Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Legal System suggestions  (Read 1887 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Legal System suggestions
« on: October 20, 2008, 04:21:01 am »

The talk about the legal system (and insomnia) got the old brain ticking and I thought of a couple things to suggest.

Legal Retainer:
When you've recruited or brainwashed a lawyer, you can have them openly represent your movement while taking no part in it's actions.  A lawyer on retainer can't function as a sleeper or agent but can get you:

Bail:
A day to a week of a member of your member getting nabbed you will have the opportunity to put up bail, the size of which depends on the severity of the crime and the skill of your lawyer.  For minor crimes bail lets you get out and commit crimes again then show up on your court date rather then sit in the clink for two months over one count of disturbing the peace.  Getting caught commiting crime while out on bail reflects poorly on your court chances.  You have the option of skipping bail but will be found guilty without defense and have a bench warrant placed for your arrest.  Your lawyer on retainer might get that guilty plea overturned and have a new trial date set if they're skilled.

Also:
Misdemeanors and summery trials:
If arrested for a non-violent crime (disturbing the peace, vandalism, arson) you will be released without putting up bail but have to attend court in one or two months (skipping over arraignment because fun>realism).  A summery trial takes place where there is no jury, only a judge, who's political leanings affect the result much more then a juries ("You feel unease as you watch the judge systematically rule every defendant before you guilty over the course of the day.")  Court appointed attorney's and ace attorney's are not available but the prosecution is much weaker.  A sleeper judge will always rule innocent.  If you are defending yourself and have law skill you might get the case thrown out on a technicality.  If you have a lawyer on retainer they might get the case thrown out as well.  Misdemeanor convictions result in fines and/or community service (resulting in an agent being unavailable a few days to a couple weeks as they do their hours.)
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legal System suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 06:20:48 pm »

Misdemeanor convictions result in fines and/or community service (resulting in an agent being unavailable a few days to a couple weeks as they do their hours.)

...unless, of course, the justice system is sufficiently Wise. "Disturbing the peace of our fine city, were you? Son, you gonna hang."

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 06:31:04 pm »

I'm pretty sure the CCS is already running the country at that point.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 07:54:07 pm »

A legal retainer publically declaring itself a member of a terrorist organization doesn't really sound like a smart idea. The government would just arrest and interrogate your legal retainer (or just eavsedrop on the legal retainer to learn that the legal retainer was smuggling messages from your Leader in prison...and then arrest the legal retainer with that charge).
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 12:28:44 am »

A legal retainer publically declaring itself a member of a terrorist organization doesn't really sound like a smart idea. The government would just arrest and interrogate your legal retainer (or just eavsedrop on the legal retainer to learn that the legal retainer was smuggling messages from your Leader in prison...and then arrest the legal retainer with that charge).

Having the retainer get caught should be a possibilty. But, if your movement is wide enough(newspaper, charties, etc), he should be able to sue to be released.

I also think that having a major figure in your organization arrested should generate publicity and public support/loathing(depends on public opinions).

Maybe, if there's a death penalty annouced and it's an elite liberal country, the jail should be rushed by the public and the figure(s) freed, thus becoming a kind of Magnicent Seven?
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 04:02:28 am »

It's not hard to maintain plausible deniability.  The lawyer has no part in the groups crimes.  There's nothing illegal about defending people in a court of law, whether they be guilty or not.  And arbitrarily arresting people without any sort of due process is doubly bad for the governments image when these people can speak at length in public about why their arrest is illegal.

If the IRA can have a political party I fail to see why the LCS can't have a legal consul.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 08:45:25 am »

It would depend on the status of certain laws. Free speech mainly (with free association probably being tucked into it). Also police regulation level.

ChemicalVengence

• Bay Watcher
  • No, seriously...
    • View Profile
    • ChemicalVengence NG account
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 04:54:03 pm »

It's not hard to maintain plausible deniability.  The lawyer has no part in the groups crimes.  There's nothing illegal about defending people in a court of law, whether they be guilty or not.  And arbitrarily arresting people without any sort of due process is doubly bad for the governments image when these people can speak at length in public about why their arrest is illegal.

If the IRA can have a political party I fail to see why the LCS can't have a legal consul.
also, the court system would probably count being a terrorist member the same as being a gang member. Most gang members dont go out in the streets proclaiming it to cops, but you cant be arrested for being in a gang, so it's probably the same for terrorists, they cant arrest you for that, but you could have a chance of being followed back to a hideout, thus giving way to new raids...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 05:44:10 pm »

Some of mine:

You should be able to dirrect your Lawyer to attempt to make your case one for the Supreme Court to force issues.

Also after looking at the notes for the Super Lawyer, I am saddened that he is so overpowered (5000 money is nothing, or at least a lot less work then getting the sleepers needed). If you could beef up his opponent so that there is a real risk of him showing up.

You should be able to call "Character Witnesses" from Sleepers or even other members of your team who are clean.

Set your team member as a Martr. They will automatically will fail the court case (by admitting guilt), however depending by how much they would have won the case by is how much support they will gain by the community.