULLGRID:80:60]
[PARTIAL_PRINT:NO:2] --> [PARTIAL_PRINT:YES:whatever]

game runs ok
alt-tab does render it flickerable

then I tested it with another charset (8x8) with the same grid but resolution being changed from 1280x960 to 640x480
results were the same :(
I hope that helps anyhow

EDIT>
tested on winxp sp2 and ati radeon 9600pro with catalyst 6.3 (official drivers from march 2006)
sorry for my poor english and such a huge post
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 02:03:50 pm by virus_found »

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2008, 02:33:49 pm »

Hail the Great Toady One!

Anfold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2008, 02:42:43 pm »

Possible work around for flickering:
Turn your GFPS back up to 50.  In 40a I had it set to 24, no flickering.  In 40c, turning it back up to 50 with[PARTIAL_PRINT:YES:2] elliminated all flickering problems.  As (for me at least) partial_print>GFPS on framerates, its the better solution.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 03:33:32 pm by Anfold »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9