Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.28.181.40c Released  (Read 53661 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.28.181.40c Released
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2008, 02:55:04 pm »

Possible work around to flickering:
Turn your GFPS back up to 50.  In 40a I had it set to 24, no flickering.  In 40c, turning it back up to 50 with[PARTIAL_PRINT:YES:2] elliminated all flickering problems.  As (for me at least) partial_print>GFPS on framerates, its the better solution.

Yeah, this might even depend on the screen, since I'm undergoing some conversions for other interface stuff and most are one way and a few are the other.  It's going to be a mess for a while, but hopefully people can find settings that work out for them for the most part, and we can get the other code in soonish.

--

I'll take look at that graphics flickering in a bit (maybe not for a while though since I should probably be asleep), though my system seems to be flicker immune (having only one buffer).  The coffee lady did say something about 4 shots though.  I usually don't drink coffee or other caffeine, so I'm probably going to be awake for a while, though half-functional.  I might as well try to get back on days for that trip I'll be taking on Sunday.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2008, 05:22:25 pm »

Beautiful. THANK YOU for fixing the export function, Toady. The speed with which you attend to bugs is astounding.  ;D

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2008, 08:09:30 pm »

the main page with the updates isn't loading properly for me, is this due to server overload?
i can't manage to click any of the mirrors because it's busy.
as far as i can tell, its trying to load something.

managed to get it to work by spamming the "stop loading" button
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 08:13:35 pm by eerr »

Terratoch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2008, 08:32:56 pm »

Not certain why but with these settings:
[WINDOWEDX:640]
[WINDOWEDY:512]
[FONT:curses_square_16x16.bmp]

[FULLSCREENX:1280]
[FULLSCREENY:1024]
[FONT:curses_square_16x16.bmp]

[BLACK_SPACE:YES]

[GRID:40:32]
[FULLGRID:80:64]

[PARTIAL_PRINT:YES:X]

Fullscreen is nothing but black. Anyone have a solution?

Edit: Nevermind its working now.  Changed to some other settings if anyone cares I will post them if not right now I'm too lazy.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 09:20:23 pm by Terratoch »
The only thing better than dining on a fine goblin is using said goblins tallow for soap to fix up my soldiers.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2008, 08:50:34 pm »

Hm, my DF seems to slow to a near stop every 10 seconds or so. I'm not quite sure what this could stem from, but it wasn't in 40a.

Moon Label

• Bay Watcher
  • Cannot write post: creature occupying site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2008, 09:08:07 pm »

Thanks for the release!
My FPS seems to have dropped drastically, though.  Rather than ~40 FPS (windowed), I get 6-10 FPS (windowed) from an out-of-the-box 40c.

The inexplicable FPS boost has been countered by an inexplicable FPS decapitation.

Halp.  :-[
Quote from: Toady One on May 10, 2007, 10:59:00 pm
I've moved out of the office and turned in my keys.

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2008, 10:22:34 pm »

Thanks for the release!
My FPS seems to have dropped drastically, though.  Rather than ~40 FPS (windowed), I get 6-10 FPS (windowed) from an out-of-the-box 40c.

The inexplicable FPS boost has been countered by an inexplicable FPS decapitation.

Halp.  :-[

In the init options:

[PARTIAL_PRINT:NO:2]

Change NO to YES and your FPS should return to what it was in the previous release. Toady made it an option for now since some people were getting display issues with the release of 'a'

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2008, 10:39:28 pm »

I usually don't drink coffee or other caffeine, so I'm probably going to be awake for a while, though half-functional.

I took you for a heavy coffee drinking guy.
I go through coffees like a hot knife through butter.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2008, 03:23:33 am »

Yeah... With the newest version, the game suddenly runs very slowly. I changed the partial_print to yes, but that didn't do very much.
"It's unpossible!"

evktalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2008, 04:44:16 am »

Possible work around for flickering:
Turn your GFPS back up to 50.  In 40a I had it set to 24, no flickering.  In 40c, turning it back up to 50 with[PARTIAL_PRINT:YES:2] elliminated all flickering problems.  As (for me at least) partial_print>GFPS on framerates, its the better solution.

Intrestingly, I have GFPS at 10, and turning partial print to eleven eliminated the flickering. Sure enough, changing them to 50 and 2 respectively introduced no flickering. 10 and 11 is faster than that for me, in any case.

--Eino

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2008, 07:44:52 am »

Hi!

Well, deleted my old version and moved to 40c. I tried the partial refresh thingy, and at first the intro and main menu had the flickering (I had set GFPS to 30). Then, I set the parameter for the partial refresh to '20' (yes, that was lazy, I know), and everything seemed alright.

But when I started world genning, I had the first notification about too many forest rejects (a screen that is becoming a bit annoying for me now, truth be told (^_^;;) - and DF decided to minimize. When I changed it back (I always play fullscreen), as was expected, the size was all messed up.

So, for the time being, I will try without that refresh option (currently I am generating some worlds for adventure mode experiments, so my private computer will be busy for a few hours :) :) ).

Anyhow, I want to say thanks again for bringing this great game to us and making so great an effort in general on our behalf. Enjoy your trip (I hope it is kind of a vacation for you).

(Personally, I am quite glad that there will be no new versions the next few days; I really want to get down to playing the game a while to see how all the new features actually affect game play).

Deathworks

DwarfMan69

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatred, darkness, and Despair
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2008, 12:29:27 pm »

Suprise me when I return from vacation in a week Toady.

SheepishOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2008, 01:59:39 pm »

I was bit freaked out when I started this version. I've put my DF into a "widescreen" kinda view with extra grid that makes it look real sexy, your latest tweaks to the system might've screwed it up, amiright? I am wrong! Still looks great, and so far no flickering (which wasn't a huge inconvenience for me, but I do love playing in windowed). The game runs a little slower, but at least now we have the option to optimize game speed with graphics. Go go customization! :D
You're flocked if you do and flocked if ya don't.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2008, 02:52:39 pm »

I really like being able to adjust the display size, and find the partial print to work quite nicely.  I have a very old system so I can do the partial with a setting of 1 and get no flickering.

My immediate findings are that adjusting the grid size larger causes a small reduction in speed.  That is total expectable and quite right for a system such as mine.  What was most unexpected is that the FPS drop from 450 at the main menu to 380 at the load selection menu.  That particular view is doing something it shouldn't be doing.  I also see the same speed range for things like the units list, fortress wealth, stocks, etc.  For those views the lower speed number makes slightly more sense as I now actually have my fortress loaded into memory.

The main thing partial print did for me was boost the speed when paused.  This has vastly improved keyboard responsiveness while doing everything, and I love it.  Keep up the good work.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2008, 07:40:02 pm »

Is the display code going to be released to KQ before you take off?

If so, we might all be able to fix it for our machines and produce appropriate patches while you're off making stone short swords for your barbequeue at the zoo, or whatever your trip is.  Enjoy the vacation!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9