Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 31

Author Topic: Additional Mechanics/Traps Wishlist  (Read 121028 times)

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
Re: Additional Mechanics/Traps Wishlist
« Reply #90 on: October 06, 2008, 08:19:16 am »

Something not on the list yet about pressure plates (maybe suggested prior, and certainly implied)...have the ability to see the pressure plate settings and modify them. If they are modified, generate task at mechanics workshop "tune pressure plate".

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 17, 2008, 02:06:59 pm »

How would you hook power up to a trap without allowing invaders a way into the fortress?  From above would work, I suppose.  That's still pretty limited.

I would like to see a way to put axles through walls.

You can pump water inside and use a water wheel on the underground channel thus created - the output end of the pump is impassable.

A windup spring power storage device (Dwarves wind it to store energy, which can then be released on demand) would be nice. Especially if the traps don't need power until triggered.

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 17, 2008, 03:25:50 pm »

Allow me to interject  ;D

Class A:  New Systems
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Class B:  Power Providers

Class C:  Power Transfers

Class D:  Power Users

Class E: Flow Controllers

Class F: Existing Constructions Improvements
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 05:57:04 pm by MagicJuggler »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 17, 2008, 04:50:13 pm »

Can you please wrap that in a spoiler tag?  Big walls of 'good idea'/'bad idea' make the discussions hard to read.

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 17, 2008, 05:57:48 pm »

Can you please wrap that in a spoiler tag?  Big walls of 'good idea'/'bad idea' make the discussions hard to read.

Sorry mate. Here ya go. I believe that with movable and rotatable floors and walls, a lot of the stuff you suggested could be built; focus more on the blocks and the structure follows.  ;)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 17, 2008, 07:55:15 pm »

MagicJuggler: Aelopiles don't mean jack. They literally didn't do anything except spin around; it performed no useful work whatsoever, and they didn't know how to make it do so. In short, there's a reason steam power wasn't particularly used until relatively recently.

Also, considering the way flows work, getting rid of perpetual motion would be extremely hard, if not impossible.

Hell, a LOT of these suggestions are explicitly modern, or at least much, much more modern than the era DF represents.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 17, 2008, 08:02:47 pm »

What use could a spinning machine be? Let's think that one over very quickly...hmm...could it be related to those spinning gears and axles? Nah...

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 17, 2008, 08:47:02 pm »

You're forgetting most of what I said. It spins ITSELF. It was not in any way powerful enough to actually do work. It couldn't provide that sort of energy. Hell, people at the time didn't even really know steam COULD do that kind of thing.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

StrayCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Living gateway for the demonic Laggabeast
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 17, 2008, 10:28:42 pm »

Quote from: Everyone Who Has Said Anything About Dwarven Fire Stupidity In This Thread
Fire's fun. I mean, real fun. We need more of it! But doesn't it just suck that our fort's catch fire due to constant dwarven stupidity? Oh, if there were some preventative and combative ways of stopping (unwanted) fires in our forts, we would be so much happier!

Oh hai. I'll just leave this right here.
It takes a dwarf to use magma for snow shoveling

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 17, 2008, 10:30:49 pm »

This wasn't about whether it was efficient. In an area where there was no wind and the only sourced water was a brook or ocean, the ability to take a lot of small-power aeolipiles and use them to power a system would be an option. Or we could use Taqi-al-Din's steam turbine if we were willing to expand tech to include Islamic science.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 18, 2008, 12:13:58 am »

Scissor Lifts ( Connected to ceiling for Locking to the floor ) + Scissor Pusher ( Ceiling Connected to provide Movement ) + Powering System + Godly Amounts of Labour = Urist's Moving Castle

« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 12:16:21 am by Foa »

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 18, 2008, 11:00:04 am »

Except for the most part, scissor lifts are just an extension of rotatable floors/walls. The main issue is that the power needed to get to larger heights would continue to increase (because of larger gravitational potential energy). Assuming winch-technology also, a conventional elevator would work best anyway (a lever to go up one level, or go down one level, with level being tracked as a binary variable).

Foa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 18, 2008, 11:17:41 am »

They have rocks, ropes/chains, gears, the ability to make extremely extreme mega projects.

Thus they have enough brains to make counterweights, and use technology to make a castle run on internal energy ( Windmills, Waterwheels, blah. ) , and how to supply energy to the moving legs!

They can make the Hoover Dam, if the omniscient being ( you ) can plan out the shit!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 11:19:13 am by Foa »

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 18, 2008, 11:31:32 am »

I'm not saying it was impossible. I was just saying that using  rotatable floors and walls, one could build a scissor elevator from the ground up.

Legend
/ and \ represent walls, as does |
=== represents a conveyor belt
---- represents a floor.
The conveyor belt is actually two separate ones going in opposite directions, and each diagonal wall is on a separate belt

----                   ----
===                   ===
\   /                     |
 \ /                      |
  o    ---------->   |
 / \                      o
/   \                     |
===                     |
------                  |
                         ===

Of course, both gears would require connection to a power source for them to rotate inwards, it would require increasing amounts of power as the elevator rised, and unless a locking mechanism were in place, (e.g. another conveyor belt with a wall), then the bridge would fall as soon as there was no more power. Meaning if you wanted to safely lower the elevator, you would need a way to gradually decrease the power input). But that's an easy thing to solve.

I would like to see an interruped screw as another option. We already have the screw pump so we know how to make screws. The ability to use the interrupted screw as a way to provide an airtight lock would allow for tougher doors to breach, better elevators, and breechloader cannons. &_&

Foa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 18, 2008, 03:33:26 pm »

Here is a Scissor Jack, as you see, you need advanced machinery to establish constant power.
I recommend a WORM GEAR!!!

« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 04:59:37 pm by Foa »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 31