Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Inod Shash (are you dwarf enough?) [succession]  (Read 6055 times)

Jakeypoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Inod Shash (are you dwarf enough?) [succession]
« on: August 22, 2008, 11:02:20 pm »

Lets start with the nitty gritty: Rules are standard, one year per turns, you get one week, write it up all purty like, you've got three days from when the save is posted to start or you pass, I'll try to stay on top of it and PM people when their turn is starting, but I can only check so often...

Other stuff:
No flooding the world with magma, no gross and horrible stupidity intentionally leading to the death of the fortress. Other than that, Try to survive. Have "Fun"! As this will be a grim fortress of undead attacks, near-constant goblin harassment (we're, like, 2 region squares from a fortress) Immigration should be low (far away from parent civ) so good luck! Oh, yes, chances are good your dwarf will die, heck, I'm not sure I'll even be able to make it through the first year without mass starvation death. Try to keep a light heart and cheerful spirit throughout this... experience.

The setup:

Yeah, Embark Anywhere is your friend. Welcome to the Inod Shash, The Gate of Hell, doubtless this locale shall live up to its name.

I think we're all going to die...

Dwarves up for grabs for those who want to be dwarf'd:

Tulon Uzarolthar, Miner/grower/brewer ---- EchoP
Dastot Erithkathil, Miner/grower/cook ----- Beardless
Sakzul Stukonerith, Miner/grower/butcher/tanner/leatherworker
Besmar Mafolken, Mason ---------Lucid_Archon
Lor Asmelokir marksdwarf/carpenter/hunter-----(me)
Kosoth Matgoden, General Craftsdwarf ----- Rokuougan
Tosid Oltarthoth, Mechanic/architect/trader----- Liwjatan

Play list:
1. Me ------DONE
2. EchoP ----- DONE (in record time o.O)
3. Kazindir ---- DONE (at a pace to rival EchoP's)
4. Liwjatan ---- DONE
5. Lucid_Archon ---- Can now begin
6. Beardless
7. Rokuougan
8. ChazzyBurger

I'll play out spring and write it up, including (half assed) introduction tomorrow. here's hoping we don't starve or get skeleton'd.

By the way...
Initial Critter Tally:
Batmen: 24
Ratmen: 22
Troll: 4
Giant Bat: 3
Giant cave swallow: 4
Naked Mole Dog: 23
Troglodyte: 31

o.O" I think I may have bit off more than I can chew. stay tuned for some death.

Alright, adding a new section to this post,

Leaders of the past, where are they now?

Jakey: patrolling the food stockpiles with a turtle-bone crossbow and clothing made from a dead cat.
EchoP: Throwing rocks off a cliff.
Kazindir: Play marbles on a nice, smooth floor in between vigorous pumping sessions.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 05:10:26 pm by Jakeypoo »

EchoP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Inod Shash (are you dwarf enough?) [succession]
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 01:00:57 am »

I think I am up for a challenge, let's just hope you survive the first year.
Also, could I grab the brewer. Nothing makes me happier than brewing lots of alcohol  :P

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 10:06:55 am »

I'll have a go - I'm off work until next monday too, so should have lots of time.  :D

Liwjatan

• Bay Watcher
  • I swallow your soul!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 10:13:20 am »

Iīd like to take a turn as well.

Hence i demand to materialize myself in the fortress as the Mechanic/Architect/trader; life in fear ye foolish chasmdwellers,as my bridges will mark your doom!

Lucid_Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 10:59:10 am »

I've got some free time nowadays, so I'd love a turn, and the mason as well.

Jakeypoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 07:53:34 pm »

People Dwarf'd and added to the turn list.
Spring coming later tonight... watch this space.

Edit: err, let's make that tomorrow, sleepyness makes me sleepy and makes doings things competently difficult.

Also, my units screen is full of dead river creatures. it happened all at once... Can underground rivers freezer up? If so I'm going to have to roll a new settlement, frozen ground water = game over.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 11:26:08 pm by Jakeypoo »

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 11:31:42 pm »

I'd be interested in joining in if there's anything left by year 6. :D  I'll take the cook if you don't mind.
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

Rokuougan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 08:17:46 pm »

I'd like in, please. I'll take the craftsdwarf and hope we survive long enough. Can't wait for your update, Jake.

I don't think underground rivers can freeze, I've never had it happen before, at least.

Jakeypoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 09:24:15 pm »

Alright, just so everyone knows, my turn is done. Zipping the save right now. I'll do the writeup as soon as possible, Classes start in 12 hours, writeup is coming, but it's going to be a little short/rushed. I thought I'd have the turn finished on Saturday, unfortunately stuff kept coming up, so here it comes...
Rokuougan has been added to the turn list, but, as my turn is over, I haven't dwarf'd him. EchoP will have to do the deed once he starts his turn, which he is now free to do at any time.

Mininotes: Lucid's dwarf is a woman, and, evidently, we're lovers. go figure. expect me to ham this up in my writeup, sorry if it's a bit much, but sometimes this shit writes itself.

Writeup:
Introduction:
Dwarven rum is fine stuff. Damn fine stuff. So fine, in fact, that you can make a wager with a dwarven prince in a tavern with your goddamn LIFE as the stakes and not know about it until a week later when you're "reminded" by the royal guard. Evidently, some fat, worthless friend of the prince went off to found a settlement, but couldn't hack it, and got his shit fatally wrecked. Evidently the prince still holds this moron close to his heart, and, when stout millitary types such as myself that make meek little nobles like him quiver on the insider make drunken boasts like, hypothetically, "How hard can running a settlement be? I bet I could run a settlement at the amok-damned south pole!" He takes them seriously and holds you to them.

1st Granite 201. We've arrived at the south pole. It's cold, so damn cold in fact that I doubt my nipples will ever be soft again. My snot is frozen into icicles in my beard, the snow is up to my goddamn waist, and the wagon broke an axle... At least that's what we *think* happened, we haven't tried to dig the sucker out to check. Screw it, here we are, and here we freeze. I've heard that there is an underground river in the area, I'm taking a guess at where it is and telling the miners to get digging. It'll be warmer underground.

2nd Granite. It just started snowing. Because there wasn't already enough of that shit all over the damn place. Perhaps we could melt some for water. Oh wait, we'd need wood, we have precious little of that as it is. Balls, looks like it's time for another rum-pop.

5th Granite. Digging progresses slowly, chisling through frozen dolomite with frozen hands, nipples, and copper picks is slow going. We're starting to carve out the basic storerooms to get our food and booze out of the cold before the alcohol becomes undrinkable. Also, we've struck Limonite, which would be awesome, if we had, say, the means to power a forge and a blacksmith. Rock on.

15th Granite 201. The First storerooms are completed. Finally. It's still fucking snowing, we're hauling stuff inside as fast as possible, but, seriously, this is going to take a while. In other news, my boots have frozen into a state that puts their hardness somewhere between Iron and the goddamn rock we have to keep digging through. I can't bend my ankle, but maybe it'll protect me from all these batmen, troglodytes and other shit that wants to rip me apart. It'd be a different story if I had a damn crossbow, stupid asshole prince wouldn't let me take it with me.. "Property of the Royal Dwarven Army my ass."

18th Granite. A goddamn batman decided to waylay our Mason as he hauled a rope inside. The batman was promptly curb-stomped. Turns out Lucid is one tough lady, seriously, when she was wrapping its small intestine around it's neck, I was actually kinda turned on.

27th Granite. I am a genius. I am fucking brilliant. I am the greatest fucking dwarven prospector of all fucking dwarven prospectors. By which I mean we've found the underground river.

I've named the river "The Hellflow" seemed apt.

7th Slate. In celebration of our discovery of the river, and the completion of a few basic workshops, I've decided that today should be know as "Everyone stuff your fat bearded faces with plump helmets day" Care to guess what event inspired this name?

18th Slate. Our adorable little kitten has taken it upon himself to kill everything that moves. This means olms. There are a LOT of olms. I'm not even sure exactly where the little buggers come from,  DO know that they smell like nothing else I've ever had to smell, and I was in the army! I've asked the miners to dig a shaft to the deep hole the river drops into so we may properly dispose of these little stinkbombs.

5th Felsite. I feel I should make a note some point of all the freakin' gems we've found. But at this point, I'm too behind on the whole listing thing to bother to note it. We've also found Galena, and a metric shitton of Talc. Talc's totally worthless, but the miners get excited every freakin' time we find more of it, which is like, twice a day. So at least they're thrilled. Rockophiles.

1st Hematite: Ahh, summer, and with it comes. Well, actually, the weather hasn't changed at all. It's still snowing. Amok-all-mighty. On the positive side, we've completed the underground farm, and we are now flooding it so we may begin planting plump helmets, and a good thing too, I was getting sick of catching olms with my boot. Not that any other rulers will ever need to use them, but the farm is operated by three levers, the one on the far left opens and closes the floodgate that blocks the farm off from the rest of the fortress. The middle lever opens the floodgate to the river, and the right lever opens the floodgate that drains the room back into the river. A note is scrawled here This system will no longer work as the room can no longer be sealed off. Oh well.

7th Hematite. Water can fill a room a hell of a lot faster than water can leave a room. The farm is still partially submerged. Olms don't taste good. Anyway, the miners have begun digging out some bedrooms, I'm making beds across the hall from that cute mason carving out doors. I think I'll make my bed a little extra wide...

27th Hematite. Well, the farm plot is built, some tower caps are sprouting (we'll need to construct an axe at some point) the small office for the recordkeeper is completed, as are the bedrooms. I got to "break in" my bed tonight, if you catch my drift.

1st Malachite. We've started digging out a second, larger plot next to the river, the idea is we'll flood it and let towercaps grow. It's huge and will take a while to build, and even longer to get all the damn rocks out of there (in fact I should get back to work hauling the stupid rocks out of our first farm...)

17th Malachite. Secret mini-project is now complete! It's nothing special, just a small roost to pick off the lizardmen from. There are a lot of them, and I don't really enjoy 72 v 1. Especially since I'm still unarmed.

3rd Galena. I've made myself a crossbow. Out of turtle bones. It looks bad, and fires worse, but I don't exactly have a huge selection of materials to work with here. I'm torn about making bolts for myself. On the one hand, there is no shortage of deserving targets. On the other, we don't have a lot of wood. So until I make up my mind, I have a turtle-bone club. Lucid has started building a wall around our Trade Depot and entrance. Eh, why not right? It's progressing quite well.

1st Limestone. All summer, the snow never thawed. We're in for a freakin' cold winter I'm sure. The wall around the outside is done, that mechanic, now that he doesn't have any levers to play with, has been occupying himself with rigging stone traps at the entrence. Can't say I blame him what with the trolls running around and such.

14th Limestone. The Caravan showed up, their wagons can't get through to our site (They came in at the highest point on the map, south edge) They made merry little circles around the snow covered mountain side, getting chased around by all manner of foul creatures. I was tempted to go help them, but then I saw the Liaison get ripped in half by a troll. Screw that. On the plus side, they did manage to kill some various rabble, like troglodytes. On the downside, the trolls now have a taste for dwarven blood. Two donkeys and their handlers managed to make it through. And for their effort, they managed to bring in... One rope, and one gold bar. What assholes. I bought the rope off of them though, I even threw in more shitty slate crafts than was fair because, well, they came a long way AND some of their friends got eaten. Oh well, hopefully they'll be back next year, and with stuff that doesn't suck.

23rd Limestone. Screw saving wood, I want to shoot stuff, those stupid snakemen have been hissing at me for months, I can hear it echoing down the hallways at night, disturbing my sleep (Though not Lucid's hehe) And it's time to introduce those scaled little sperm-with-arms to high-velocity dwarven wood. In retrospect, maybe I'll just shoot them with my crossbow, I'll get someone to make some bolts up.

18th Sandstone. We've struck Magnetite, which I actually consider important because magnetite comes in huge clumps, one is generally sufficient to arm a fortress for many years of growth. Now we just need coal or some other flammable something. Oh, and someone who knows an Anvil from their asshole.

Here logs break down in favor of crude drawings of a dwarf with a oversized-crossbow shooting various other crude drawings with suck captions as "I ruined their shit" and "hell yeah I rock this much"
(OOC: My dwarf entered martial trances four or five times while racking up around 49 kills. Around half the population of the river.)

8th Obsidian, Oops, I really haven't been keeping my journal at all, oh well. Business continues more or less as usual, I've lost motivation to direct the other dwarves in favor of chasing after what my old man referred to as "headshot glory" I can see him now, sitting by the fire, whittling away at a chunk of tower-cap and probably his thumb due to his level of inebriation, talking on for ages about the need to "Stay on target" and such. Ahh those days. Oh, I got carried away there, my bad. I was basically just making a note here that it's too cold in these tunnels for Plump Helmets to grow. Oh well, at least we've got a good number stocked up from a fruitful autumn of farming.
I really haven't been focused on "leading" These last months, heck, ever since we got the tree farm done I've been kinda... complacent. Time to start some huge stupid project. I guess I'll be giving up on the leadership thing at year's end. I've won the bet anyhow, we didn't die in three days. Take that you worthless noble!

26th Obsidian. This will be my last log as I plan on being so throughly trounced in the dwarven new year's festivities to write for a few weeks. My grand project, a MASSIVE second tree farm, is no where near completion. Hopefully it'll get done one of these days, we do need more wood for things like beds, and bins, and barrels. The main reason I'm witting is because I just got my forty-ninth kill, and, for some arbitrary reason, I'm now called an "Elite Marksdwarf" which means that, according to some asinine dwarven tradition, I am no longer allowed to do anything but shoot stuff with my crossbow. In the whole great, intricate and complex dwarven language, I can only find one word that succinctly sums up how I feel about this promotion: Pimp.

Alright folks, That's my year! In summery:
We now have a farm growing plump helmets, and plenty of room for more agriculture. We also have a fair sized tree farm, with a HUGE one around 1/2 done a few levels down. We also have a smoothed 9x10 dining hall underneath the river, I was planning on putting tables and chairs in there and removing the back wall so that theres a massive waterfall at the back of the dining hall, but I never got around to it. Our main problem will be wood, 2ish more years until tower caps mature, and there aren't many of them sprouting yet.

Things I suggest:
Tap that Magma pipe: The surface of it is closed off, but you can probably find it with out too much hassle. It'd be nice to get some forges going. I did start with an iron anvil as I figured that we wouldn't be getting any wagons... on that...
Try to get a 3 wide path for wagons: We can't pick what we get anymore (Liaison died) but the more stuff they bring the more likely we get what we need.
Defenses: I'm out of bolts, and we only have 1 row of stone traps. This could prove fatal.  Get a barracks going sooner or later, make some armor, and recruit some migrants if any ever show up.
Feel free to play with the Chasm too, I never got around to it, just please don't flood it, that's good target practice...

Well, have fun, hopefully the goblins won't start ambushing, and the trolls won't get hungry... but who knows...

Oh, and here's the save: region1.zip
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 10:28:17 pm by Jakeypoo »

Lord Nightmare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 01:34:45 am »

Great story so far, the writing style makes me think 'boatmurdered 2: antarctic bugaloo'

LN
"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

Liwjatan

• Bay Watcher
  • I swallow your soul!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 06:20:49 am »

Oh,wow..
I just got up and your story already made my day.

EchoP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 07:47:18 am »

Ok, I'm done.
First off, so people dont have to read my post if they don't want to;
The save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=470
Jakeypoo's year on the map archive: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-3444-inodshash
End of my year on map archive: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-3445-hell
(Both have gaps in between layers, because I didn't want to increase file size for viewing empty levels)

Before I start I would like to apologize to Jakey in advance for bagging him in the post. No harm meant  :P.
Now the real update begins  ;) (Text only in this spoiler)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This spoiler has images  :)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

On a final note, this was lots of fun, I didn't do anything spectacular, just tried to make the fortress easier to manage for future people. I also figured out why my framerate went to hell randomly. Turns out, as I was using FRAPS for the screenshots I took, I accidentaly hit the movie button, which just ruined the framerate. Thankfully a restart took care of that.
Also, this fortress was quite easy on my computer. Apart from the incident above, I had it capped at 100 fps solid throughout, on a single core 1.6 Ghz machine...

On a final final note, we have no wood. And no beer. Or beds. This is a problem.

So, thanks for the fortress, I hope it keeps going.  :)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 07:49:08 am by EchoP »

Jakeypoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 08:31:46 am »

Wow. You finished your whole turn in under 8 hours, that's like, a succession fortress record.

Alright, stuff is updated. Suggest the next player cook shit like mad, it might free up some barrels, I doubt it though as we don't have many of them at all. (heck, make sure you turn the "Cook" back on for plump helmets, I didn't initially as I was worried about running out of seeds, but I think we're passed needing to worry about that.)

Also: Don't forget that you *can* make barrels out of metal, it just takes THREE bars per barrel. Judging by the abundance of magnetite, we should be set on iron barrels for life is the magma is tapped. There should still be the embark iron anvil sitting around somewhere.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 08:43:16 am by Jakeypoo »

EchoP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 08:40:54 am »

Wow. You finished your whole turn in under 8 hours, that's like, a succession fortress record.
Yeah, I found you had done your go around 6 hours ago, and have been doing it on and off since then, thought I might as well finish it.  :)
Edit: Oh, and I took your charecter off crossbow duty to save wood for one, but also to level up in wrestling. I think he is professional.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 08:43:31 am by EchoP »

Liwjatan

• Bay Watcher
  • I swallow your soul!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008, 10:01:53 am »

Use the "corpse"-stockpile to zoom to the dead catīs body.Ye,i know,quite pointless to say that after your turn.

Also a small reminder:if youre desperate for barrelīs,set a max barrel cap to the foodstockpiles to get a few empty ones;downside:rotting food.But with a gigantic shroomplantage,food shouldnīt be that much of a problem.
Pages: [1] 2 3