Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So, who got the ball ready?  (Read 475 times)

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So, who got the ball ready?
« on: September 28, 2007, 04:31:00 pm »

I mean... somebody did, right? There is a chance, however remote, that Toady will say "The next version will be released in X hours and Y minutes..." before putting it up on the site.

And for that possible event, we need a ball. Something big, shiny, like a disco ball. Maybe with spikes in it. And we need to hoist it up somewhere really high and rig a timer on it so it hits the ground at the EXACT moment the next version is released. We could all have those awesome glasses, but instead of looking like "2008" with zeroes for the eye-holes, it will say "DF" and it'll be virtually impossible to see out through the left side.

If anybody has the spare time, I'd also suggest getting one of those paper things you blow into, making a whistling sound. I dig those. Maybe some fire-crackers too. I think I have a bottle rocket laying around, that could be my contribution.

Ah, who am I kidding? We could never set that up perfectly. As soon as the ball is supposed to be dropped, I'm sure we'll get a "Forum User 312 cancels pull lever: interupted by OSHA" or something similar. That or one of the more devious folk around here will change the lever mechanism to some floodgate and wipe out about a third of the forum's population.

It's a nice idea; and I mean no offense by this, but I wouldn't trust any of you to creating a lever mechanism. It's nothing personal; I just don't want to die under countless tons of super-heated rock and partially butchered elephant corpses. That being said, you would all be better not to trust me with one, either.

Oh, and if you were involved with that little "Boatmurdered" fiasco a while back? Sorry, you're off the involved list, too. Again, nothing personal, but as bad as dying from being crushed and burned by molten rock and various pachyderm bits is, it's even worse to be crushed and burned by molten rock and various pachyderm bits while choking on countless miasma clouds and dwarven ale tainted with bits of dwarf children and vermin.

[ September 28, 2007: Message edited by: Keiseth ]

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: So, who got the ball ready?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 05:58:00 pm »

As a Bay12Platinum cardholder, I get a call on my home phone 24, 12, and 1 hours before the release hits, and once more when it arrives.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 07:42:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Keiseth:
<STRONG>Something big, shiny, like a disco ball. Maybe with spikes in it.
[ September 28, 2007: Message edited by: Keiseth ]</STRONG>

This is a silver ball. It is encrusted with clear glass. It menaces with spikes of Platinum and Kitten Bone. In the item is an image of an elephant and a dwarf in gold. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

Someone also must play "The Final Countdown", full volume, and repeaedly. Then when the ball hits bottom, "We are the Champions"

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 08:17:00 pm »

Don't forget the alcohol.
Though I'll settle for Dr Pepper I'm sure there would be complaints if there isn't any.

Edit : (You don't hear the eraser) (You also don't hear the removal of the unexpected sad face)

[ September 28, 2007: Message edited by: Greiger ]

[ September 28, 2007: Message edited by: Greiger ]

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 10:04:00 pm »

Anyone who includes a period in Dr Pepper is no true afficionado. ;-)
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 10:05:00 pm »

I just drink it, I don't have a higher motive or anything.  :)  (quietly removes the period)
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 10:16:00 pm »

I'd be more worried about the Boatmurdered people forgetting which lever was set up to drop the ball. They'd probably walk, pull it, and accidentally flood the Bug Reports forum.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 02:15:00 pm »

Bug reports forum? Nah. This is Boatmurdered! It would have to be Nonsense, Bug Reports AND the Dwarves' Nursery. With lava.

If only you could channel objects; we might survive being trapped under bones and corpses, but not lava.