Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]

Author Topic: Why is the development so slow?  (Read 21252 times)

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why is the development so slow?
« Reply #225 on: September 10, 2008, 08:36:53 am »

Exponent: I suppose our gaming styles differ there. Switching between devices is something I find rather annoying and try to avoid. But that is a personal difference, I suppose, so there is little point in the two of us arguing about this - especially since I have no interest in a mouse interface for DF.
Well, my point, which I probably didn't make very well, was that with a well designed keyboard/mouse interface, you don't need to switch between the two devices.  You use them at the same time:  one hand on the mouse at almost all times (except when typing actual words, usually), and one hand on the keyboard.  They can compliment each other very nicely.  But since this is tangential anyway, I'll just leave it at that.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 10, 2008, 11:19:37 am »

Tormy: I think you misunderstood my intent. I did not mean to say that mouse support was automatically inferior. Actually, I wanted to stress that proper mouse support can be a very good interface for this game as well (even though personally I would still prefer using the keyboard controls). The context-menu driven approach you described would be one way of a mouse control implementation I think would be a good solution.

Oh sorry in that case.  :)
Yes indeed, proper mouse driven interface is just plain awesome, easy to use and user friendly.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 10, 2008, 12:01:44 pm »

But the keyboard is something that makes us sooo hardcore :D. It resembles old sci-fi movies where any device had an AWFUL interface with countless buttons and it was AWESOME for us kids :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 10, 2008, 12:19:53 pm »

I only recently tried using the mouse for designations and was blown away.  It lets you do cool stuff like really "organic" (i.e. curved) excavations and exploratory shafts (still possible with the keyboard, but takes forever).  It's a great COMPLEMENT to the keyboard controls, not a replacement for it.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 11, 2008, 02:45:32 pm »

Since tiles = pixels you can also create nice rooms by copying a DF tile pixel-for-pixel as mining designation. Different in-game tiles have different levels of light\dark if you want to get the shading from some of the advanced tilesets like redjack and guybrush's.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]