Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17

Author Topic: Roll To Dodge - A Crazy Forum Game  (Read 46249 times)

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Roll To Dodge - A Crazy Forum Game
« on: August 22, 2008, 10:11:28 am »

Here's an awesome forum game I got from Rickvoid!

Goal - Be clothed and not dead. Then win.

Win - Be last one alive.

The rules are simple:
1. Post ONE action.
2. I will roll my six sided die and tell you what the outcome is.
3. If by some devine fate there is something hurtling toward you, you are given one free roll to dodge the object.
4. Once you obtain heavy bleeding every turn you have with that token you will get 1 roll to see if it kills you or not.

Here is how the die rolls work out:
1- Epic failure. You actually take the exact opposite action.
2- Failure.
3- Marginal success.
4- Success.
5- Perfect success.
6- Overshot. You complete your task with to much force and cause other results along with your intended.

Example:
Starting post: You wake up on an enormous bed. There are several other people here. Your mind is hazy, and you can't remember anything about the last few days. You are extremely thirsty. You notice a single glass on a table at the far end of the room. You are unable to discern it's contents.

Player1: I crawl out of bed.
Me: Roll[2]. You flop around a little, groping several other people on the bed.

Player2: UGH! Get you hands off me! I kick Player1 in the face.
Me: Roll[6]. You seem to levitate over the bed for a few seconds, then shoot straight up towards the ceiling. You execute a perfect flip, your toes just brushing the roof, and snap one leg forward in time to connect with Player1's face. The force of your kick makes the bed explode. People go flying all over the room.

Roll to Dodge[5] for Player1. You dive perfectly out of the way of the bed pieces.
Roll to Dodge[1] for Player2. You dive straight into the path of the fly bed peices, you are impaled.

Got it?

Remember you can do almost anything, Also remember you have a 50% chance of doing it wrong. Also, if you attempt to take an action without an intermediate action (example, you try to wear a shirt you are not carrying) the action auto-fails. I may bend the rules to some posts, If you try to throw a grenade it requires the pulling of a pin I may count that as one action. You can't take the same action twice in a row, and only the first action you submit before I post the results of every bodies actions will be resolved.

Here's the starting post:

You wake up in a very cold room, you look across the room. You see nine other people (there is a player limit of 10) in the room shackled to the wall, you quickly discover you too are shackled to this cement wall. The shackles are made of metal and allow you some movement. Now with your bearings you see there is a wooden ladder in the middle of the room leading up to a large net hanging from the ceiling filled with clothes. You feel hungry and very cold.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 03:37:57 pm by Immortal »

Ryo

• Bay Watcher
  • Store item in stockpile
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy Forum Game
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 11:18:05 am »

I gnaw my own arms off in order to escape :)

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 11:36:38 am »

Just some quick advice:
- Drop the cold, hungry, tired, thirsty stuff. I found that it's hard to keep track of, and you'll have a lot of other stuff going on anyway.
- As for the clothing, make what it looks like dependent on their roll. For example, a roll of three (Partial Sucess) should either get them a shirt, or a pair of pants, or both (but a size or two too large or small), or both but dirty or shredded. A four (Success) should provide the player with fairly bland clothes, but of proper size and quantity. On a five (Perfect Success) give out something cool. Mechanical bonuses from clothes can be nice, just make sure your players never end up with more that a +/- 2 to their roll, otherwise they either die too quickly, or succeed at everything, or cause massive destruction. A six (Overshot) could cause a destruction of the clothes pile, or fling clothes around the room, or other such things.
- Going back to mechanical bonuses, you can do more with them than just adding amounts to rolls. After someone else took over the game, I had a guy who could change what he was resistant to at will. We had one guy who could channel lightning, and another fire. Just don't be afraid to take these away if the rolls call for it.
- If you are planning on killing players (inevitable, really) you ought to figure out some rules for ghosts. In my game, I tried to make them ethereal, meaning that they couldn't pick up anything material, but couldn't be harmed by that stuff either. Elemental stuff (fire, lightning, etc) could still harm them, as could anything spiritual in nature (like the sword of an Archangel, for example). Ghosts could also possess other players, or objects, things like that. Something to keep your players around even if they are dead.
- I'd say something here about the number of players, but it looks like you've already got that. You might want to post a list of all the players, their items, and intrinsic abilities at the end of each round. It helps them keep track, and it really helps you keep track.

That's really all I have for now. Players, remember that the crazier the idea seems, the better this game will be for everyone. You may want to read through at least part of this: http://www.attnam.com/viewtopic.php?t=390, to get an idea of how this works.

BTW, I think it's awesome that you used my own example in your post. It was really cool to see that. Thanks! ;D

And I totally want to play this, if you don't mind.
I gnaw on the chains in an attempt to free myself.

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 11:39:08 am »

I attempt to break the shackles off of the wall.

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 11:40:49 am »

I, too, join this game.

I attempt to reach apotheosis, godhood.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 11:48:41 am »

I, too, join this game.

I attempt to reach apotheosis, godhood.
An epic fail, right here, would be hilarious.

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 11:56:01 am »

An overshot, on the other hand, would probably make me go above godhood, maybe even...

Darth Vader.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 12:13:46 pm »

I'll join :D
I attempt to vomit live kittens onto dwarfaholic
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Tokay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 01:01:08 pm »

Ill join too
I try to squeeze my hands through the shackles.

Silu

• Bay Watcher
  • The Perfectionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 01:05:13 pm »

Using brute strenght, I rip the shackles apart.
I'm the lunatic of God's creation.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 01:20:49 pm »

I'll join :D
I attempt to vomit live kittens onto dwarfaholic

Yay! Another person who understands the game for the get-go!  ;D

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 02:37:19 pm »

I'll join.

First of all, I try to convince the shackles to understand that they are, in fact, mere figments of their own imagination and in truth they are merely delusional rocks and therefore cannot hold me, are not connected to the wall in any way at all, and are simply truly pathetic and the world would be a better place without them.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 02:48:50 pm »

I'll join.

First of all, I try to convince the shackles to understand that they are, in fact, mere figments of their own imagination and in truth they are merely delusional rocks and therefore cannot hold me, are not connected to the wall in any way at all, and are simply truly pathetic and the world would be a better place without them.
Are you trying to make the shackles commit suicide, or taking the "You do not exist" Planescape: Torment route?  ;D

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 02:56:30 pm »

Both, just to be sure.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2008, 03:02:01 pm »

I join this game

this is my action
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17