Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30

Author Topic: Sandy Fjord  (Read 92156 times)

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
Re: Sandy Fjord
« Reply #405 on: December 13, 2009, 09:50:10 pm »

Then why not leave Cuba>

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: December 13, 2009, 11:25:03 pm »

Because he's dedicated to this. Also I and others find it very interesting and amusing and therefore HE CAN NEVER LEAVE.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: December 14, 2009, 12:50:51 am »

Couldn't leave.  I'd have to pay for the flight back (with nonexistent funds), book a trip plan (without the use of a computer), and somehow acquire a permit to re-enter Havana.  Yes, you need an authorized permit to be in Havana.

Fun place.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: December 15, 2009, 06:30:32 pm »

Last Day, Finale.

Waking up on the second morning was noticeably less painful and constricting.  It's amazing the things a person can get used to in such a short amount of time.

Like, for instance, the agreement Hatman and I had struck when we first set up the auxiliary bed.

As I was getting up and pulling my things together, Hatman leveraged himself out of the pit he had created in the foam mattress, all the while spouting a litany of curses and complaints about what a foul and hideous creation it was.  He was preaching to the choir, of course, as I was the one who had to sleep on it the first night.

Breakfast was lackluster, as was to be expected.  So lackluster, in fact, that I not only have forgotten it, but the rest of the morning as well.  Very few meals are so unimpressive that they make you forget everything around it.

We started packing our stuff, but this was the day we were supposed to take the photo for the back of the yearbook (the Che monument fiasco picture was for the front of the book.  They wanted a shot of everyone in their swimwear running down to the water for the back cover) so I got out my trunks and tried to find some way, any way, of making such a photo actually worth looking at. 

Hatman did no such thing.  As he put it, nobody was going to take a picture of him wearing only his swimtrunks.  School photo be damned.

By my plans, this was just fine.  One thing is a picture of a group of people running down to the water in their swimwear.  Another thing is having a group of people running down to the water in their swimwear, plus some dude wearing shorts, a shirt and a hat.  I felt that having a fully-clothed individual thrown into the mix would spice things up a bit.  Luckily, we weren't expected to actually go into the water.  Just towards it.

Getting down to the beach, we found the rest of the students getting ready.  Some were in their bathing suits, some had forgotten about the photoshoot, and some just couldn't be bothered.  There was a bit of a discussions going on.

Apparently, some people were arguing that it simply would not do to have most of the people in suits, and then one or two individuals who looked like they hadn't even considered changing.  Apparently, some people are boring. 

But also very loud and firm in their beliefs, so difficult to contest with.

They managed to instate (with the approval of the teachers) a ban for all fully-clothed people to appear in the shoot.  "Fully clothed" apparently included the two 'Norwegian Ninjas' (and yes, I feel justified in using the incorrect plural in this case) from the Sabotage video from making an appearance.  John Smith, who was one of the ninjas and almost certainly the brainchild behind this idea, looked a bit put out.  And not without good reason, I might add.  The only thing that might have been better than having some fully-clothed people mixed in would be to have the two ninjas make a surprise appearance with their distinctive running.  But no, the dull had spoken, and ninjas were not to be.

With all life and creativity currently banned from the running (hurr hurr), I had to pick up the slack with some trickery.  I managed to blend in with my shirtlessness, allaying any suspicion that I might be in the clothing camp...   What they failed to notice was that I might have brought my hat along for more than just keeping the sun out of my eyes.

What followed were several takes, where everyone was so caught up with looking excited and happy while they ran that they failed to notice I was still wearing my hat.  And running backwards.

Unfortunately, it is damn near impossible to run backwards at any reasonable speed, particularly on sand.  I was eventually forced to run forwards, but I compensated for this by running with an exceptionally exaggerated and high-stepping gait.   Again, no one seemed to be bothered by the fact that I was apparently taking my hat for a swim.

Despite the ban, John Smith also ended up running.  We can only assume that the second ninja did as well, and that he had activated his secret Ninja Stealth so that he simply cannot be seen in the photo.  I'd much rather have an invisible Norwegian Ninja in my yearbook photo than not.  It gives a certain amount of distinction.

Since the picture is taken from the back, as we run away from the camera and towards the waves, everybody essentially just fades into a blur of swimsuits and flesh, with waving arms and heads of hair thrown in for good measure.  Only if you look carefully, and know what you're looking for, can you see the individuals who took part in the shot.

Except, of course, for two people...   One a scrawny, pale creature with an undershirt and tennis shorts, running with his arms thrust out behind him like wings, and the other a kid with long hair who looks like he's attempting to kick his own arse while running down to the water, and who is firmly pushing a fedora onto his head to keep it from blowing away.

Obviously, we were ruining the photo.  Shame on us.

After the shoot, we went back up to our rooms to change and sort out the final leg of packing.  This included some interesting logistics...

See, every person is allotted a certain quota of alcohol and tobacco that they can bring with them back into Norway.  Only so much and no more.  This may lead you to believe that people would simply stock up that much and then stop.  Silly you.

See, not everyone was as big of a smoker/boozehound as others.  This meant that they would pack an amount under the quota or, in my case, barely bring anything back.  And man, there was something akin to an inquisition going around to find out who had space left on their quota.

We became highly valuable to those who just needed those extra cigars and rum bottles.  We were, in a sense, mules.  And it became a race against time to root out those who had space and get them to promise the rest of their quota to you.  Favors were called in, coercion was used, and cold cash exchanged hands for the sake of extra carrying capacity.

Hatman personally used up three quotas of cigars for himself.  Tobacco quotas were easier to find, as not everyone was a smoker.  But everybody drank, so a teetotaler's luggage was prime real estate.  Prime.

Man, I really should've auctioned my quota or something...  As it was, I just promised it to Hatman.  That dude managed to haul away some serious amounts of swag from Cuba...

Once the ordeal of quota assignment, packing, and checking out were attended to, we hopped on the bus and headed out on the long trip towards the airport.  We bid our very fond farewells to Varadero, and to the hotel which seemed to think that one star meant "We're Number One!".  Then we were off.

We arrived at the airport at some time in the evening, and eventually made our way to the gates area where we had to wait for a while before our flight.  We were in a large area with various last-minute trinket shops and a food court, which is where we got our dinner from that night.  Our tickets included meal vouchers that allowed us one meal plus a drink.  The meals seemed to extend between burgers, pizza, and turkey sandwiches.  The turkey sandwiches looked like they had seen the revolution first-hand, and the burgers had simply given up on life.  I ordered a pizza, which apparently didn't have meat on it.

It's actually rather difficult to determine what it did have on it...  Some people said it was just cheese and ketchup, others tried not to think about it.  What it looked like was if someone had microwaved a tortilla with pus on it, and that they'd forgotten to take the plastic wrap off before it melted into everything else.

I'm serious.  I actually spent some time picking at it in an attempt to take the plastic off.  Then I realized that it was all just the pizza. 

It was at that moment that I wished I really wasn't so hungry.

The taste was marginally better than the appearance (I refuse to mention the smell.  That memory must be scourged from my mind.  Oh god, the smell...), which isn't really saying much.  But, hey, it was filling enough.  Plus I got a drink with it, and I happen to like the drinks.  So there.

With my 'meal' finished, I decided to check out the souvenir shop.  Throughout Cuba, I had not been able to find so much as a single Che shirt that was both my size and the right color.  Shocking as this was, there wasn't a whole lot I could do about it.  Seeing as this was the last hour or so I'd be in Cuba, I figured I might as well check the tourist shop.

It's worth noting that I never look at tourist shops or airport shops, as they tend to only sell overpriced items of inferior quality that I would never want anyways.  This shop was both a tourist shop and in an airport.  But the thought of leaving Cuba without so much as a single Che shirt was unfathomable.

And there it was.  The right color, the right pattern, the right size...  Everything except the right price.  But I had spent a minimum of my cash wad throughout the trip, so I had enough to spare.  After a bit of a hussle with the cashier (first they shortchanged me with US dollars, then there was a bit of a mixup involving the manager's pronunciation of certain numbers, and then I dropped my wallet and scattered coins across the floor...  I'd really rather not get into specifics) I managed to purchase the damned thing.  Man, did I feel good.

I returned to the table to find that Pirate-Goth had sat down at our table, and was showing off her bag of loot.  She'd accumulated a variety of objects over the course of her time in Cuba, all souvenirs to be given as gifts for various family members.  This included a little lace hat that was intended for some dear sweet Nanna or somesuch...  Naturally, everyone had to try it on.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

After she had displayed everything and explained the purpose and/or reason behind each item and its intended recipient, she made some comment about how she'd bought a souvenir to remember Cuba by for everyone she knows...  Except herself. 

Apparently, she'd put so much time and thought into getting everyone else a present that she hadn't gotten anything for her own memories.

I got up from the table and headed off without saying a word.  I apparently do this a lot, so nobody batted an eye.

I went back into the shop and started poking around a bit...  Most of the stuff was overpriced, Kitsch, or too fragile to take along for the trip.  After some contemplation, I finally settled upon a little handpainted wooden box of dominoes (very popular game in Cuba, there's always a table set up in the street somewhere with a bunch of old guys sitting around playing it).  I made my way back to the table with my new purchase, and plunked it down in front of her before I sat down.

"What's this?"

"For you."

"What?  What do you mean?"

"Well, you said you didn't have anything of your own to bring back from Cuba, so I thought I'd get you something."

What followed was a short exchange where she asked me how much it cost, and then tried vainly to convince me that I shouldn't have gotten it for her.  The smile on her face kinda gave her away though.

I was stretching my back when Hatman gave me a stealthy thumbs-up.  I didn't exactly need his observation to tell that she enjoyed it, but it's always nice to get a second opinion.  Unfortunately, having your diaphragm spontaneously clench from a halted chuckle while your back is bent over the back of a chair is not particularly comfortable.

A note about this area we were in...  It was the one single place I had seen, in the entirety of Cuba, that was a non-smoking zone.  There was a little room off to the side that was a smoking room, but other than that it was off-limits.

Also of note is that I wasn't able to fully exchange my money from CUC back to Euro.  I had a smattering of Cuban coins leftover that the dude (yes, dude) working the exchange counter refused to do anything about.  One of the gals sitting at the table decided to count out the leftover (I'm still not entirely sure why she felt the need to do this).  When she was finished, she pointed out the rather interesting fact that the total came up to the exact amount required for an ice cream cone.  I looked up at the sign for the ice cream vendor and, sure enough, it was the exact amount. 

I didn't purchase the ice cream cone, however, as the 'pizza' was starting to rebel within my central provinces.  Also, I'm just not that much of a sweet eater. 

I still have those coins...   Enough for one Cuban ice cream cone. 

Funny little souvenir.

End of Cuba.  Next up, the End Days.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: December 16, 2009, 04:33:17 pm »

The glorious return...

We got off the plane in Norway late enough in the evening for it to be dark.  My first act on Norwegian soil was to buy a bottle of water...   Best purchase I'd made in a very long time.  I was still recovering from the Cuban water rationing, and taking two long flights in quick succession with that dry airplane air doesn't exactly help matters.

While we were waiting around for the buses to come by and pick us up, I found out that one of the F&TV guys was going to be skipping out early, taking a ride back home instead of getting on the bus with us.

His girlfriend of some time had cancer, and she had apparently gotten worse sometime around the Cuba trip.  He was going to shave off what little remained of the school year so he could be with her.

<<She passed away just a couple weeks ago, on the 3rd.  Going through something like that has got to be hell, especially for someone so young.  The poor guy was wrecked.>>

We said our goodbyes, wished him the best, and then went our separate ways.

Arriving back at the school, I set about unpacking my various essentials.  This left me with a few mountains of laundry and a landscape of bags spread out across the floor of my room.  I had managed to clutter up the entire room in a matter of seconds.  Even I was impressed.

Speaking of laundry, I should probably mention that throughout the Cuba trip, we were not afforded an opportunity to wash our clothes.  Although this was fine early on, it started getting to be a bit tricky in the later stages, as a portion of every morning was spent trying to figure out which clothes were not quite as dirty as the others.

Ahh, yes...  Home again, home again.  Cuba was fine and all, but I was very happy to be back in a place with pressurized showers (with real heated water!) and washing machines.  Even *if* one of the washing machines was busted, and one of the showers happened to have a window installed in it...

Opening up my bags, I retrieved the booze and cigars I had smuggled across for Hatman.  Hatman was also particularly glad to be back in the colder climes, as it allowed him to use his preferred wardrobe without the danger of heat stroke (he had received a new trenchcoat just before we took off for Cuba, and he was mightily crestfallen when he discovered it would be much too warm to wear in such a tropical environment.  But, back in Norway, he was able to parade around in his new digs while maintaining a perfectly comfortable temperature. 

What a sight.

Not exactly a lot to report for that day, mostly just people cleaning themselves up after Cuba and trying to restore some of their energy for the party that was coming up.

Yes, the party.  With so little time left of the school year, the committee decided that it needed to get some hardcore festivities set up to end the year with a bang, so they lined up a party for the day after we got back from Cuba. 

Now, as I'm sure you all know by now, I'm not a particular fan of these things.  But I felt that this one was different, seeing as it was the last party of the year, a chance to hang with the gang one last crazy time before we had to say our fond farewells, and-...

Okay, so mostly it was an opportunity to talk to Pirate-Goth, with the added benefit of alcohol consumption to (hopefully) make things go smoother.  Call me petty, but I really just don't get a whole lot from these excursions.  Drinking isn't one of my strong points.

That just about does it for the day of return.  Not much to say about people trying to piece themselves back together after a trip to Cuba.

Next up, the party...  Also known as 'the Cataclysm'.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: December 19, 2009, 08:35:53 pm »

As with any other day, this one started at some point. 

Aside from that useful factoid, I remember very little of that day prior to the evening.  There may very well have been something interesting, but I think it was mostly just filled with appreciating Norwegian cuisine and all-you-can-drink water.

Or at least it would be, if the water dispenser had been fixed.  Which it hadn't.

Anyways, evening.  The school was positively buzzing with excitement at an opportunity to consume all their hard-bought Cuban rum, and also to make the most out of what was to be the last  school party.  This was also a chance to end the near-drought of ten days spent in Cuba under a teetotaler rule (I say near-drought, as these students were remarkably resourceful when it came to consuming alcohol on the sly).

You might even say that some people were a little too excited about drinking, as at least one noted individual cracked open a six-pack the instant he sat down on the bus.

Mind you, this meant that he was technically drinking on school property, and could've been kicked out for it.  But none of the other revelers felt particularly inclined to point him out to the authorities, luckily enough.

We eventually made our way to the party place, which happened to be the same spot as the last party.  This was the first time during the entire school year where we had been allowed to rent out the same place, and it was a close call at that.

If you recall, our last outing to this location had resulted in a dislodged vent, some mangled electrical wiring, and someone hiding a piece of the coffee machine.  Not to mention a few disturbed neighbors, and the fact that we had utterly failed to follow the one rule of turning the music off (down) after 1 AM.

The landlady had been rather upset with us, but after we had taken a couple rounds of collection  to pay for the damages, and after the spokesperson of the committee had worked his ineffable charms on her, she agreed to take a different viewpoint.  She still wasn't particularly happy, but she decided to forgive us enough that we could come back again.  The committee urged us to respect her kindness and be a bit more careful this time around.

This, of course, had about the same level of effectiveness as telling a pebble to do sit-ups.  I'm still not entirely sure who took that door off its hinges, but I seriously doubt that the landlady was too happy about the impromptu renovation when she found out about it...

The evening started like any other, with people immediately spreading out to find some place to claim as a sleeping reservation.  I scouted out a couple spots in the hopes of finding a nice, secluded little area, but every time I found someplace, there was already a sleeping bag laid out in preparation.  But, once my head started working, I remembered the little sweet spot I had used last time...  Sure enough, there it was, the little heated cubbyhole at the bottom of the stairs.  Jackpot(-ish).

After staking out my accommodations, I ventured back up into the world of party and did my usual schtick of being completely out of place.  This time, however, I actually got around to placing myself in a conversation with a couple other people, whereupon I got to hear all about the detailed significance of this one chick's inverted cross necklace, and also got to be pegged by some dude's wildly inaccurate stereotyping (making assumptions about my personality based on hair length).  Actually rather fun.

At one point, as I was standing around meaninglessly, I was approached by a gal I'd never seen before.  She told me I looked rather alone (about as close a translation as I can get), what with how I was standing about.  I informed her that, well, that's kinda how I roll.  We ended up chatting for a bit, and then she got pulled away for something.  Apparently, someone had decided to invite a friend to the party.  That was...   Unexpected.  But I daresay she was somewhat interested in me (or at least intrigued by), what with approaching me with a line like that.

As the night wore on, I eventually found myself sitting with a few of the other lads.  Not much was going on, when a newcomer suddenly appeared at the other end of the table we were at.

Drops.

I'd heard before that he was thinking about coming, but this confirmed it without a shadow of a doubt.  The night was now guaranteed to have something interesting come out of it.  And it was only moments later that the guarantee was fulfilled.

Drops wasn't really much of one for parties, but he knew that they were things were a lot of people go to one place, whereupon they start drinking, dancing, and playing fun games.  So far, so fine.

Well, apparently someone had neglected to inform him what exactly is meant by a "drinking game".  For you see, Drops, in an attempt to come prepared for a roaring good time, had brought some games. 

Namely, Clue and Scrabble.

This revelation filled me with warmth and joy.  I knew now that, with people like Drops in the world, life would never lose that little spark of mystery and excitement.  No, he was going to make damn sure that we would all go completely bingo-boingo crazy before anything like that ever happened.

As the night wore on, however, I became increasingly aware of Pirate-Goth, and what I wanted to say.  As per usual, however, it was remarkably difficult to find a quiet moment with her.

Hatman, aware of my plight and on a quest of his own, decided to aid me in the only way he knew how:  Offering me some whiskey.

I was still not a drinker, having only consumed a few sips of various alcoholic beverages over the past year, but I felt that if there ever was a time/place to start drinking, then this was one of them.  I took a couple slugs from the bottle he recommended.  I still have flashbacks now and then about the burning sensation of it going down my throat.

Speaking of which, Ballantine's tastes like friggin' cough syrup.

With the whiskey working its magic inside my system (and crapping fire into my throat), I was closer to working up the required level of abdominal contents in order to just open up to her. 

I also happened to observe Hatman bump into her on one of his bumbles around the establishment and trade a couple words.  I couldn't tell what they were talking about, but later on he happened by me and thrust a thumbs-up at me. 

I asked him what exactly he meant by that.  He shrugged and slurred out "I don't know" before shambling off to get some more whiskey.  I interpreted the thumb as a sign that he had broached the subject with her, and that signs were favorable.  I probably should have interpreted the "I don't know" as well.

So, a short time later, I managed to find an opportunity, and sat down next to her.  I leaned over.

Looking back at this moment, I am still astonished at just how idiotic some of the things I say can be.

Me: "Hey want to hear a secret?"

Her: "Uh, alright"

Me: "Maybe someplace a little more quiet?"

Her: "Aww , I'd rather not.  I'm having fun"

Me: (long pause)

Me: (leaning in close to whisper in ear)  "I think I'm falling for you"

I remember that moment clearly.  The look that came over her face, the tone of her voice, the way she turned to look at me.

Her:  "Oh no, not now..."

She went on to talk about how it was so late in the game to even be thinking about stuff like that, and how it was a time when we should really just be trying to push any serious thoughts from our minds and make the most out of the few days we had left.  She explained how she considered us to be friends, nothing more or less.  She told me how much it pained her to be turning me down, but she couldn't in good conscience say yes just for my sake, as lying in such a way would be a far greater evil against me.

I listened, patiently.  Understanding most of what she had to say, agreeing with it even.  I waited for her to finish letting me down, then excused myself.

I wasn't surprised or shocked.  What got me the most was that I had seen it coming, seen it coming for ages.  And yet I had, knowingly and determinedly, gone against those observations and carried through with it.  Even when I sat down to bare my heart to her, I could clearly see what was going to happen.  Her tone of voice, her movements, the look in her eyes, they all told me that there was nothing to be found here.

I'm still not completely sure of why I chose to do it...  If I simply doubted my observations (which had proven wrong on many prior occasions) and decided that the potential reward was worth the risk, or if I somehow felt it would make me grow as a person to be rejected one more time.  Perhaps some deep, twisted part of me even wanted to be rejected, to feel again that all-consuming ache of a scorned heart.  I really can't say.

I went into one of the bathrooms.  Even in my state, the iconic situation of a heartsick individual sitting and crying into a piece of toilet paper was not lost on me, and I was able to garner a small smile from the whole ordeal.  Also from the poor gal who went into the stall next to me and wrung her stomach out into the john.  Some people have difficulty holding their liquor, whereas I have trouble handling my sobriety.  Cute.

I can't say I felt great coming out of there, but I at least felt better.  Good enough that I was willing to insert myself back into the world outside, for the sake of someone who might really need to actually use the toilet.

Upstairs, I ran into Beefcake's girlfriend, who if you recall also happens to be X's roommate and the gal whose hands I warmed up on the island trip, way back when.  She asked me how I was doing.  I tried just brushing her off with a "not great", but after she prodded me for a bit I eventually spilled it.

I told her everything. All of it.  Classic life story.  From getting rejected Pirate-Goth (whose name I withheld), to the whole deal with X, even to my first girlfriend who dumped me when I was four years old.  I confided in her, for some reason. 

And you know, I couldn't have picked a better person for it.

She comforted me, giving me the standard spiel of stating my virtues and how lucky a person would be to have me, but she also let me in on a few secrets of her own.  I feel like it would be a violation of her trust if I were to talk about them here, so suffice to say that they opened my eyes in regards to a few different people and also gave me a closure that I didn't know I needed or could have.  She also informed me that, someday, I was going to release a music album and that she was going to be first in line to buy a copy.  Silly as that was, it helped.  And for her help, I will always be grateful.

Also, she gave me her mojito.  Score.

Not long after that, I felt like a massive weight had lifted from me.  I'm not entirely sure if it was the alcohol I had consumed, or the words of encouragement I had just received, or if it was something I managed to come across on my own, but I felt pretty good.  Pretty damn good, all things considered.  Pretty sure the mojito helped though.

I'd just realized that I didn't actually feel that way towards Pirate-Goth.  I felt nothing of the same cloud that had hung over me with X, and I felt perfectly clean and clear.  Certainly, it still hurt to be rejected, but I didn't feel like I'd just been scorned by something I truly desired.

I had made a mistake.  For whatever reason, I had deluded myself into thinking that I was infatuated with the poor girl.  But then I understood that it was just an illusion, that I truly and honestly did not feel that way about her.  This made me feel pretty good, not just because I no longer felt scorned but also because that meant there might be some slim chance of actually salvaging this whole debacle.

But I'd worry about that later...  First, I would do my best to experience what it was like being drunk, as this was also the first time in my life that I had gotten a bit tipsy.  Several slugs of whiskey (after hearing about the rejection, Hatman offered me another shot at depleting his supplies) and a Cuban-rum mojito are not half bad for someone who's never really had a drink before in his life.

In the foreground, we see the back of Brain-damaged Loverboy's head, as he is enthusiastically telling me about something.  Then, in the background, we see the table which has been repositioned in order to prop up the door to the walk-in fridge.  Yes, prop it up.  Someone managed to detach it.

On the table you can see all the drinks that were pulled out of the fridge before it was table-sealed.  The cup closest to me is what's left of the pint of mojito she gave me.

I will admit to one thing that I am by no means proud of...  I'm not entirely sure where to insert it, as the timeline of the party is a little bit hazy for me, and also because I don't think it really fits in anywhere...  So I'll put it here.

At one point, I found the gal who had approached me earlier in the evening...  She was sitting by herself off to one side and looked like she'd had a few.  I'm still amazed that I would ever conceive to do this, but I started trying my luck to see if I could get laid.

I went up to her and repeated the line she'd given me earlier, about how she looked rather alone.  Her eyes drifted over to my location and she smiled absently before floating back into the half-conscious stupor she had been in.  Apparently, she'd had quite a few.

It finally dawned on me what it was I was trying to do, and I got up to leave her alone.  I'm still ashamed that I would even consider something like that, but at least I left off when it turned out that she was about as aware as a bar of Ivory soap. 

I spent the rest of the evening looking at my hands as I waved them through the air (marveling at the delay between thought and movement, and also how fluid all movements seemed to be), finding straight lines to walk along, drinking water compulsively and fixing that #%^ door every time some new twit moved the table away to get inside, not realizing that all their stuff was already lying on the table they'd just moved.

Eventually, I felt it was time to check out for the night.  It was far later than I had ever stayed awake at one of these things, but still a rather early time for most of the partygoers.  I cuddled up in my little hiding place, cranked up the heater, and tried to shut down the internal systems for the night.

But, of course, there had to be a catch.

A group of students was sitting one the landing directly above me, happily chittering away about something.  The giggles and comments were interspersed by the excited boomings of a voice I knew just a little too well...  My ex-roommate, the Idol.

I tried to block that voice out and just go to sleep, or hope that they'd eventually find a new spot to haunt, but no.  Nobody moved, or even turned down the volume.

Indeed, the shouts and guffaws of the Idol were soon accompanied by the blarings of his phone as he played children's techno remixes at full volume.  Repeatedly.

Eventually, I'd had enough.  I walked up the stairs and informed them that there happened to be someone who was trying to sleep underneath them, and could they please keep it down.  Most of them offered mild apologies, or even started picking themselves up to relocate.  Except for one.

My former roommate, completely oblivious to the fact that I was even there (or simply ignoring me), had started up that damn song for the fifth time running, and was still laughing just as hard at it.  He even pulled back a couple of the others so that they could still listen to his phone.

I repeated myself to him.  No response, not even a glance at me.  Just that silly little tune.  He wasn't laughing as hard though, almost as if some minor thing were distracting him from full enjoyment.

Then I lost it.

"MOVE YOUR GODDAMN ASS BEFORE I MOVE IT FOR YOU."

...DAMN that felt good!  All that time spent loathing him and his idiotic little ways, and the way everyone seemed to adore him even though I could fathom not a single reason to do so, all that frustration was let out by giving him a good yell.  Man, I'd wanted to yell at him for so long, it wasn't even funny...

And it got a reaction, too.  He stopped laughing.  The phone kept going, but he was now letting himself be pulled up by the other students in order to go somewhere else.  A couple people made halfhearted remarks about 'Ooh, someone's unhappy', but I could see that I'd scared them a bit.  Made me feel even better.

With them now officially heading off somewhere else, I graciously thanked them for their understanding in the matter and started off back down the stairs. 

All throughout the ordeal, my roommate didn't look at me a single time.

Feeling pretty good with myself, and eagerly awaiting the next day, I went back into my bag in an attempt to find some measure of sleep.  Which isn't exactly easy, what with having my head five feet from the restroom and with the people upstairs still being incapable of understanding the intricacies of "lower volume after 1 AM".

Pretty sure the mojito helped though.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: December 21, 2009, 06:21:03 pm »

Waking up the next day was remarkably pleasant.  Especially considering I had just spent the night in a sleeping bag at the bottom of a set of stairs, with my head lying only a few feet from the bathroom door (I got stepped on once by The Bear.  He spent the next five minutes apologizing profusely, then commented on what a happening party it was.  Fun bloke, he is).

I had a little shadow of a headache nibbling at the back of my head, but that was the entirety of my hangover-like effects.  For a first time drinker, I had gotten off pretty damn lucky.  It would seem that my inebriated habit of drinking large quantities of water paid off.

I was also feeling rather happy about getting the chance to tell Pirate-Goth my revelation, and hopefully explain myself in a way that might save whatever remained of our friendship.  She had stated during her speech that we could talk later, after getting back from the party and recovering a bit, so I respectfully kept from rushing straight over to her and spilling the whole deal.  Besides, I felt it might lend some credibility to the admittedly suspicious story ("can't we just be friends?") if I held off for a while.

And in any case, when I did catch a glimpse of her that morning, she didn't look particularly capable of taking in much of anything.  I daresay she consumed a bit more than I had that night.

After packing up my bags, I wandered around for a bit until I managed to find Hatman scraping himself off the floor in one corner of the building.  He looked like he'd been beaten with all manner of household appliances, but was helped by the fact that he was not merely hung over, but still slightly drunk as well.  He'd apparently been drinking so far into the night that it hadn't had time to clear out of his system yet.  And, after observing a few of the other patrons, it seemed like he wasn't the only one.

We spent a few minutes discussing life philosophy out in the sun.  It was actually a rather warm and sunny day, with clear skies above the little battlefield that inevitably gets left behind after some traditional Norwegian partying.

So, a destroyed fridge and a heating unit which had mysteriously stopped functioning (not the one I was sleeping next to!  I always treat mechanical devices with the utmost care and respect...  Yeah), not to mention leaving the other tenants not merely disturbed but downright frightened.  Also, I think someone may have gummed up the oven, or stolen one of the cookplates or something...

All in all, I think we did a pretty good job of toning things down this time.

The bus ride back was noticeably quieter than the one coming out, due to a combination of heavy hangovers and the uncomfortable silence of new truths.  Yes, that's right folks, looks like I wasn't the only one to take a chance that night, and certainly not the only one to get burned by doing so.

From all accounts, that night was a steaming pile of drama that reached up out through the roof itself.  Hearts laid bare, and an assortment of odd pairings so wide that you could munch popcorn to their fumblings for a week or more.  Yes, looks like we all got to have our fair share of problems that night.  I guess the whole "last party of the school year" feeling took hold of a few other people. 

The bus made a quick stop along the way to let a few of us off.  A few people, notably those who had managed to stay drunk throughout the whole night and into the morning, had decided to head over to the sound dude's place to keep the buzz going for a while longer.  There's no sense in letting a good night stop just because the sun came up, right?

Personally, I'd had my share of partying.  I had gotten tipsy for the first time in my life, and although I found the experience to be interesting and even a bit enjoyable, I realized that it really just wasn't my style.  Which, of course, just means that there's more booze available for everyone else.

By the time we got back to school, the day had already gotten a bit colder and a few clouds had moved in from overhead.  This happened to perfectly suit the mental atmosphere that the drained revelers brought back.  The day quickly turned into a gloomy and depressing zone, with a powerful mixture of emotions sucking the very life out of the air.  To start with, you had the uncomfortable silence from all the off-target confessions of desire, but on top of that were the people who had come back realizing that they had just experienced the final Skiringssal party night, and that the grand day of goodbyes was not long off. 

This cocktail of feelings served to cast a very dark shadow over the school.  I could almost swear that a light fog even started to roll in.

Now, oddly enough, I happen to thrive in these environments, so I was feeling just fine.  Weird little bastard, ain't I?

And then...  The key.   Refer to this post, and the following, if you have any questions.

Man, that was just awesome.  Decidedly less awesome that I got caught, but ah well.  I did my part to help restore some life to the downtrodden Casanevers and nostalgics...  Shame that the authorities found out so quickly and took it down, I daresay it would've made a few more people smile.

Oh, how I wish I could've recorded that phone call with the VP...   It was funny, being handed the phone and deciding "you know what?  I don't feel like being intimidated by this dork, so I won't".  What even funnier was listening to him rant on about this thing while I remained perfectly nonchalant.

I did so love shaking their cute little visions of power...  They have the most adorable expressions when you completely ignore any authority they try to push on you.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: December 22, 2009, 07:04:52 pm »

Sunday (the day after the day after) is mostly blank for me.  But then again, I doubt that a whole lot was happening in any case.

I decided not to worry too much about getting up early.  I didn't have any classes or seminars, and the only thing I really needed to get up for was the meeting the VP had demanded. And if he really wanted to talk to me so early, he could come and get me himself.

So I spent a rather comfortable morning sleeping in before wandering into the lobby area and sitting down with a guitar to pass the time.  I hadn't been sitting there long before the VP came along, preparing for the biking 'seminar' he was leading.  He noticed me and motioned me to follow him to his office.

It still surprised me that I managed to pop the recorder on my phone while I was walking behind him, check to make sure it was recording, then place it smack dab in the middle of the desk without him batting an eye.

In order to accomplish this, I needed to be relatively close to the desk.  The guest chairs were both backed up against the opposite wall.  This was interesting, as they were close enough to be able to talk to someone, but were up against a wall and far enough away from the desk to create a psychological effect that would make whoever was sitting there feel somehow weaker and less secure than the person behind the desk.

I pulled a chair up and sat as close to the desk as I could.  Now he couldn't feel like he was safe in his little desk-fortress, as I happened to be right there with him.  I relaxed as much as I could in the rather lackluster chair, and waited for him to begin.

We went over a few different things relating to the "incident", including one topic that I knew was going to be a difficulty...  Namely, the location of the key.

Now, this was a nasty one...  If I'd just left well enough alone (I'd like to state here that it was someone else's suggestion that I go back in and try to fix the blasted thing.  I blame him fully for my own stupidity) I wouldn't have to deal with this...

See, the first time I was there, the door was open with the key in the lock.  No problem getting in.  But after that there was the issue of how I got back in, as they had locked the door again after they went in to turn off the computer, and I was trying to convince him that I didn't have the key.

I really could have handled it better, but I managed to semi-convince him that I had left the key in the lock the first time, and that someone else must have picked it up and then unlocked it later (thus allowing me to find the door yet again unlocked so I could fiddle with it).  Shitty story, I know, but it was the best I had at the time. 

It worked then, but I knew that it would fall apart with any real investigation because I had locked the door from the inside when I was in there the second time.  This means that the helper had to unlock it in order to find me in there.  And this is one of those simple locks that doesn't have the little twist-thingy on the inside, you need the key.

If anyone had asked him (and if he remembered) then he would have been able to tell them that I must've had the key.  Also, he was a dick with no sense of humor, so he probably would have no problem with ratting me out.

After that one rocky patch, the rest of the conversation was mine.  I laughed in his face, inferred that he considered his students to be mentally retarded, apologized by saying I didn't realize he lacked a sense of humor and took what I wrote literally, and convinced him that I had pulled a "white hat" and messed up the announcement board only to show the staff that there was a security liability (partially true).

He responded by letting me go on my way, and even canceling the secondary meeting I was supposed to take with the principal on Monday.

...unless, of course, I wanted to go through with it.  It was entirely up to me.

Felt pretty good after that.  I was a little disappointed that he had calmed down since our chat on the phone, but he managed to make a fool of himself a couple times anyways (for instance, suggesting they fix the key-in-lock negligence problem by upgrading the lock), and I felt pretty fly for having gone head-to-head with one of the more powerful administrative elements of the school and gotten out on top.

The recording I got from that event is actually a bit lame, but I still like having it...  A little memento from the final days, if you will.

Speaking of days, it was now fully a day after the party, and I started trying to get Pirate-Goth's attention.  No such luck, she was still avoiding me.  Ah well...  Guess I'd just have to spend my time telling people about my announcement-tweaking escapades...  Heh heh.

Still though, the end of the year was getting closer and it would be nice to clear things up with her before then...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: December 22, 2009, 07:53:54 pm »

The next few days showed a worsening in that trend.  It became quite clear that she was actively avoiding me.  I could understand that, even sympathize, but I felt that she didn't have the full picture.  She still didn't know about the so-called revelation I had experienced regarding my true feelings towards her, so I felt she was avoiding something that didn't even exist (that I would try to talk her into giving me another chance or something, when what I really wanted to say was that I specifically didn't want that).

I realized that it wasn't a great time to push the issue, but I wanted, no, needed to resolve this before the school ended.  I couldn't bear the thought of not being able to say goodbye to her as a friend.  I really could have handled this better, but the desperation of the time limit made me do some things that, hopefully, I wouldn't have done otherwise.

Every time I ran into her on the school grounds she was walking quickly on her way to do something, and showing absolutely no intention of even slowing down.

I tried writing text messages to her (filling out the character limit on two and a half messages, so I had to store them in drafts until I could send them as a group.  I did all this without the aid of a word-completer, as I had never quite figured that thing out.  My thumbs were crying out in agony after that.  Guess I had a lot to say).  There was no response, so I assumed she had simply disregarded them instead of reading them and finding out about my position.

I eventually resorted to camping out at a spot I knew she would come to sooner or later.  Outside her room.

I waited for about a half-hour before she showed up.  When she did arrive, she was obviously ticked off with me for placing myself in her vicinity again, and went about her business quickly while avoiding eye contact.  I said that she couldn't just push this aside indefinitely.  I asked her if she had even read the messages, and she responded with a very curt 'yes'.  I didn't really have much more to say that wasn't covered in the messages, and I realized that I wouldn't be getting anywhere helpful with this meeting, so I left.

That evening, I received a text message from her, telling me how frustrated and embarrassed with me she was with all the hounding.  She mentioned how the phrase "we need to talk" had only ever been said to her by her parents, when she had done something wrong.  She said that, if I really didn't have any feeling for her, then what was there to talk about?  Nothing.  And so, we should do exactly that.  Nothing.

And that was it.  It was over.  I had tried my darnedest to say my piece, to make myself clear, and I'd done more harm than good.  So I did the only thing left to do.  I let her go.

It hurt like hell.  Still does, actually.  Keeping quiet, when I still felt that if she only understood then things would be alright again. 

We had contact two times after that...  Once when she asked me to sign her yearbook, "for old time's sake" (I took this opportunity to give her something I had found in the 'lost and found' bucket they had out at the end of the year...  One of the domino pieces from that kit I got her), and once at the very end when we said goodbye.

When she reached out to give me a goodbye hug, I thought that maybe, just maybe, I could actually say goodbye to her as a friend...  But then I made some comment about how if she was ever singing in Vegas (all the big acts play in Vegas at some point) that she should drop me a line, and I saw that pained expression of hers appear again.  She'd hugged me only because of the moment, and for the "old times".  And, maybe, even out of pity.

That, more than anything, is what broke my heart. 

In the entire year, I had promised myself one thing, that I would say goodbye to her on good terms, and I had failed to keep that one promise.  She was the first friend I ever truly lost. 

We haven't spoken since.

And so ended my year at Skiringssal...  It may seem like a bit of a sour note, but for my one failure I had many more victories.  All the friends I had gathered around me, all the people I had touched in some way or another, all the good times that were remembered in that last huddle of weeping eyes and arms reaching for the warmth of a friend.

I bid farewell to the gal I had played Gnomeuncle to, and through her tears she insisted that she would pay me back for the ice cream cone I sponsored for her in Cuba. 

I informed the gal I had been scaring that she had finally managed to get revenge on me at the last party (she had snuck up behind me and succeeded in getting me to jump.  I felt it important to confirm that for her as we went our separate ways).

I squeezed Beefcake's girlfriend in a parting hug, and she thanked me yet again for warming her hands on the island, and made me give my word that I'd let her know when I released my first album.

Finally, I said my goodbyes to the gang, who were all valiantly trying to hide the fact that they were crying just as hard as everyone else.

I ended up being the last one to leave the school...  I don't know what felt stranger, leaving it for the last time or being there when no one else was around.  Well, not exactly 'no one'...  The kitchen ladies had all come out to enjoy a cup of coffee in the fresh air, so I got to talk with them a bit (and say goodbye to them personally).  I even ended up giving them the leftover tin from one of the many relief packages I had gotten, so they could remember me whenever they happened to bring out the cookies (or whatever they chose to stick in there).

Well, I could certainly think of worse ways to go.  I mean, heck, I've still got that key.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: December 23, 2009, 01:17:36 am »

Special Thanks
===============

The Bear
...for being the lovable, insane, happy, drunken, adorable mascot that you were.

Sound Dude
...for opening my eyes to the importance (and badassity) of sound technicians,
 and also showing me that even death-metalheads can have a deep
appreciation of Pink Floyd and the Tristram theme from Diablo.

The Greek
...for reminding me that you really shouldn't
judge someone just because they happen
to be the third point of the triangle you're in.

The Brit
...for helping me appreciate drummers more fully, thus
expanding my range of musical enjoyment.  Also, for being
an absolutely hilarious person to argue with.

Gnomeniece
...for managing to get into a situation that allowed me
to exercise my White Knight skills.  Twice.

Psycho Theater Dame
...for showing me that a little insanity goes a long way,
and that life can always get more interesting.

Puppydog Girl
...for agreeing to play the lead role in our short film,
failing spectacularly to hold a straight face while doing so,
and generally being "Very hard not to like".

BEEFCAKE
...for loving yourself enough for the both of us,
yet being a rather alright chap in your own right.
Even if you did think Rihanna was rock.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: December 23, 2009, 01:17:54 am »

Beefgirl
...for being one of those people that can light up
your day just by remembering that you met them.
Also for being there to help me out when I needed it,
for mixing a mean mojito, and for helping Beefcake
become a person almost as good as he seems to
think he is.

Roomie
...for proving that, yes, there is a lowest common denominator.

Paki-man
...for proving that, yes, there is an even lower common denominator.

Drops
...for proving that, yes, there is a lowest uncommon denominator as well.

Brain-Damaged Loverboy
...for his amazing ability to remain a Casanova,
even with his appearance, mannerisms, intellect
and total disregard for "personal space".
I guess it really is just about the confidence.

The Gang
...for being the wild and crazy bunch of hooligans
that you were, and for helping me enter into a normal,
social world where people hang underwear in trees
and sing about miso soup at the top of their lungs.

Hatman
...for showing me that first impressions (not just mine)
are rarely a good judge of character, for his work on
co-authoring the John Smith song, and for being
a true friend.

John Smith
...for bringing a little more hippie love into the world,
for serving to unite us against a cruel system of injustice,
for being the krazy glue that held us together,
and for being generally awesome.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: December 23, 2009, 01:18:17 am »

X
...for helping me realize that sometimes
losing in the short term will grant you a greater
victory later on.  Or at least make it that
much sweeter.

Pirate-Goth
...for teaching me how to play billiard, for being a shoulder
to whine on, for being fluent enough in English to help me
through the early periods, for helping me learn that a little
kindness goes a long way, for teaching me that sometimes
the best and/or only thing to do is nothing, and for flattering
me in a way that she never even realized.

Yours Truly
...and, finally, I'd like to thank myself.  I'd like to thank myself for charging ahead into the unknown,
even when I felt like I was a moment away from shattering.  For banging my head against the brick wall
of my own insecurities, and getting through it with a skull that hopefully wasn't as thick as when I started.

I'd also like to thank myself for slogging through the writing of this record
of my time at Skiringssal, for laying my mind bare, and for expressing my thoughts,
which were in so dire a need for release.

But, most importantly, I'd like to thank you all for reading this. 
For respectfully not ragging on me (too much) during my times of weakness, for putting up with my cyberwhining,
and for apparently finding my life interesting enough to keep reading about it. 

...all six of you.

Good night everybody, glad to have had you along for the ride.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: December 23, 2009, 01:22:21 pm »

It's good to see this through to the finish. Want to know something that scares me? I had limewire running through my playlist, and as I got to the Special Thanks part, this song came on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGZ0mDQc3rQ. I started laughing at the perfectness.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: December 24, 2009, 02:35:53 am »

Okay, I've enjoyed most of this, but reading the last few posts has made me have one thing to say:

Goddamnit Kagus stop being such a white knight. Seriously. You wanted to get laid. That's not a bad thing. I'm a nice guy, and although I have a girlfriend and all I realize how hard it is for nice guys to get girlfriends because it was like that for me for a long time, accepting that you want sex sometimes isn't going to turn you into an asshole.

Sorry if this sounded harsh. I'm trying to help. Maybe you have some deep reason for it, but I just hate the whole "you're a nice but lonely guy that girls like but don't want to be with or" "you're a dick who gets laid but nobody really likes" thing. And it looks to me like you've positioned yourself firmly on the nice guy side, only ever wanting a relationship and all that. But if you keep trying to live by that stereotype you're just going to end up hating yourself. There is a middle ground.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: December 24, 2009, 02:52:15 am »

Well, you see, if I'm going to try and take advantage of someone who's had a little too much to drink, I'll at least have the self-respect to do it with someone who isn't comatose.  Yes, I realize that that's a specific instance, but I still felt I should point it out...

Furthermore, it really just wasn't what I wanted.  It wasn't so much that I realized I wanted to have sex (freakin' Nobel prize for advances in the field on that discovery, Kagus), but that I was reaching out frantically in a vain attempt to get *something* before the year was over.  The sex wasn't the thing, it was the concept of getting some before the year ended.  My mind just freaked out.

When I realized I was essentially trying to use whoever was at hand to satisfy my own personal hangups, I just left off and tried to enjoy what was left of the evening.  I realize that my original wording was a bit unclear on that, but I had been going back and forth on the prospect of posting any of that incident at all, and it eventually ended up getting added on as an afterthought (with a lead-in, of course...  I take my afterthoughts very seriously, dontcha know).
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30