Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Author Topic: Why is the development so slow?  (Read 21284 times)

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
Re: Why is the development so slow?
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2008, 08:52:29 pm »

That is, however, how Spore was developed.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2008, 09:00:57 pm »

Wait, development slow? Seriously?

He works on it and updates the development log pretty much EVERY DAY (not counting breaks). Seriously, i'm amazed that the development is going as fast as it is, given that just ONE man is doing it pretty much.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2008, 09:10:52 pm »

Wait, development slow? Seriously?

He works on it and updates the development log pretty much EVERY DAY (not counting breaks). Seriously, i'm amazed that the development is going as fast as it is, given that just ONE man is doing it pretty much.

I agree. If he's not working on something sweet he's fixing something that slipped by on a release. I know there have been several times where I've woken up to find that two or three releases have come out in a short amount of time because he had to tweak something.

That's pretty much unheard of...anywhere really.

For one guy he's doing a hell of a job.

TheDeadlyShoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Blog not found
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2008, 09:23:40 pm »

Recent releases have actually improved the game hugely in all sorts of fields. Gimli, do you know what version you played last?
Lord have mercy and let me not throw up in this space helmet.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2008, 09:25:12 pm »

I just realized you named yourself Gimli. Just a quick name to post negatives?

He's got 130 posts, so no.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Cerej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2008, 09:27:18 pm »

Are people not allowed any dissent from the opinion, "Toady is god.  Let us worship him."  Gimli is not (since so few of you seem to have checked) a new poster deciding to do some trolling.  He is a long time follower of the game who is disappointed with the lack of visible progress since his last visit.  I would assume, at the risk of being foolish, that he was expecting actual game play changes when his brother told him to check out DF again.

So just cut him some slack, and let him voice his opinion.

RPharazon

• Bay Watcher
  • [SEVERONBREAKS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2008, 10:03:22 pm »

Are people not allowed any dissent from the opinion, "Toady is god.  Let us worship him."  Gimli is not (since so few of you seem to have checked) a new poster deciding to do some trolling.  He is a long time follower of the game who is disappointed with the lack of visible progress since his last visit.  I would assume, at the risk of being foolish, that he was expecting actual game play changes when his brother told him to check out DF again.

So just cut him some slack, and let him voice his opinion.

This isn't a "You said something bad about Toady, so you must be idiotic" type of response.

It's more of a "You honestly have the guts to complain about a FREE game that ONE person is making, without even donating?" type of response.

There's a difference between kissing butt and standing up for independent developers.
<Zaratustra> DF -is- a complex version of the sims
<Zaratustra> except instead of purchasing new sofas
<Zaratustra> you die

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2008, 10:11:13 pm »

There is a large range of opinions between "Toady is god" and that of the OP. Most opinions are respected here, but ranty, selfish opinions that exist only to complain that the features added weren't the ones he wanted tend to get the responses they deserve.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Grand_Marquis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2008, 10:52:42 pm »

Bit of explanation: The v.28 number doesn't mean that the game is 28% complete. It means that 28 core components are done. Please check here for a list of all core components, so you can see what's still ahead: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html
The links are a bit down the page.

Ohhhh, THAT'S what the v.## means.  Huh, learn something new every day.
Well it's good to know this thread wasn't completely worthless.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2008, 12:05:19 am »

So I dont see any new major gameplay additions, only this legends stuff, what is nice and good, but I dont care about worldgen wars and stuff like that, to be honest.

Dwarf Fortress isn't your game then. DF is about, well, the story, of all things. Its what sets it apart from other rougelikes. Besides, i like the new world gen additions :P
Magma is overrated.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2008, 12:07:17 am »

Quote from: Toady One
The version number is given by <N>.<Core>.<Req>.<Bloat><letter>, where N is all but the last two digits of the number of Core items completed (leaving us with version 1 when I finish all these up).

Thats the more expanded explanation given at http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_now.html on 15AUG08.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2008, 02:05:32 am »

"...and never listen to what you have to say ever again"

For some MMO's, this might actually be preferred instead catering to whiners (like carebears) and drifting from there original idea and thus screwing the game up.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Angry Lawyer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angry-Lawyer.com
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2008, 02:23:38 am »

In the free game/mod community, there seems to be some sort of "I deserve this" mentality in a lot of fans.  "Why isn't this done yet?", "You should release now, you owe it to your fans", "If you don't add this feature you're betraying your fans because they're the reason this game exists".

Freeware development is hell.

-Angry Lawyer

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2008, 02:34:58 am »

That was a lot of negativity.  But I can agree with a lot of the content of what you said.  I too was rather disappointed with what Toady decided to work on, since a lot of it is just behind the scenes "atmospheric" "ambience" sort of stuff.

I disagree strongly with this. The whole procedurally generated civilizations thing is really fascinating (and a major reason why DF is so fun), and I am actually pretty excited to see development with the religions and spheres and hist fig stuff... even if only 10% of that is actually visible in-game.

Some of us play DF like an RPG, and lots of the "atmospheric" and "ambience" stuff is what draws us to DF... c'mon, can you honestly say you don't like the cannibal elves?

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2008, 02:37:11 am »

That was a lot of negativity.  But I can agree with a lot of the content of what you said.  I too was rather disappointed with what Toady decided to work on, since a lot of it is just behind the scenes "atmospheric" "ambience" sort of stuff.

I disagree strongly with this. The whole procedurally generated civilizations thing is really fascinating (and a major reason why DF is so fun), and I am actually pretty excited to see development with the religions and spheres and hist fig stuff... even if only 10% of that is actually visible in-game.

Some of us play DF like an RPG, and lots of the "atmospheric" and "ambience" stuff is what draws us to DF... c'mon, can you honestly say you don't like the cannibal elves?
i just play worldgen/legends since some week :D
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16