Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [LCS]Skill glitches  (Read 5984 times)

Khlor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[LCS]Skill glitches
« on: May 17, 2008, 04:10:00 am »

One of my Liberals has an unnamed skill. Her skill list shows the following:
code:
Teacher
Teaching:       6.00
Gangsterism:    1.00
:               1.00

Also, the Security skill of my founder won't raise over 6.17, no matter how much I pick locks in various apartments.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
Re: [LCS]Skill glitches
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 08:59:00 am »

I've seen that, yeah... there's an unnamed sill, and I'm not sure what it is.

For your founder's skill not increasing, were you successfully picking every lock? It may be that your founder has already mastered cheap door locks. Higher level security skill ceases to improve your ability to pick door locks and works on your ability to break cage locks and eventually safes. To improve further, you may need to practice on those.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 10:18:00 am »

The difficulty level of picking apartment door locks went down in one of the recent releases, so the max security skill you can get there also dropped as it's based off the difficulty.   I was a little sad when I noticed that too, but OTOH it doesn't make sense that somebody could become one of the world's greatest lockpickers by doing the same cheap apartment locks over and over.  

Looks like most of the other pick difficulties were reduced too, so an insanely high skill isn't so necessary any more.

Edit:  Quick check and it looks like it's "Survival" that somehow lost it's name string.

[ May 17, 2008: Message edited by: gimlet ]

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 10:35:00 am »

Thanks, I'll take care of it then. I thought it might be Tactics, but adding a string for Tactics didn't help. I'm not sure I've ever seen a character start with Tactics skill (which is good; it's not used for anything yet).

Edit: Note that skill caps in general went down recently, so yeah, I did reduce the security scale across the board. It means that door locks are easier -- anyone can do them with a bit of patience and luck. Other things, like safes, are much harder, and require a lot of experience with higher-end things before you can crack them.

[ May 17, 2008: Message edited by: Jonathan S. Fox ]

viskaslietuvai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 10:56:00 am »

Not that it is particularly a problem, but I had one guy start with 1 tactics. It was either a hippie or a college student.
The open way's too dangerous / Listen close they're watching us
One more time you're losing us / Hold still they're shooting us
First wave down / I wonder when they're coming back
First wave intact
-Secret Machines- First Wave Intact
Gobbo Invasion Song!

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 02:35:00 pm »

whats the current skill cap for leadership?

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 02:55:00 pm »

Leadership skill cap is 5. This is possible at over 500 juice.

A little Leadership goes a long way though, it's a very potent skill. It should probably be scaled down and made half as powerful, with twice the cap.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 06:52:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 10:09:37 pm by penguinofhonor »

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 07:36:00 pm »

LCS does not have partial skill levels; the numbers after the decimal are an indicator of how much experience you have toward the next level. The game doesn't prevent you from gaining experience toward the next level when you're at the skill cap, it simply withholds that level when you reach the correct amount of experience. That way, if your cap later increases, you'll instantly gain the level if you have enough experience. As a result, the cap on displayed skill for Leadership is 5.99+. So if you have 5.17, that simply means that you are at level 5, and have 17% of the experience it would take to get from 5 to 6, if it were possible to get to level 6.

You shouldn't have to have the successor near the leader, it goes through everyone when checking for new leaders. But auto-promotions are a bit broken right now, and that may include the founder too. I need to go over that all again and make sure everything's working correctly.

One to-do is to have a way to buy and sell cars. Cars will probably be sold cheaply for parts or something at the black market.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 10:40:00 am »

« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 10:09:44 pm by penguinofhonor »

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 01:00:00 pm »

I take it this person was NOT your founder's only subordinate?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 04:46:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 10:09:52 pm by penguinofhonor »

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 04:56:00 pm »

Well, I'll definitely take a good look at autopromotions, losing contact, etc.. Currently I'm in the process of tearing everything apart. By the time I put it together again, this might be working again, or it might need specific attention still. But I'll check it out when I get there.