Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: Dwarven Madmen- Sucsession Contest  (Read 25948 times)

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Madmen- Sucsession Contest
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2008, 03:20:23 pm »

No reports in any shape or form?

It's the quiet ones you have to be wary of...  :P
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2008, 04:09:21 pm »

Hi all
automn is complet:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=485
first of all soon when i began traders arrived. ok so let's see what have i like crafts, ah yes nothin ... so the woodworcar begun to make stone mugs. with this i bougth some basics (one gem two type of threads for cloth, iron ore a nice cage and lather) so we can pass througth moods if needed.
later wome migrantes arrived a good group:
two clothier one lather worker a potash maker a wood burner and a jeweler i think so the madmen think is alredy in the game :D and i conducted some securised magma to our fortress and put some notes around the fortress so my succesor please read them (ok there are some others notes too it is good to ride ...)
no nice descripton now ... i haven't been enspired maybe an other time with more events ... ;)
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

kurisukun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2008, 06:07:58 pm »

Hrm...  Looks... interesting.  Got magma already too...  Hrmm...  hrmm indeed....

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2008, 09:19:39 pm »

OK, i just got a hold of the file. I'll check back in when i'm done with winter. Could take a couple days since i have school tomorrow and might not be able to finish tonight.

Edit: One season is surprisingly short.

Heres the file:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=487

I noticed no one did anything about the vermin problem, so i set the wood burner to catch rats. I put the rats in a cage next to the dining room so that hungry dwarves can grab one when they feel peckish. Funnily enough the first dwrf i observed doing so was the one who detested rats. Thats one way to overcome one's fear i guess. If you ever see rats or the like in the food stockpile, set a 'capture live land animal' job at the kennel and the wood burner should run over and trap it. Then put the vermin in the cage next to the dining room. I built two animal traps for the event of multiple vermin being present.

I changed the furniture stockpile to not accept barrels (and buckets), and set the food stockpile to accept barrels. I'm also disappointed with the location of the bone/shell stockpile, but i didn't do anything with it.

I smoothed out the dining area and added in two +statues+ which bumped it up to decent and then fine room quality. I dug out and smoothed out a 'lobby' above and below 3 levels of bedrooms which i also dug out, but decided against smoothing. I moved the beds in the current bedrooms so that theres room for a cabinet or something behind the beds, as someone else obviously intended.

I moved the meeting area to the upper 'lobby' and installed four -statues- which i designated a statue garden. Another leftover two -statues- went in the lower lobby.

I changed the format of the workshop areas a little to better contain crazy dwarves in the future, just in case.

I built a magma smelter to plug up the magma hole, and dug out a space for a magma forge right next to it. I floored over the unneeded uncovered magma, and was going to build the forge, but the season changed before i remembered to do it. Also intended to smooth out the smelter and forge rooms for uniformity in the floor.

I think we should each go another round to set things up first, just in case.

Edit: Oops, i never got around to reading Mohreb's notes.  :P
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 11:24:00 pm by Neoskel »

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2008, 12:54:25 am »

i made nice ones :P i havent even chacked if we have a cat or not :D it is hard to play when it is not our habituel settings .... and it is true that one season is short ... i think none of us wanted to make some things when it wasent his turn ... :D
just like a side not: please keep some trade goods for the next seasons ... it can be handy;)
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2008, 02:52:05 am »

i made nice ones :P i havent even chacked if we have a cat or not :D it is hard to play when it is not our habituel settings .... and it is true that one season is short ... i think none of us wanted to make some things when it wasent his turn ... :D
just like a side not: please keep some trade goods for the next seasons ... it can be handy;)

I'm kinda glad i'm on winter because of that. Only thing i would have to 'trade' is blows with goblins.

Also, i'd like to know who designed the entrance? Why is it an even number of tiles wide? And why is it more than 5 tiles wide? In fact it probably shouldn't be bigger than 3 tiles wide. Spreading traps across 8 tiles is really inefficient.

Also, theres a lot of blind spots where the tied-up dog can't guard, especially given that the dog will be at one end or the other of the chain.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2008, 03:02:29 am »

i think it should be mister spring :D but at least it is not so usual looking ... anyway you can put walls in it if you want ... we even could make a zig-zag in it .,.
Mohreb el Yasim

iluogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2008, 10:46:25 am »

it looks nice already. sorry about the fact i didn't comment or something but it took long enough to get it to the map archive and I didn't really had time to do it and I figured the map would be enough all I did was make a dining room and dig out the stockpiles and workshops and some more rooms

and are we now going to start with the projects or will we do another year?

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2008, 10:49:33 am »

Neo sugest one more year and it is him how played last time so for me it is ok one more etablishmant year (but please leave me some trade craft :D)
Mohreb el Yasim

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2008, 01:43:44 pm »

I'm playing right now. I have one question.

What happened to my poor proto-wall? Who dismantled it?
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2008, 07:42:43 pm »

I'm playing right now. I have one question.

What happened to my poor proto-wall? Who dismantled it?

Um, that would be me. It wasn't doing anything really, and walls can go up really really fast if you do things right, so i could do a complete one for you my next turn if you like.

What was it supposed to be for anyways?

Go ahead and rant about it in your next update/journal thingy as one of the other great families sabotaging you or something. Would be a good lead up to the whole madmen thing.

i think it should be mister spring :D but at least it is not so usual looking ... anyway you can put walls in it if you want ... we even could make a zig-zag in it .,.

I post from experience. ZIGZAGS ARE BAD. I tried it once and lost more dwarves than i should have because they turn the corner, and since it's such close corners they fight instead of running away.

Stupid dwarves.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 07:47:54 pm by Neoskel »

kurisukun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2008, 08:56:14 pm »

Yes, this fortress is kinda lame.  1 more year, to get things goin' smoothly.

I was wondering what the hell that wall was for...

iluogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2008, 04:22:03 am »

Boksi, how is your season coming along?

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2008, 07:31:48 am »

I'm roughly halfway through. Grrr, elves...

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2008, 11:50:26 am »

Spring is done. Grrr...

http://boksi.sitesled.com/Dwarven%20Madmen%20region.zip

Second year:

First entry: There is no substitute for hard work.
-Thomas Edison

Spring has come again, bring with it the birth of new life, the rejoicing of old life, and most importantly my rulership. There are going to be some changes. Useful dwarves go off stone detailing duty! Whats-its-name the craftsdwarf goes making mugs! Miners, dig out some space near the farms! We're expanding! We'll break into the clothes industry for additional trade goods! Clothiers, who the hell decided to dismantle my wall? Winter? Damn. Stupid little - doesn't he realize the sooner we have defenses, THE SOONER WE HAVE DEFENSES? Grrr...

Second entry: The beasts of OM NOM NOM!
Oh god, elves! The damned elves have arrived! I'll bet they won't even bring a single bit of useful material... Although I did intend to set up a clothing industry, didn't I? Hrmm... Set up a clothier's workshop! And Iden, go get ready. Grrr...

Third entry: I don't call that a hoard...
A kobold thief was spotted today. For some reason, the elves got all uppity and ran away... Deeper into the fortress. What is it with those damn hippies? Are they stoned to see the difference between a threat and an annoyance, the difference between up and down? Seems so.

Hang, on, they're going back. They returned to the trade depot. Weird. And annoying. Grrr...

Fourth entry: Parties? In MY FORTRESS?
It's more likely than you think.

Feh. Stupid lazy fat useless bums... It's only the beginning of the second year. What the hell are they celebrating? There is work to be done! Grrr...

Fifth entry: Stupid layout
Started on the drink storage area, suggested by another leader. May or may not be completed this spring. Also, for some reason I'm angry. Grrr...

Sixth entry: Elves out, dwarves in
The elves are leaving soon, and we've got a bunch of migrants. Here's the list:

1 Metal crafter
2 Gem cutters
1 Wood burner
1 Dyer
1 Bone carver
1 Weaver
1 Grower
1 Soaper
2 Woodworkers
1 Mason
1 Craftsdwarf
2 Animal Caretaker
7 Peasants
1 Child

That's a lot. And I'm going to have to assign each and every single one of them jobs(except for the child). Grrr...

Seventh entry: Military
We're going to make one. Also, the elves are finally leaving. Finally, we're setting up a glassmaking industry as well. You can never have too many industries. Wealth is always good. Except when it brings goblins. Grrr...

Eighth entry: Magma Carta
Who the hell designed the magma channeling system? It's... Ridiculous! How am I supposed to work with this? I'll have to channel down and then build over those channels!

Also, if anyone tries to remove my wall, I will personally rip that person into itsy-bitsy pieces and feed them to the elves! Grrr...

Ninth entry: Large rooms
The barracks have been excavated, albeit not built. And the drinks storage has been dug out as well. As you can clearly see, I am the superior leader here. What annoys me though is the fact we don't have any armor. No armor at all. Grrr...

Tenth entry: Over to you
And with that, my reign for this year is officially over. Grrr...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12