Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: Why is the development so slow?  (Read 21283 times)

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why is the development so slow?
« on: August 26, 2008, 07:48:24 pm »

So, my brother told me to check out DF again...I wasn't playing for a long time, because the game became very boring after some time. Now I downloaded the new version, and what the hell do I see? v0.28?? Yes there are many new stuff in the game, but nothing "wow awesome". Small stuff here and there and thats it. I dont know what Toady has in mind, but probably only 1 game will need more time to complete - Duke Nukem Forever, IF DF version 1 + Duke will be released at all, I doubt it but I hope that I am wrong.
I thought that we have armies in DF already, but my brother has just informed me that no no...maybe in a couple of months..I was like what the hell? The interface is still horrible, and I dont see any real tileset support at all. So I dont see any new major gameplay additions, only this legends stuff, what is nice and good, but I dont care about worldgen wars and stuff like that, to be honest.
Oh well, I guess I just wanted to play with DF again, but its still pointless as I see. I will give it a shot anyways until I will be bored again by it.

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why is the development so slow?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 07:58:41 pm »

Bit of explanation: The v.28 number doesn't mean that the game is 28% complete. It means that 28 core components are done. Please check here for a list of all core components, so you can see what's still ahead: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html
The links are a bit down the page.

You may notice the some of the core components are not actually very big.

Also note that this is all done by a SINGLE man.

Edit: Also consider this: Toady does need to spend time on fixing bugs.

Or would you prefer that he only adds new stuff, but in exchange the game crashes every five minutes?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 08:02:31 pm by Mithaldu »

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 08:00:10 pm »

In short, it's your fault. You have failed to put in sufficient funding for it's development.

Sell all your worldly possessions (bar some ashes and sackcloth), donate the cash and retire to the wilderness to contemplate your failure.

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 08:00:44 pm »

Go be a troll someplace else.
This is not a signature.

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 08:01:43 pm »

That was a lot of negativity.  But I can agree with a lot of the content of what you said.  I too was rather disappointed with what Toady decided to work on, since a lot of it is just behind the scenes "atmospheric" "ambience" sort of stuff.

But at the same time, it's the Adams brothers' project, and they can and probably should work on the parts that they find interesting, or else the project would like just stagnate altogether and then no one would get what they wanted out of the game, the developers or the players.  Toady has recently been quite generous with the things he has added in the last month; a lot of it was probably stuff he wasn't really excited about working on, but there was a lot of interest among the players for it.

In the end, even though I would take the game in different directions at various points, I'm very appreciative of the fact that it is available and even better, free.  Constructive criticisms are okay, but simply being critical because you're disappointed doesn't really seem appropriate for a freely available game that exists solely because a couple of brothers decided to work on something they ended up loving to work on.

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 08:05:38 pm »

That was a lot of negativity.  But I can agree with a lot of the content of what you said.  I too was rather disappointed with what Toady decided to work on, since a lot of it is just behind the scenes "atmospheric" "ambience" sort of stuff.
Much of that is necessary so you actually have somebody to wage war against. What good is it to have armies, when all you can do with them is exterminate a few villages without ever having to worry about anything?

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 08:07:26 pm »

In one of Toady's filing cabinet, in a locked drawer and in a lead folder, is a USB stick with version 3 or 4 or something and he's holding it back out of spite.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 08:09:43 pm »

Keep in mind just now Toady started on the Army Arc. As in setting things set-up for the cool stuff later. It's like how now he's not interested in graphical updates. He wants to focus on features and not pretty things.

Also, keep in mind Duke Nuken Forever (Had? Currently has? Once had?) a team of developers, using some very hectic  development methods. Something looks cool? They are adding it. I think that game suffered the same fate as Armok: It just became too hard to continue to develop.

DF has a whole list of things that need to be done. All of it is in planning, all of it is in steps.

Or, the obvious answer:

YOU make a game like this. Then when you do, try to add stuff to it. Difficult because you didn't think ahead, eh?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 08:09:55 pm »

WHY IS THIS FREE GAME NOT CATERING TO MY EXACTING STANDARDS

WHY IS IT NOT DONE YET GOD WHAT IS YOUR COMPANY PAYING YOU FOR ANYWAY

I MEAN TOADYS NOT AN ACTUAL PERSON MAKING AN ENTIRE WORLD SIMULATOR BY HIMSELF RIGHT

THAT WOULD JUST BE SILLY

EverybodylovesTJ

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McNaughty
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 08:10:24 pm »

So, my brother told me to check out DF again...I wasn't playing for a long time, because the game became very boring after some time. Now I downloaded the new version, and what the hell do I see? v0.28?? Yes there are many new stuff in the game, but nothing "wow awesome". Small stuff here and there and thats it. I dont know what Toady has in mind, but probably only 1 game will need more time to complete - Duke Nukem Forever, IF DF version 1 + Duke will be released at all, I doubt it but I hope that I am wrong.
I thought that we have armies in DF already, but my brother has just informed me that no no...maybe in a couple of months..I was like what the hell? The interface is still horrible, and I dont see any real tileset support at all. So I dont see any new major gameplay additions, only this legends stuff, what is nice and good, but I dont care about worldgen wars and stuff like that, to be honest.
Oh well, I guess I just wanted to play with DF again, but its still pointless as I see. I will give it a shot anyways until I will be bored again by it.

I just realized you named yourself Gimli. Just a quick name to post negatives?

Edit: Also, DNF is being worked on once again/still being worked on/Restarted or something.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 08:12:25 pm by EverybodylovesTJ »
Need I even mention the GIANT ASS BOOK?
Quote from: Toady One
So even if you aren't really hurting the titan, at least you can make little marks on it and bother it or something.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 08:16:40 pm »

Edit: Also, DNF is being worked on once again/still being worked on/Restarted or something.

DNF has been completely rebuilt something like three times. And as for this topic's original purpose, I have to say that all that can be said has been said and there is no further reason to discuss it.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Nukeitall

• Bay Watcher
  • HURR DURRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 08:31:06 pm »

WHY IS THIS FREE GAME NOT CATERING TO MY EXACTING STANDARDS

WHY IS IT NOT DONE YET GOD WHAT IS YOUR COMPANY PAYING YOU FOR ANYWAY

I MEAN TOADYS NOT AN ACTUAL PERSON MAKING AN ENTIRE WORLD SIMULATOR BY HIMSELF RIGHT

THAT WOULD JUST BE SILLY
You amuse me.

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 08:33:21 pm »

I can see why a lot of software developers and game studios keep their fan base in the dark on the overall progress of their projects.

Impatient Gamer: "WHY ISNT <GAME> DONE YET"

Developer: "We're working on getting 'A' in the game"

Impatient Gamer: "WHAT WOW THIS GAME IS NEVER GOING TO GET DONE WHY ISNT 'E' AND 'F' IN YET?!!!"

Developer: "Uh because we need 'A' before we can start on 'E' and 'F'"

Impatient Gamer: "WAT WHY CANT YOU JUST DO IT"

Developer: "You know what screw it now instead of keeping you informed we're going to release sparse previews at media conventions maybe once every three years and never listen to what you have to say ever again"

And that's how I think E3 was born.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 08:37:46 pm »

Actually I think thats how E3 got cancer and died. At least its older incarnation.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 08:38:49 pm »

Actually I think thats how E3 got cancer and died. At least its older incarnation.

Good point
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16