Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 30

Author Topic: Sandy Fjord  (Read 88987 times)

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sandy Fjord
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2008, 09:16:41 pm »

Wondrous. And better yet, it's real. This is on it's way to Beyond Quality, I think.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2008, 04:17:39 am »

Bwahaha.  There's a girl running around (one of my first acquaintances, the one I haven't talked much with for a while) wearing a geek T-shirt.  Behold:

C:\DOS
C:\DOS RUN
RUN\DOS\RUN

Don't have much time, just popping in.  I got everything I wanted on my extras list, a small luxury but an important one.

I missed breakfast today because my damned phone figured I didn't really want to have my alarm set.  I'm a bit hungry, but nothing I haven't lived through before.

Gotta dash, talk to y'all later.  Ciao.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2008, 08:58:58 am »

Bleegh.  We were all assigned songbooks today.  And, since we're all so damned creative, we have to give our books unique bindings.

I created an aobmination that I cannot tolerate the sight of.  I want to burn it right here and now, stripping myself naked while I laugh and dance in the glow of the flames.  It's that good.

I'm going to see if I can't hit the equivalent of the "reboot" button and start over.  The faculty here is rather accommodating, so I don't think it will be that big of a problem.  Hopefully.

Dinner (which is served at 3:00PM) was Italian in shape and consistency, so I got a fine meal of pasta and pesto.  It's nice when they decide to serve something I enjoy.

Think I'll go take a shower.  I kinda need one, seeing as it will be the first time since coming to the school.

Meeeh....   I want a shower partner...

I managed to get my phone back on track.  It refused to change the date while automatic update was on.  Apparently it thought it was connecting to the internet and updating the time from there. 

Well, it can't access the internet.  So it kept insisting it was yesterday, while preventing me from "screwing up" the very well-oiled time update plan.

I managed to turn off the automatic update thing long enough to change the date.  It still thinks it's updating automatically, but now at least it has the right day.

One of my male acquaintances (a tall, quiet guy who's in drawing and painting class.  He ended up sharing a room with me on Hudø since the bunks in the standard rooms were too short for him) apparently has a treasure trove of meme-related T-shirts.  The first one I saw on him was a stick-figure depiction of the act of laughing one's ass off.  He's currently wearing a Domo-kun shirt.

I'm wearing a Volcom shirt, a company that apparently has not quite made it to Norway yet (although I have seen Quiksilver and Billabong, which surprised me).  When I was in the rec room earlier, he asked me what it meant.  I told him it was the name of a company.  He asked what the company did.  I said it made shirts.

I guess meaningless tees haven't made it here either.

You know, for a place where mosquitoes are practically the national bird, people really don't seem to know that you shouldn't scratch the damn bites.  People have been clawing themselves ever since the Hudø trip, and that really doesn't do any good...

Right, shower.  Then it's off to bang my head against a wall for an hour and a half, and then it's story time in the library at 8:00PM.   After that, who knows?  I might start producing a pheromone that is utterly irresistable to good-looking women!

Fingers crossed.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2008, 09:10:35 am »

Hahaha. Good luck!

Still, what's a shower partner means?  ???

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2008, 10:11:21 am »

Someone you go into the shower with to get dirty.

Shower partners are, in a word, lust.

If I'm being too vague, I mean a person who will have sex with you in the shower.

EDIT:  Oh, and chocolate-on-bread tastes a little bit like that time you thought corn flakes would go great with chocolate milk.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2008, 03:27:09 pm »

I feel strange with the knowledge that they fully expect for me to have completely integrated and made lots of friends, maybe even found other plans for vacation time.  Do you know what it's like, telling your parents that no, you don't have anyone to take along with you?
This seems quite strange to me. Haven't you been over there for something like 2 weeks? When I went to a new school without knowing anyone beforehand, I didn't expect at all to hang around with the new acquaintances outside school after only a few weeks. It took me almost that long to even find and get to (somewhat) know the people I later became friends with. I am quite a social person and I seem to get to know people rather quickly, but doing things during vacation together seems to require something like at least a month of getting used to. At least here in Finland.

Girls on the other hand are quite different. In the right circumstances things can happen quite fast (even here in the far north) and so I guess you mostly meant this with 'plans' during the vacation.

But still, I don't think that it's at all strange if you don't have anyone to take along with you.

P.S. I just ate a spreadable chocolate sandwich as a part of the "evening breakfast".

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2008, 04:58:03 pm »

I just have parents who overestimate me is all.  They would not be surprised in the slightest if I came back after two weeks with fifteen close friends and one long-term girlfriend.

Well, today was peculiar, but not overly interesting.  I have torn off the foul markings on the songbook's binding, but I didn't get a chance to burn them.  I really do want to do that.

Storytime was also slightly unusual.  I was the only male among about seven or eight people who decided to go (I guess having a children's story read aloud to you is not a popular young adult pastime), and there wasn't much tea water left.

I would like to take this opportunity to point out that Norwegian children's stories are remarkably different from American children's stories.  In a Norwegian children's story, a truck driver happens upon a whale-sized fish and decides to take his family on a trip around the world. 

Since it's not really that big a distance across the atlantic and pacific oceans, they manage to do this in fairly good time.

The truck driver has three children; an anorexic daughter, a boy addicted to soda, and a younger boy who urinates on vehicles.  By the end of the story, the daughter has (wonderfully) grown a double chin, and the young boy has long since promised never to piss in strange places again.  Soda-boy is still guzzling soda by the litres, and pissing it back out again in great detail.

These sun cycles are not healthy...

Official school day tomorrow.  I'll probably be spending a lot of time editing (or observing the editing of) the Hudø trip footage.  I've got classes all day, which isn't nearly as bad here as it is in other places.

Each session is about an hour long, with ten-minute breaks in between each session.  This is again broken by a one hour lunch break at 12:30.  There are five to six sessions in a day, all depending on if we have choir in the morning or if there's a special announcement that needs to be made.

Tee hee hee...  There are some plants decorating the tables in the cafeteria.  When we first came to the school, I don't think anybody knew what they were.  It took a few days after settling in before someone realized that they were peppers.

I don't know what kind of peppers they are, exactly...  The label just says "spanish peppers".  I do know, however, that they are very tasty and quite hot.  I've been impressing quite a few people by eating the things, as well as peppering (ha ha) the conversation with what little pepper lore I know.

Such as the fact that capsaicin (soft second "c"), the chemical that gives peppers heat, triggers a reaction that makes your body think it's on fire.  This in turn makes your body attempt to keep things under control by pumping endorphins into your system to serve as a painkiller.  Nature's morphine.

It is actually possible to get a pepper high, simply by triggering a serious enough response that you get an endorphin rush.

Ta.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2008, 08:56:19 am »

Well, that was fun.  I have proven that my sense of humor is most certainly not shared by the general populace of this fine establishment.  Either that, or it just gets lost in the translation.

Anyways, failed joke aside, it turns out that a setting on the camera we used out on Hudø got flipped.  This switch prevented any sound from being recorded. 

That means all the singing and laughing I and many others filmed is utterly silent.  At least I had the vision to take some shots that didn't require audio, but still...  Some of the best ones were clips of singing.

So, yeah.  There's going to be a lot of music overlay on the latter part of the Hudø film this year.

I've been maneuvering myself in the general direction of a particular girl today, with mixed results.  There was a slight mixup where I was waiting to see which table she would sit at, so I could take a seat at the same table before it filled up.  I miscalculated, and she sat down halfway across the room from me.

Still though, I was fortunate enough to end up at her table for breakfast today.  Many stolen looks commenced.

Do you have any idea how difficult it is to coordinate those things?  So that you happen to be looking at her the moment she happens to be looking at you?   The eye is one speedy little body part...

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2008, 09:01:40 am »

Do you have any idea how difficult it is to coordinate those things?  So that you happen to be looking at her the moment she happens to be looking at you?   The eye is one speedy little body part...

No need for the cloak and dagger maneuvering. I'd just ask if she'd like to hang out with you sometime. It's not that hard.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2008, 09:09:11 am »

Aaaaaah, but he's trying to be romantic, not sensible.

Anyway, what is she like and what does she do?

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2008, 09:15:11 am »

Aaaaaah, but he's trying to be romantic, not sensible.

Well in that case I can think of many things much more spontaneous and romantic.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2008, 09:53:38 am »

Aww, but I like it.  I want to carefully plan my movements so that I instill raging desire within her, and then I'll say something along the lines of indicating a returned interest.

Right.

Eeh, lemme put it this way:  I'm great with crowds, horrible with individuals.  I can shriek my name in a funny voice when attendance is being taken, I can make surprise dance movements while walking, I can do a "Shining face" around doors, I can pretend my sandwich is a piece of modern art at the breakfast table, and I can hypnotize myself with a carrot.  What I can't do is talk to people.

I can also fascinate people by eating a pepper.  I've really got to get the Pakistani student to try one of those things.

Yes, we have a token Paki.  He's ridiculously skilled, I haven't seen him do something yet that he wasn't good at.  And I've seen him playing ping-pong, playing guitar, singing, shuffling cards and doing card tricks.  Cards are supposed to be my area, dammit.  What's Pakistan to Vegas?

What's really funny is that although I can do that fancy double-shuffle, I didn't learn it in Vegas.  I just sat down at a table one day in Mexico during the vacation for my fifteenth birthday, and started shuffling.  Eventually, I got it.

Righto, it's off to wander I go.  I heard someone trying to play Back In Black in the music room earlier, which is always nice.

PRE-POST EDIT:  Posting has occurred while you wer writing this post, do you wish to A) Panic x) Review your post 3) Bhurma.

Torak, spontaneity does not necessarily equal romantic.  In any case, I would love to see you being romantic sometime.  That is not meant as an insult or a rejection of your point, I would just really like to see how you woo.

And I honestly can't remember what she does.  I think she might be in clothes design since there's a band-aid on her thumb, but I really don't know.  She's got nice eyes, a nice laugh, and an easy smile.  Works for me.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2008, 04:08:43 pm »

Well, had some luck earlier.  I was invited along for some chilling at this one girl's room while she put makeup on another.  Naturally this was a group affair, so there were about six of us.  Including Girl X.

So the makeup parlor is in full swing on one side of the room while the uninvolved do some YouTubing on the other bed.  I earn points by referring them to the works of Lasse Gjertsen.

A few minutes later it's seven of the clock, which is time for evening breakfast.  We all pick up and head out, but I'm taking a while to get along since I'm the only one who has to re-tie his/her shoes.  This has given Girl X a chance to grab her camera from her room.

This results in three things.  One, I find out her room's location.  Two, I have a fifty-fifty chance on her name (name placards on the door.  This is important, because I've been introduced to her before and can't for the life of me remember her name).  Three, I am included in a group photo with her friends.

Oh my, the excitement is nearly overwhelming, isn't it?

Eveningfast provided another chance for me to completely miss the table she decided to sit at.  I figured she was going to go to the same table as the rest of us.  She didn't.

Aaanyways, lemme tell you about another one of my jester events.

So I'm walking down the hall, on my way to do something in the main building.  Someone has been foolish enough to leave the door to their room open on my watch, and I can hear the giggling conversation of females coming from inside.

I set my pace, and prepare myself for the assault.  As I pass by the door, I turn my head to look inside.  I see them, reclining on their beds and bouncing slightly to reposition themselves more comfortably.  I give a wild-eyed grin and cackle madly as I pass.

Utter silence.  I have shocked them into speechlessness.  I continue on my path towards the door.  Behind me, there's a tentative laugh.  Probing.  Testing.

And then as I reach the door leading out of the hall, a helpless torrent of laughter floods out of the room.  My strangeness has once again brought joy to the world.  Packaged, as it usually is, along with a large helping of utter confusion.

That'll give them something to talk about.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2008, 10:24:24 am »

Hooph...   Can I get half a point for guts?

There were a couple billiard games in the rec room earlier, where she was playing alongside this one guy that I've seen her hanging out with before.  They seemed to be at least acquainted, if not together.  He was giving her directions on how to hold the stick and hit the balls.

Is it actually possible to mention anything about pool without unintentional innuendo?

Anyways, the guy was going off to do workout a bit and she figured that sounded like a good idea.  She was just going to pop back to the housing complex to change into ther workout clothes.

I figured this was probably going to be the only chance I'd get to talk to her alone.

I followed after her, and told her to wait up.  Bear in mind that I have absolutely no training or practice in this.  Not to mention the slight language barrier problem.

After a very brief hello-hello, I came right out with it and asked her if she was together with that guy.  She said no, and asked if it looked that way.  I don't know the word for "curious" in Norwegian, but I tried to convey that I just wanted to know.

Small period of slightly uncomfortable silence.

I ask her if she's together with anyone else.  She says no.  This is good, but is countered by the fact that I should probably be saying something.  She fills in the silence by inquiring into my own personal relationship status.  I say that I am unattached.  Have been, in fact, for a very long time.

Beh...  Might as well out with it.  I told her, so I'll tell you.  I haven't had a girlfriend since I was five years old (she was eleven.  I liked them older foxes).

She was naturally surprised, but not repulsed as I might have suspected.  Again, a good sign countered by the fact that I should really say something else.

But hell if I can muster the courage to put the floating pieces of unattached-ness together and suggest a mutual solution. 

Long period of rather uncomfortable silence.  Signs are mixed.  She's obviously uncomfortable, judging by the nervous laughs and glancing around, but she is waiting for me to say something else instead of just going away. 

But the silence stretches on too long, and the whole thing kinda fizzles.  She went off to get her workout clothes, and I went in the other direction to listen to some music and calm my nerves.  Now there's a half-completed arrangement clogging the works.  Hey, at least now I know she doesn't have a boyfriend!

/facetentacle

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2008, 10:31:10 am »

Bring a boom box and play... pretty much any Rick Astley song ever, that'll make her swoon.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 30