Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 30

Author Topic: Sandy Fjord  (Read 88994 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Sandy Fjord
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2008, 05:01:58 am »

Straying a wee bit too far into the condom zone here.

Just got back from the first part of today's film class, where we talked about camera movement types and general film lingo.  Very important stuff, as you may well know.

I made a couple notes, but stopped after a while since I knew everything the teacher (who looks almost like Hugh Grant from time to time) was talking about.  Plus one or two minor points.

There was apparently a little bit of an overcrowding on the extra stuff list, so the guy handling that asked for around fifteen to sixteen people to willingly give up their otherwise obligatory activity in favor of three hours free time.

It's just one activity slot, and only until Christmas.  But still, that's three hours free every Friday before lunch.

As it turns out, my preferred activity for that time slot was philosophy (film, music, philosophy.  Man, I'm covering all the bases) which, since the leader of that particular course isn't at the school yet, only starts until after Christmas.

So, instead of having some activity that I really didn't want to do in the first place, I got some time to myself.

I'll probably use it to play cards.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2008, 08:03:37 am »

Philosophy? You would be like this when you played DF again:
Kagus:Hmm, if the dwarves dig here, then the mountain equibrillium would be destroyed.
Goblins: Urgha!
Kagus: Screw this, I'm going to apocalypse the world RIGHT NOW!
Urist McMiner: :singing
[Urist McMiner,Miner, attack the roots of the Mountain!]
[Mountain has been struck down]
Goblins: [Awesome destroyalal]

Kagus: Sh*t! I forget to record that....

Hahahahahaha

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2008, 06:03:27 pm »

Figures.  When I take the inevitable stumble, i can't just take a stumble.  i have to fail spectacularly.

Behold, me.  I'm wearing my fedora and my shades which were rather overpriced at $75.  I'm in a good mood.

I'm in such a good mood that I decide to stylishly hop down the two stairs in front of the exit door of this lobby-esque section of the main building (rec room to one side, gymnasium and school offices to the other).

I am interrupted mid-flight by a low-flying ceiling, which takes a drop right at the beginning of the stairs.

I crash head-first into the ceiling and begin to tumble in the air.  I'm more surprised than hurt at this point in time.

Then, I land on the steps.  I have gone forward and rotated enough so that I cushion the blow of the first step's corner with my hip.  Just imagine what might have happened if I hadn't been able to make that brilliant save.

I then slide down and give my ribcage a good rattling on the step.  It hurts when I sneeze or pull/push open a door.

Finally, to add insult to injury, my shades explode.  One lens is sent rocketing across to the other end of the room.  Interestingly enough, it is fully intact.  It's not even scratched.

The only truly broken thing about the shades is that one lens holder snapped. But it's a pretty clean break, so it shouldn't be too difficult to patch it back together again with some glue.

Speaking of glue, I don't have any.  I went around asking some of the other students if they had any, but the absurdity of going up to someone and asking "excuse me, do you have any glue?" made them think I was probably just struggling with the language.  I had to repeat myself multiple times, but at least I got to tell the story of my latest AIO (Argument with an Inanimate Object) a few more times.

I was actually remarkably lucky.  My phone happened to be in the pocket of the hip I landed on, and since I landed on the corner of the stair I somehow managed to miss the phone.  My hip may not like the way things turned out, but who cares what it thinks.

What do I have to show for my fall?  A small scrape on the third finger of my right hand.  I don't even know how I managed to get it in the first place, but it makes a very fitting battle scar.  Even though it won't scar.

The nail below it is also a little dark.

Tomorrow, Hudø.  No one really knows how to spell that, by the way. 

It's a small island that we'll be packing off to for a few days of fun and sun.  Everybody gets to just sit back, relax, get involved in a few fun activities, and generally chill out before getting back to school.

Well, almost.

Introducing, FILM CLASS!  Every year, the Film and TV course gets to record the Hudø trip and then show the finished (I.E. cut/edited) film afterwards, in case anyone forgot where they went.

So, yeah.  They get to relax, I'm supposed to film them relaxing.  And then edit the film afterwards.  And make it presentable for an audience within two weeks.

And I still can't pack everything I need into this damn bag.  And no, taking the condoms out of it (yes...  That bag...) won't help.  I'll just have to carry what I can't shove into it.

About sixteen students left earlier today on the Viking boat, which is named "Gaia" for a really idiotic reason.  I'd rather not talk about it right now, it's quarter over half one (12:45PM for you types not acquainted with how you're supposed to tell time), and I am very tired.

I need to trim my toenails soon.  Luckily, I have some free time Friday morning.

On the bright side, I've learned several new card games since coming to school.  Stress, Idiot, and President.  There's a joke in there somewhere, but it's far too late for me to see it clearly. 

Good night, back in a few days.

P.S.

I just did the numbers today.  There are eighteen girls on this floor, and eight guys.  Here we have today's fun fact:

Term for girl = pike
Slang term for penis = pikke

We have eight pikker and eighteen piker (Norwegian uses "r" or "er" to denote plural form).

I haven't started work on the first floor yet.

Two over one.  That's the latest I've stayed up yet.  And it's a busy day tomorrow.  Whee.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2008, 06:24:19 pm »

Nice fall. Ceiling hits are always the most humiliating. Keep it coming, this is rather entertaining.  ;D

Also, how is the food in Norway?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 06:27:20 pm by Helmaroc »

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2008, 09:27:47 pm »

This is an intresting topic, keep em coming. I'd like to know what studying abroad is like.

Though by the time I make it college I'm more than sure that studying abroad would be as imposible than passing college to get a degree of somesorts.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2008, 12:45:53 am »

Did I forget to mention going to a Folkehøyskole gives college credits?

Y'know, someone recently asked me how the food in Norway compared to food in the states.

There are a few major differences.  First, Americans do not have canned mackerel in tomato sauce (for sandwiches), caviar paste in a tube (for sandwiches), pickled herring (for sandwiches), or spreadable chocolate (for sandwiches).

Second, Norwegians do not have all-marshmallow cereals.

Third, Americans do not eat breakfast twice in one day.

That last thing is  called "kveldsmat", which amounts to "evening food".  Basically the same spread as it is for breakfast, just much later.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2008, 04:14:21 am »

Americans do not have spreadable chocolate (for sandwiches).
Wow, really? I have always thought of that as a very America-y product.

Keep up the updates (dare I say blog), Kagus. It's very interesting to read about your adventures and hear how foreign (or half-foreign) people see Scandinavia. Also I keep getting surprised how similar Norway seems to be to Finland.

For example:
Third, Americans do not eat breakfast twice in one day.

That last thing is  called "kveldsmat", which amounts to "evening food".  Basically the same spread as it is for breakfast, just much later.
Exactly the same in Finland. Except the name here is "iltapala" meaning "evening bit/piece"

ilta = evening/night
pala = a piece of something.

Breakfast  is "aamupala" ("morning piece")
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 04:17:16 am by LASD »

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2008, 10:55:21 am »

or spreadable chocolate (for sandwiches).

Spreadable chocolate? HOT DOG! You have to tell me what it's called!
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2008, 05:53:19 pm »

=\ is it weird that spreadable chocolate sounds discusting to me?
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2008, 05:59:56 pm »

Personally, I think chocolate simply does not go with bread. It plain does not.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Ryo

• Bay Watcher
  • Store item in stockpile
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2008, 06:04:19 pm »

=\ is it weird that spreadable chocolate sounds discusting to me?
Whaaaat? It's actually really nice - especially nutella (though that's hazelnut as well as chocolate).

And keep us informed on your everyday adventures, Kagus, it's nice to hear how things are going ;)

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2008, 06:14:53 pm »

Spreadable chocolate is called nutella in canada and I think its a product from the states. Its quiet good, its like penutbutter but tastes like chocolate.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2008, 06:17:04 pm »

=\ the more I think about it the more my stomic feels upset by the thought. Weird...It just realy dosnt sound good
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2008, 06:29:10 am »

Just got back from Hudø.  I'm tired.  There's a brand of spreadable chocolate called Sjoko.  There's also spreadable caramel.  I just misread that as camel.

Well, that was fun.  Got to take a trip on the viking ship (which happens to have a rather large motor in it.  I guess it's just a compact version of the times when viking sailors would strap five hundred horses to the boat and get them to start swimming), which was interesting.  I never knew how they worked the sail before.

We also had competitive rowing, which is quite entertaining when not a single person on your team has done coordinated rowing before (including the drummer).  I never knew so few people could hold a rhythm.

Then there was the treasure hunt, which my team eventually just gave up on after suffering two injuries and getting tired of rock climbing.  The dark-clad pirate enthusiast singer is still limping a bit.

As for accommodations, I first went to the wrong colony.  When I got to the one I was supposed to be in, all the rooms had already been taken.  Some of the girls were asked if they would be willing to share a room with a guy (there were a couple rooms that had only three beds taken up, and those were occupied by the feminine gender), but that was of course a fleeting joke of an idea.

So, after a little searching, two more rooms were found.  These were spacious, had only two beds each, and were stocked with sinks, cabinets and desks of their own.  I ended up in one of these.

But wait, there's more.  After a bit of looking around my new room, I found an odd key.  I tried it on the cabinet, but that wasn't the right one.  I tried it on the desk drawers, but those were all blocked.

Then I saw an odd box on the wall, and stuck the key in.  Unlocking it was a little bit tricky, but I managed.  Then I saw what was inside.

The power box.

Before you ask, no, I did not succumb to temptation and start flinging switches with malicious glee.  I did have some fun with a slight side effect of it though.

The room was directly adjacent to a little open entryway for the rest of the housing complex.  One door led to my room, another led to the other "deluxe" room, and the central door led into the main section where all the other rooms were.

On the second night, I decided to go to bed a bit before everyone else.  I was tired, and I wasn't getting anything out of the crowd that I wanted.  I made my way back to my building and into the room, where I started looking for a light switch.

Well, I found one.  Except it didn't turn on any lights in my room. 

The entryway was flooded with light as its own personal bulb flared into glory.  Two girls who had just entered the entryway and were making their way to the main structure gave shrieks of surprise as they were blasted with light and the image of a groggy me standing in the doorway.

I smiled at them politely and said "excuse me".

This, of course, was solid gold.  I waited at the door until I detected someone passing, and then I would shut off the light.  The first time I did it, I spooked some guy who started warbling as he shook the shock off.

The second time was perfection.  I could hear a couple girls walking towards the entrance from inside the building, and I settled in for the pounce.  They started across the small area when the lights suddenly go out.  There's an "oy!" of surprise, and then they slow down and wait for their eyes to adapt to the darkness after what is certainly either a power failure or some sort of timed "lights out".

Then it turns back on again.  There's a light titter of laughter at whatever mistake caused the slight lapse of light, and then they start off again.

Out goes the light.  They stop, there's a little more laughter at the unusual electrical display.  The light pops on again, and one of them jokingly mentions "ghosts".

It is at this moment that I put on my best "EEEeeeheehee!" face and open the door just enough to stuick my head out.  I chuckle maliciously, and howls of laughter erupt from them as I retreat back into my lair.

I would have to say, bloody well done.

I ranked up a couple other points with the female persuasion that day.  Just the little things that have a funny way of being worth more than you give them credit for.

I gave a thorough foot massage to one girl who had tired feet after this one activity that had everyone running around the island.  Foot massages are a great way to get in good graces, as they're not exclusively lovey-dovey in their purpose and thus do not have much pressure associated with them.

But then I came across a new and remarkably effective means of getting a good reputation.  I was sitting next to a group of girls during the evening singing and fire.  I had positioned myself behind the first row of them so I could look over the shoulder of one and read the songbook to get all the lyrics for the current song. 

There was a stack of songbooks behind a rock down near the fire, but this was more rewarding.

Anyways, after a while of sitting like that, the second row arrived and took up position next to me.  After some time, the girl sitting directly adjacent to me started toying with the hair of the one holding the songbook.  All good fun.

I was finding innovative ways of making the absolute most of my jacket, and exposing as little skin to the rigid air as possible.  One of these attempts was apparently rather entertaining to the assembled group, so I made the most of it.

Anyways, after a while of this, I realized I must have significantly warmer hands than the girl next to me, who was still tying braids and other unusual things into songbook-holding-girl's hair.  I warmed my hands on my stomach for that extra kick, and then motioned for her to give me her hand.

Something as simple as a hand-to-hand warmth transfer managed to get several coos and other appreciative noises from those witnessing it, and also one mention of "I've got a new best friend".  She also had to show off her new warm hands, something which sounds very strange in text.

So, yeah.  Foot massages (well, extremity massages.  Hands are also good) and small heat transfers.  Unfortunately, both of those newly-realized talents have become a little more difficult with the return to a school environment.

I also don't have a power box in my room anymore.

But, hey.  You know you've got it good when one group of girls agrees that you are "tøff" (lit. "tough".  Often used as a Norwegian version of "cool").

Another group told me I looked like Brandon Lee in "The Crow", just without the makeup.  I'm not sure how to take that.

EDIT:  Just did some more counting.  In this entire building, first and second floors, there are 38 girls and 18 guys.  You'd think I would see more of them.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2008, 05:35:57 pm »

View 290, reply 29.  Good timing.

Just got back from a walk with a few folks.  It rained.  No one was wearing rain clothes, because it wasn't going to rain.  I was soaked.  My felt hat got quite wet before I decided my head could take more water than it could.  I'm hoping for the best.

We went to Kebab King for some food and shelter from the rain.  First time I've had a foot massage turned down, but it was done so with a wording that made up for the accepted times.

But I managed to get a certain amount of favor with the group as a whole by showing off my ability to put my foot behind my head.  I do, however, know that I'm going to be kicking myself for offering the footrub.  It's just the way I am.

I also found out (I think) that this one girl I've been considering is apparently spoken for.

My roommate, on the other hand, was given directions by a girl to her room and was accompanied by a small group of them to tonight's movie.

Speaking of tonight's movie, it was a Norwegian parody of Kill Bill. 

You know, there's been a lot of really good humor coming out of Norway.  Some very fine comic performances and material claim Norway as their hometown.  This was not one of them.

Unfortunately, it seems to have become an overnight smash hit among the students.  Everyone is saying things in a mimicked voice of one of the film's characters, a heavily retarded man.  And no one here is aware of the fact that they really shouldn't anticipate agreement when they ask for my opinion.

Tomorrow will have a few activities, and then after that it's the official start of the school year.  For two days.  Then it's vacation time, where we have to vacate the school for a couple weeks.

Also, my phone is behind by one day.  And I lost the necklace one of the teachers made for me on the island.

Crikey, time for vacation...  My folks are still here in Norway, and were wondering if it was alright for them to take me back to my granddad's farm (where they're staying) for that time.  I feel strange with the knowledge that they fully expect for me to have completely integrated and made lots of friends, maybe even found other plans for vacation time.  Do you know what it's like, telling your parents that no, you don't have anyone to take along with you?

Heck, even one of the girls I considered to be a friend seems to be avoiding me.  Or at least ignoring.

Hell and damnation...   I'm really not that bad a guy, I just need a chance to prove it.

Ah, don't mind me.  My battery's running low.  I start off in the morning with lots of enthusiasm and verve, but as darkness falls the spring in my step seeps away and is replaced with melancholia.

That, and my clothes are wet.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 30