Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31]

Author Topic: Additional Mechanics/Traps Wishlist  (Read 118944 times)

isd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Additional Mechanics/Traps Wishlist
« Reply #450 on: July 25, 2011, 12:45:16 am »

I'm not too fond of the idea of dwarven steampower. Archimedes mirror sounds way too undwarven as well. They don't like the sun, doubt they'd try to use it for anything.

You may not want to use it, but it would be nice to have the possibility to use it ^^

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: July 25, 2011, 03:55:35 am »

steam power was invented by the ancient greeks.

they just never thought of using it for anything other than a play thing.

anyways:

Pistons: For movement of fortress sections or if your smart enought inteligent fluid traps.
Turning mechanisms: To turn a peice on the x y or z axis, could be used to create realy impossibly large drawbridges that take up more than 1 z level.

selective attatchement: Constructions can be built to not be attatched to certain parts, yet still act as a support for anything above it. ie: attatched above, but not below, so it supports whats above, and can be moved via pistons without having to go down and dig out a block every time. could be signified most practicaly in the K screen, with (U)(D)(N)(E)(W)(S) and crossed out for those its not attatched to, so: (U) - (D)(N)(E)(W)(S)
done only on constructions, unless toady would implament lifts or such. this means itll only start taking up more memory by choice and not by extra calculations from embark. letting a player totaly ignore the feature. options when building to say attatched to (D) etc.

I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: July 25, 2011, 05:40:48 am »

Convection should make a pretty efferctive ventilation system, all you need is a big chimney with hot at the bottom and it will suck fresh air in from everywhere to feed it...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: July 25, 2011, 11:45:06 am »

This occured to me while trying to link all those damned cages in my sacrificial pit to one lever. Right now, you only have inputs (levers/pplates) and outputs (doors,cages etc.)
Its a long process, you can only assing 10 such jobs at a time, and only one dwarf will do the job at any given time. Micromanagement at its worst.
What I propose is having sort of gearbox that you can both link to a lever/pplate(will still act as a input device) AND output devices that it will transfer the signal to.
So instead of linking 50 cages to one lever, just put 5 gearboxes, link them to one lever, and then assign them with 10 cages in one batch . Job done >5 times faster than usual.
I'm sure one could find some use for it in dwarven logic as well.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 11:48:37 am by Z1000000m »

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: July 25, 2011, 12:07:23 pm »

A fuckin' mech suit already!

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: July 25, 2011, 12:35:46 pm »

Mech suit, shmech suit.
Give me a giant steam-piston-powered robot with my fortress inside of it.
Then I could have my fortress itself crushing invaders with its fist.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: July 25, 2011, 01:50:36 pm »

Would be even more awesome if creatures scaled with size.
Imagine Your mobile fort battling demons and full sized dragons.
Awesome

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: July 25, 2011, 05:05:44 pm »

Would be even more awesome if creatures scaled with size.
Imagine Your mobile fort battling demons and full sized dragons.
Awesome
Well, you know how it goes.  The Big Bad (but not yet BIIIIIIG! Bad) with the power to attain monstrous size never actually does that right from the off, but wait until they've got a chance to encounter the good guys' huge Giant Mecha Thing (or, vice versa, the GGs only assemble their GMT when the lazy BB goes all humongous after being fed up being ass-whipped by the GGs on a more human scale...).

There's doubtless good sound reasons for that.  (Like the apparent fact that the Fiery Phoenix can only be used once per mission, but many times is never even used at all, even when it would have been jolly useful!  But now I'm starting to mix up my TV shows...)  Anyone know what the TVTropes page is called that deals with that?  I could do with wasting several more days of my life. :)

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: July 19, 2012, 04:04:29 pm »

Ok.  Believe me this is more than worthy of a necro.  EVERYONE WATCH THIS, especially part 2 with the crayfish thing, the tank, and the siege-bell!  And part 3 with the diving suit!!!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xh5aey_ngc-medieval-fight-book-part-1-3_shortfilms#rel-page-1

Some parts of this detail some WICKED AWESOME siege weapons, traps, mechanisms and the like, that even if they didn't exist IRL and were just plans, could have likely been built with the technologies at the time (this documentary applies to late 14th to mid 15th centuries... much of which is within the tech time-frame of DF).  Yes, some involve gunpowder, but some don't need it necessarily...

Also, there are some interesting things in this that could inspire some other suggestions, like those dealing with justice and stuff... 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 04:21:12 pm by Andeerz »

greenwatering

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: July 24, 2012, 02:29:34 am »

this thread is awesome.

Phlum

• Bay Watcher
  • Above Is my true form, no mortal shall see it!
    • View Profile
    • Idontwanttowork
« Reply #460 on: July 25, 2012, 06:15:13 pm »

Slides! Would be very fun to shove goblins down and an easy way to move dwarfs down 200 z levels. (although this is somewhat similar to minecarts I think this has Merritt being that the minecarts are so buggy and I can't figure them out.)
So I have spoken, may this thread live long!!

I don't share my age online, no one takes horny 14 year olds seriously.

"dwarf fortress is autism in a game"  -a guy named rick

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: July 25, 2012, 08:07:00 pm »

But we already have a way to quickly move goblins and dwarves down 200Z. It is called a 200 storey hole...
If you genuinely had a 200 storey slide then you would need to be quite careful with the gradients or else it would either be no faster than a flight of stairs or would present its users with a catastrophic amount of deceleration at the far end...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Phlum

• Bay Watcher
  • Above Is my true form, no mortal shall see it!
    • View Profile
    • Idontwanttowork
« Reply #462 on: July 27, 2012, 08:08:06 am »

it would either be no faster than a flight of stairs or would present its users with a catastrophic amount of deceleration at the far end...
Exactly, the right incline or slope would be hard to perfect. The difference between this and holes is that it can move laterally as well as vertically and give a larger chance of living.
So I have spoken, may this thread live long!!

I don't share my age online, no one takes horny 14 year olds seriously.

"dwarf fortress is autism in a game"  -a guy named rick
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31]