Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 30

Author Topic: Sandy Fjord  (Read 91385 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Sandy Fjord
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2008, 11:24:55 am »

I don't think she knows the city any better than I do.  Most of the people at the school aren't from Sandefjord.

And I didn't learn guitar basics on an acoustic or classical, because I didn't want to play acoustic or classical.  I wanted to play electric.  All three have distinct characteristics and methods of use, and you have to learn the one(s) you want to play.

By the way, Smoke on the Water is not played on a single string.  It's played using double-stops, so you pluck two strings at the same time.  If I'm going to learn it, I'm going to learn the correct version.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2008, 12:12:19 pm »

I play a bar chord version of Smoke on the Water.
e
b
g
d 2     5      7    2    5     8 7   2   5    7    5  2
a 2     5      7    2    5     8 7   2   5    7    5  2
e       3      5          3     6 5        3    5    3

Hope this is understood well enough, the numbers are which frets you hold the strings on.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2008, 12:26:56 pm »

Yeah, I can read tabs (woohoo).  It's easier to write if you use the [ tt ] code to get monospaced font though.

Ha ha, I just remembered a YouTube video I saw one time of this festival that had over a thousand guitars playing Smoke on the Water at the same time.  Well, almost the same time.

It was volunteer stuff though, so you naturally got tons of people who only knew how to play the riff.  After a couple repetitions, you hear a few people who could actually play the song start into the rest of it.  But they got drowned out by everyone else just playing the riff.

Great fun.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2008, 01:09:51 pm »

Here's one song I recommend, if you haven't heard it before, listen to it once on youtube or something. Great song, easy to play.

Whisper A Prayer For The Dying
http://www.guitaretab.com/c/coverdale-page/4161.html - tab

Sadly, the only youtube video has quiet sound (at least played on my machine) and lastfm doesn't have a free full song up. I think. But if you turn up the youtube vid you should be able to hear it.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 01:15:19 pm by Helmaroc »

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2008, 01:31:21 pm »

Well kagus I tried, im outa ideas. Good luck on your romances in another country. Bout the one string, I was just trying to get you started. To helmarox, thx for the tabs.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2008, 02:23:02 pm »

Well, it's just that the meal will probably have to wait until we get a little better acquainted.  Seems a bit forward for the first joint activity.

But I hadn't thought about asking her to take me around town, and it's quite possible that she does know more about it than I do.  She did go out for bovling, after all.  I might try it sometime, once I figure out all the words needed to suggest it...

Going from a silver tongue to a wooden one is not a very fun transition.

And it's not a romance in another country.  I'm right here.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2008, 10:32:05 am »

Back to school.  Had my first day with extras today, with guitar as my chosen activity.

Well, it was pretty basic.  A bit behind where I am, but I expect things to catch up relatively soon.  And besides, I am apparently far enough ahead of the others that I could give a couple tips.

And I taught one guy the riff to Pretty Woman.  I started with Crazy Train, but that's a bit hard on fingers that are new to a guitar.  And I don't have much in my repertoire aside from those two.  Mostly just the intro to Sweet Home Alabama, and a few things I've made up.

But I'll probably be of some use when we start really learning chords.  I've got a few under my belt already, so I know a couple handy tricks.

If you want to be an expert, just find someone who knows less than you do...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2008, 03:13:42 pm »

Five after ten.  Seems everyone is in the rec room except her.

I have nothing to do and nobody to do it with.  I don't even feel like working on my DF projects.

Bugger it, I'm going to bed.  I really do hope I grow some guts in short order, as this silence is starting to get downright painful. 

The morrow will bring editing galore.  More work on the Hudø film, which has to be ready for viewing by Saturday. Hopefully, we won't suffer a timecode error and experience a system crash that will delay our efforts just a bit longer than we have.

Good night.  My brief glow as person-with-better-guitar-skills has come to an end with someone playing Black Dog in the music room.  And my feet are tired.

Really, I'm far more interesting at breakfast.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2008, 10:47:01 am »

Howdy fellas.   I'm currently logged into one of the library computers because there's something funky with the wireless network.

On top of the obvious problem, I appear to have encountered a user error.  I can't remember my password.

We each have personal passwords that we use for both logging into the wireless connection and logging into the public computers that are used around here (like this library computer, for instance).  Since I can't remember my own password, I had to log in as the administrator for this machine.  Y'know, the one that was never assigned a password.

On top of this lovely little twist, I have come down with a cold.  And on top of that, the footage that needs to be done *now* is pretty far from finished.  Furthermore, I have to sing at 7:30.  I hate singing when I'm sick.

Further-and-furthermore, Ye Olde Lass has been making herself open for advances.  I don't want to get her sick with whatever I've got, so I've kept my distance.  Bloody annoying, seeing as I don't normally see this much of her.  I'm also tired from a rough night, as I caught this bug yesterday afternoon.

Blurgh.  I really, really hope this damned virus craps out in short order.  I think I'll be clear for one major point that's coming up at least.

A party has been planned for the 20th, with transportation by bus for all the students who want to go and have some alcohol-free fun (very strict substance rules in this school, but it's great for someone who doesn't drink).  This thing feels weak enough to die out by then, seeing the state it's in after the first night (normally the turning point from annoyance to full-blown infection).

Hey, a guy can hope, right?

Our main footage problem is tghe time limit.  It's been decided that nobody will pay attention to a Hudø film that's longer than 13 minutes, so that's our maximum cap.  The film has also been divvied up into three groups, and the time limit split among them.

We need to have 5 minutes of footage or less.  We currently have 31.

The singing at 7:30 is the custom song the Film and TV group has been tasked with making for the Hudø film.  That's right, the Film and TV group.  Not Music.

Oh joy and grandeur...

Three minutes to seven.  Well, at least I'll be able to get some orange juice tomorrow morning for a little extra vitamin C intake.  I can hope that this thing dies tonight, but I really don't think that's happening.

I am not going to be playing Pandemic II again anytime soon...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2008, 08:56:21 am »

Well, I feel better today.  I think I'll either be clear tomorrow, or just be left with the "aftershocks" that come with certain ailments.

Today was the first full Friday at school, so we had a brand new segment of extra classes.  I still have the morning free, but I didn't do a whole lot with it other than practice half of the intro to "Sweet Home Alabama" on an acoustic guitar down in the music recording studio (the standard music room is being used for something else, and my neighbour was practicing guitar quite loudly.  Normally not a problem, but he was a hell of a lot better than I am, and I really didn't have the self-confidence to listen to him at that time). 

I had what's called "Filmkunnskap", which essentially means "the art of film".  This is an activity where we all watch a movie and then discuss it afterwards. 

Unfortunately, I do not really agree with the teacher.  It's the guy who looks a bit like Hugh Grant from certain angles. 

Quite sadly, he's not particularly creative.  He was giving us all a quick run-down of what the words "genre" and "drama" meant, and from the way he was presenting it I think he believes that the genre defines the movie, not the other way around.  Something I disagree with mightily.

He impressed the rest of the class with his statement that he has seen over 1400 movies, a number which isn't that much greater than my own viewing experience (admittedly, I probably wouldn't be able to remember 80% of them.  But still, size matters).

The movie we saw this time was "Once Were Warriors".  It had its good parts and its bad parts, and overall I found it to be good, but not as good as some of the other movies I've seen that also dealt with family hardships. 

The rest of the class found it to be rather amazing and powerful, however.  I felt almost like I did in India, like the people here just don't see enough movies to have seen the really good stuff. 

Heh.  Most people make comments about how the people they disagree with don't get out enough.  I make comments about them not staying in enough.

I'll end this update with a question...   Is anybody actually still interested in my blathering?  If not, then there's really no need for me to keep updating this.  And even I will admit that I get pretty damn depressing at times.

You know you're in trouble when you start annoying yourself...

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2008, 09:05:17 am »

i for one have read all of this from the beginning, and it has been fun to do so. i'm not sure why... i guess its just nice to know how foreign countries are and stuff...
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Gauteamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Ignitur!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2008, 10:03:46 am »

I also have enjoyed reading your history, Kagus. You have introduced me to  a new genre with your diary/self-biography/road movie. Being a norwegian myself, I hope you'll ask if you need any particular words/idioms/sentences/poems translated :-)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2008, 03:02:30 pm »

Keep it up!
It's almost on par with reading the dev. notes!
Maybe a bit better, for length.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2008, 05:09:02 pm »

You should rename this topic to "Kagus' Secret Public Journal"
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2008, 05:12:42 pm »

Kagus, even though you make me feel jealous because I never go anywhere, I still love to read about your adventures. Keep up the good work, though if you find writing this annoying then I guess you don't have to.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 30