Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 31

Author Topic: Additional Mechanics/Traps Wishlist  (Read 121042 times)

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Additional Mechanics/Traps Wishlist
« Reply #75 on: September 20, 2008, 02:30:18 pm »

Coal dust was -deadly- back in the day.  I don't have any references on hand, but I'll guarantee you that people have died from coal dust explosions in DF-style mines.
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 20, 2008, 02:56:29 pm »

hmm, sounds like theres another use for the mill and quern, grinding coaldust for fire traps
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Lokomotivet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2008, 04:45:36 pm »

hmm, sounds like theres another use for the mill and quern, grinding coaldust for fire traps

Couldn't agree more.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2008, 09:11:23 pm »

I have a request.
"Switch Pressure Plate"
A mechanic goes to the pressure plate and toggles it, so that levers are not required for the first time a water-sensor system runs.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

MadAlchemist

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2008, 10:01:48 pm »

I have a couple suggestions here to allow for some rather nasty traps:

Movable walls:

As in constructed walls that can be linked to a trigger to move to an adjacent empty space - horizontally or vertically.

Aka, crusher traps!  :o

Pressure plates in same tile as other constructions:

This one has been mentioned before but it would be pretty dang handy for setting up traps and probably necessary for the above trap to work at its best.
It would also allow for nifty pitfall traps when a pressure plate is combined with a floor hatch or retractable drawbridge.
Plenty of options for pitfall traps: long falls to solid stone, spikes, water, magma or... another trap.  ;D

Additional liquids:

One type of liquid I would absolutely love my dwarves to be able to make is acid... and then fill a pool with the stuff.
I guess lye could be considered a corrosive acid but I'm pretty sure it can't be used to fill a pool with.
Flaming oil and explosive oil/alcohol are other ideas, but they would need a few other things to be implemented for them to be useful.

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2008, 05:50:34 am »

The "waterproof axle" suggestion began life as the "gasket", a wall-like construction that allows only axles to pass through it (i.e. is impassible and water-tight).  If you want to be thorough you might mention it, unless the "waterproof axle" works identically but just has a different name.

Another suggestion you haven't put on your list is for drive belts.  A drive belt transfers power like an axle, follows rules appropriate to the technology (without an intervening mechanism drive belts can only be linked to other belts linearly or axles at right angles, etc.), and is made of leather or cloth instead of wood.
"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2008, 08:52:17 am »

Steam power could be added simply by having steam be pressurized or not.  Steam already exists in the game, it just needs that one addition.  Don't do turbines, but make waterwheels movable by steam flow also.  Then, you have steam as a source of power and/or a source of aesthetics.

Misters, when you get right down to it, are a grate plus pressurized water.  We have these now (they just have the slight engineering challenge of killing everyone).

Also, I'm all for the drive belts.  It's a nice, simple thing to add.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2008, 01:41:20 pm »

Life is hectic right now (still no power at home), but I'll sort all these in when I get a chance.

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 24, 2008, 01:28:59 pm »

Think of all the awesome things we could do with movable walls and floors. .. .. Traps of all kinds, lifts, construction aids, Water diverters, a walking fortress.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
3 elements
« Reply #84 on: September 24, 2008, 06:42:06 pm »

To make lifts and powered transport, only 3 new elements the size of one square are needed:

- Tilting floor: need 1 block, 2 mechanisms (and optionally 1 bar): tilts slightly when activated, thereby shoving off any objects 1 square in a specified direction (pick one of north-south-east-west, like catapults). Combine at will to form a conveyor in any direction, add new elements when needed. Alternate their states (flat-tilted) to obtain efficient transport. They would require power, but not an extra row of gearworks/mechanisms to transfer it. Could be walked on normally when flat.

- Rising floor: need 1 block, 4 mechanisms, and 1 bar: The same as tilted floor, but the two states are flat and up, at which point the floor finds itself at the height of the floor, 1 z-level higher.. or against the ceiling.

- Pusher: need 1 block, 3 mechanisms and 1 bar: installed on square 1, when actived pushes anything on square 2 to square three. Much like a rising floor, but horizontal. Useful for pushing objects off tilting floors, onto rising floors, and back off them again.

Combinations of these three could solve most of the demands for automated transportation, would provide more applications for power, can easily be put to other uses (don't tell me you didn't think of what would happen when there was no open space over a rising floor), and are probably (I'm guessing) easier to code tidily and maintain than a contraption that is spread over multiple squares that requires them to function.

(Another idea that came up while writing this: dwarf-sized balancing scales, and their implications.)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 12:06:33 pm by Silverionmox »
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2008, 01:05:18 pm »

Updated to add:
Coal and Flour Dust
Acid
Drive Belts
Small Mechanisms
Optics
Pressure Plate Comparisons (Balance Plates)

I also tried to add enough information to the Waterproof axel to make it obvious that it's code for 'Some sort of method to put the power through a waterproof wall'.

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2008, 03:24:32 pm »

Also, for the tilting floors, we'd need a way or mechanism that can select which way to tilt somehow, so that you can have splitting paths for them.
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 26, 2008, 01:44:49 pm »

Also, for the tilting floors, we'd need a way or mechanism that can select which way to tilt somehow, so that you can have splitting paths for them.
Clarified the previous post.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Login

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 26, 2008, 06:35:34 pm »

Revolving door with a pressure plate inside + trap and a deep pit.

Goblin gets inside. Pressure plate notice it isn't a dwarf.  It turns and the trap opens.  ::)

in   T| P  out    P= Pressure plate.
   |--0--|         T= Trap= deep pit.
   |P | T|          0= axle  Turns left.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 05, 2008, 04:46:47 am »

I thought of something rather specific for putting pressure plates into other buildings.

First anything that a lever could be linked to currently is a valid target for a pressure plate.

Second the mechanics workshop is where the job is created.  Titled something like "Build Plate Into Building".  This would then go through the same target selection method that is used to link things, and would go through the same pressure plate setup screen.

Third after the plate is built into that building then q'ing over the building should display the pressure plate job menu as well as whatever the default options for that building are.  This would pretty much only involve the addition of the line "a: Add new linkage".
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 31